SBS - The best value in QMS software

Result of a Flatness MSA on a CMM

B

Black arrow

Hello,

I need some support from you experts concerning a result i recently had from a MSA concerning flatness.

1 operator
20 parts
3 repetitions

One sided tolerance (Flatness)=> Only enter upper tolerance limit 0.05 in minitab.

Measuring equipment: CMM

This CMM is used for both inspection and for cap.studies.

As you can see % Tolerance. % Study Var & ndc are acceptable.

But part 12 & 39 are out of control limit in R-chart.

What conclusions can i take from that? Is this MSA only partly acceptable now?

I have checked the surfaces on part 12 & 39 and can not see anything suspect. So i have no good explanations concerning the deviations for those two results when it becomes to values out of control limit.

Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
I recommend carefully examining both parts for the presence of a surface flaw that might have skewed the results. If your CMM stores the individual XYZ data that make up the flatness, see if one of the points has an unusual value for the (I'm guessing) Z value.

B

Black arrow

I have checked the plots and i can not see any unusal. In another hand the sample range (max-min) for part 12 is 0.001347 mm, it is quite small value.

J

Jhintze

You really should be using more than one operator for the MSA, even with a CMM. Your variation is going to come from fixturing, cleanliness of the part, etc. You may be surprised to learn the amount of variation there is between operators in automated inspection.

That said, I agree with Black Arrow. The range of 0.001347 mm is very small, especially in comparison to 50 mm. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

If your CMM is measuring in inch, the range is a good percentage of your tolerance and should be investigated. Maybe there was burr or other defect on the two parts that the CMM picked up.

RSEGRIGGY

Involved In Discussions
Your program itself can have a lot of variation, depending on how you write it. Number of hits, probing system, machine speed, alignment, algorithm, etc....

Since it seems these two parts are an issue, I'd look at them a little closer. Are they sitting on an uneven surface? Is the part restrained?

We have a part that sits on a cast face. Sometimes the variations in the cast part would allow the part to rock when probing the machined surface. Could that be the case here?

Could there be some type of transient vibration, electrical surge, or air supply issue?

B

Black arrow

Thanks. I will tomorrow do some tests on the parts that are in focus. E.g 50 measurings without taking the part from yhe fixture. Then measure the part 50 times, and taking it away and mount it again between the measurings. Just as a first step...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K 510k FDA review, will they accept Biocompatibility result generated using feasibility product lots? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 8
M Calibration Certificate Result issued by an accredited external laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
silentmonkey How to measure severity if my product is designed for emergency use and failure would result in death? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
S Indication of Inoperable ECG test result IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
R Ford Q1 Manufacturing Site assessment result Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
L Procedure for Comparing the Monitor Reading with Laboratory Result Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
D What is the appropriate way to write a conclusion from a % contribution result? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
W Is the GR&R result caused by the wide spec range? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
O Audit Result Breakdowns by ISO 9001 Requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
D How Working Standard Calibration result use in Verification of Equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
B MSA result on parts measured with a CMM Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
B Non Acceptable % Tolerance Result - Decrease Sorting Limits Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
B One sided tolerance Cylindricity - Result from MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 10
5 Reasonable GRR result for a 0-1" micrometer with a total tolerance of .002" Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 16
S Poll result difference : how do you read it? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
R Definition KRA - (Key Result Area) - Definition Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
R KRA's (Key Result Area) for a QA Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
Y Poor Gage R&R Results - High R&R result and poor ndc value Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
D MSA (Measurement System Analysis) on a Bore Measurement - Good or bad result? Six Sigma 9
E Inter-Laboratory Proficiency Testing Result Analysis - z Score or Normalized Error General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Surveillance Audit Result - Multiple Audit Nonconformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Profilometer GR&R and MSA - Cpm as a result in Minitab? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
J Need help calculating actual Ppk - Result of % GR&R=11.8% when conducting MSA Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
R How to judge the result of Cord Bending Test? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
Q Presenting the Root Cause result in a one slide .ppt Powerpoint file Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
O What is the best approach for Audit Result Ranking? General Auditing Discussions 4
Q What's wrong with my data? MSA result showed very high % R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
E Minitab Regression Analysis to predict Horse Racing result Using Minitab Software 2
T Testing Result Claims based on Testing Data Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 3
C Balanced Scorecard and KRA (key result area) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
S Error Accumulation - Combined Result without going to Partial Derivitaves Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
D Improving coefficient correlation result Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
I Partial Least Square Regression Result - Question Using Minitab Software 3
Y Is it weird for my conducted immunity (4-6) test result? Need help. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
L ISO 14644 Result Sheets for Particle monitoring and related monitoring? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
T SPC Data - Autocorrelation - How do I interpret this result? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 17
C Strange test result form - CFG-1003 form Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
Q Interpreting calibration result of Air Particle Counter on Counting efficiency General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S OPL (Open Point List) in audit - Incoming inspection result Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
M Do nonconformances always result in corrective action ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 67
C Show cause letter given as a result of a minor non-conformity raised by CB Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
H What is 'Direct Run First Time Quality Result' - IATF Guide, Para 7.4.3.2? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
J Correlation using t-test and correlation coefficient - What is the correct result? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 43
P How to Interpret Caliper GR&R (Gage R&R) Graphical Result Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R What is this formula? Translating Gage R&R result to something easy to grasp Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 2
M Wrong Calibration / Verification Result - Height gauge IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K X bar & R Chart Result - Analysis of the Graph Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 28
A Micrometer Gage R&R Study Not Accpetable - Result of %R&R of 85,4% Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
C Sample Size in Destructive Pull Test and Interpretation of Test Result IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
I Can a response to audit NC result in another NC (nonconformance)? General Auditing Discussions 5