Resume Critique - Please review my resume

J

jdm2008

I hope this post is allowed in this forum. I didn't see anything in the rules to make me believe it isn't allowed. I've attached my resume I'd like to get some feedback. After I was laid off in February I was getting plenty of leads on opportunities and was offered a job right away(only a couple weeks unemployed) but now that my contract job is coming to an end, I haven't heard a peep. Wondering what people think of this resume. I've cut and pasted the resume as well as attaching the file. I'm hoping for some comments.

Jack Smith
75 Main Street , New York, NY, 00000, 888-888-8888,

SUMMARY
Recent Manufacturing Engineering graduate with design, process improvement and cost analysis experience.
• Successfully implemented process improvement projects at The Pepsi Bottling Group and Biogen Idec.
• Broad base of knowledge and experience applying statistical and engineering tools such as Six Sigma and Lean manufacturing to improve quality and productivity.

SKILLS
Computer Skills: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Project, Microsoft Access
Engineering Skills: Statistical Process Control, Lean Manufacturing, AutoCAD, Six Sigma, Process Improvement

EXPERIENCE
Company X, New York, NY, 2009-Present
Vascular Therapy Test Technician (Temporary)
• Works as a contractor for Kelly Services.
• Designs components (electronics package, manifold) for the controller of a pneumatic compression device to treat thrombosis while conforming with space, noise, power and port requirements.
• Researches and selects components (valves, sensors and other parts) to be integrated into the controller design that contributes to the controller meeting project requirements.
• Performs testing in order to discover and optimize the relationship between inflation time, noise and various other inputs (pump size, valve type, materials etc.) while minimizing the size and weight of the controller.
Company Y, New York, NY, 2008-2009
Quality Control Management Trainee
• Instituted a preventive maintenance program for pneumatic valves and pumps, and completed cost justification for the cost of the program compared to the savings in increased efficiency and less out of standard product. The program will save an estimated $15,000 per year in out of standard production and downtime.
• Trained quality control technicians on testing protocols to enhance quality and productivity.
• Participated with operators and quality control technicians in committee activity to evaluate quality issues, determine root cause, and generate/implement solutions.
• Wrote procedures for sanitation of piping that minimized loss of product.
• Implemented an inspection program for all brittle plastic and glass parts to comply with audit requirements.
Company Z, New York, NY, 2008
Senior Project/Early Industry Interface
• Performed design review, and modifications to improve a magnetic spinner flask and base assembly used to culture cells during the manufacture of protein based biological drugs.
• Designed experiments to effectively gather data on a process that produced out of specification output in order to ascertain the source of variation.
• Improved manufacturing process by designing and building a prototype fixture that allowed multiple size flasks to be simultaneously secured and centered on the spinner base and that kept the temperature of the media within specification. .
• Responsible for specifying materials that met operating, environment, toxicity, and economic requirements.
• Developed testing procedures to ensure all project objectives were satisfactorily completed.
• Implemented Lean principles throughout the protein based drug manufacturing process.
• Designed manifold so that nutrient bag could be connected to an autoclave and sanitized correctly.

EDUCATION
Bachelor of Science, Manufacturing Engineering, Boston University, 2008.
School Design/Manufacturing Projects
• Participated in a group project to design and manufacture 10 remote control cars. Manufactured cars utilizing an automated milling machine and robotics. Personal responsibilities included conceptual design, and creating an automation plan to simulate actual commercial production.
• Participated in a project with the purpose of studying the effects of reworking failed parts on the performance of an entire production line. Used Arena, and Excel to construct a model that measured how throughput and total number of parts that were tardy (given a deadline for each part) changed as the parameters changed.

ACTIVITIES/ASSOCIATIONS
Minority Engineers' Society
Society of Manufacturing Engineers

Attachments

• Website Resume.doc
    52 KB · Views: 163
W

wmarhel

Your summary is a key part of the resume don't blow it. Put some solid facts here about your improvement projects: how much you saved, benefit to the company, etc. At one point or another, practically everyone has been on a some sort of process improvement project, so it is the results that separate the men from the boys.

Also, take the two bullet points out from education area and put them up under the experience heading. Unless your trying for an academic position, the education area is likely reviewed by an HR person to just some 'tick' marks on her checklist.

Wayne

Last edited by a moderator:

BradM

Leader
Admin
That is actually a pretty decent resume for starters.

Wayne actually captured most of the concern I had. Try to elevate yourself above the others by quantifying your activities.
For computer skills, I might just list proficiency in Microsoft Office. Are there any databases/proprietary systems that you have used that might be relevant?
Again, try to put realistic percentage/ dollars amounts next to the initiatives/ improvements.
For activities/associations, did you have any that might be relevant, but not on the engineer society path?

There are a few general things that I hope provide some help to you. We appreciate you dropping by the Cove.:bigwave:

J

jdm2008

That is actually a pretty decent resume for starters.

Wayne actually captured most of the concern I had. Try to elevate yourself above the others by quantifying your activities.
For computer skills, I might just list proficiency in Microsoft Office. Are there any databases/proprietary systems that you have used that might be relevant?
Again, try to put realistic percentage/ dollars amounts next to the initiatives/ improvements.
For activities/associations, did you have any that might be relevant, but not on the engineer society path?

There are a few general things that I hope provide some help to you. We appreciate you dropping by the Cove.:bigwave:

Thanks for all the comments everybody.
As to a couple questions that were asked. For databases/proprietary systems I have used others(things for recording production, units produced etc), and one system used to manage loading warehouse trucks, but using these was pretty simple and I had no real input to design, mostly just data entry and observation. Do you think I should list these But these things were used for mostly data entry.

I do have other associations I have participated in. The only other one I sometimes list is that I was captain of my high school cross country team. I only put this on however if the ad specifically mentions leadership experience required. Should I list this all the time(I am 23 if that matters)? Other than that I have done a few things, National Honors Society, Model Court, Marathon Club. But these(besides Marathon Club) are mostly in high school. I have been a part of some other networking type groups, but I dont know if I should mention them either as I didn't have any leadership or even staffing type position.

BradM

Leader
Admin
I appreciate you checking back with us.:agree1:
Now... I will offer some opinions. I would imagine hope that others would have a different perspective.

Thanks for all the comments everybody.
As to a couple questions that were asked. For databases/proprietary systems I have used others(things for recording production, units produced etc), and one system used to manage loading warehouse trucks, but using these was pretty simple and I had no real input to design, mostly just data entry and observation. Do you think I should list these But these things were used for mostly data entry.

I would put it on there. I would state proficient in Office, and add the other systems. It may not contribute to design, but shows that you have learned other systems, and have expanded your knowledge. General database experience is a plus. I might add a sentence to your experience with them.

I do have other associations I have participated in. The only other one I sometimes list is that I was captain of my high school cross country team. I only put this on however if the ad specifically mentions leadership experience required. Should I list this all the time(I am 23 if that matters)? Other than that I have done a few things, National Honors Society, Model Court, Marathon Club. But these(besides Marathon Club) are mostly in high school. I have been a part of some other networking type groups, but I dont know if I should mention them either as I didn't have any leadership or even staffing type position.

Now... opinions differ on this. Some people like seeing other social activities and such on a resume. Others claim it could strike against you, and that there is no place for it. I tend to be in the latter. However, :) you have an extremely strong/solid resume in engineering/design. Maybe consider adding an item or two showing you are also sociable, and you have a life outside of work.:D

smryan

Perspective.
... For databases/proprietary systems I have used others(things for recording production, units produced etc), and one system used to manage loading warehouse trucks, but using these was pretty simple and I had no real input to design, mostly just data entry and observation. Do you think I should list these But these things were used for mostly data entry. ....
Yes, list them - with appropriate proficiency descriptors. "Proficient user" "Expert user" "Familiar with" "Able to program in/with" "Able to write macros for"

Also don't sacrifice to fit on one page. Wow them with the summary and accomplishments and they will gladly flip to page two. Readability of font and layout is more important that fitting a career history on a single page.

And good luck - its a tough market out there right now. :)

Top Bottom