Retention List - Documents and Records with mandated retention periods

D

Debra Woodford

Retention List???? I know that some of the documents on the list have mandated retention periods, such as Customer blue prints, and insp & test records, PPAPS, but how do you determine the retention period of the other documents that have to be retained?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
L

Lassitude

Well, you just ask yourself how long you should keep a record. I assume you're talking quality records. Some will be defined by QS9000 and some by customer or other (government, for example) source. Some will only be defined by you. No magic to help you.

D

Debra Woodford

Thank you, If only we had some "Magic" to make this whole process go a little smoother.

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
when asking how long to keep a record, look at how long it is useful..... Is it fair to Say a customer or your process guy may call 2 years from now and need to see it? is it fair to say after 30 days no-one would ever need it (for instance, something else would take its place. OR.....Once it has been entered into the computer we never go back to the hard copy....so keep it till the end of the day...or till it is entered. Its not cast in stone, if you choose a lousy time frame, change it (up or down).....Make it meaningful...'Cause whatever you choose you and your customers have to live with..Don't save stuff you don't really need.

[This message has been edited by barb butrym (edited 16 August 1999).]

D

Debra Woodford

Thanks Barb, but doesn't the computer files also need to be on the retention list and have a specified time for disposal? So the hard copy being destroyed end of day, or once it is entered would be ok, then the electronic data for ????? Anyway I think I am getting the idea If it's not mandated by customer,QS9000 or government standards it's all up to what we decide is a long enough time frame Right?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
One of my current ISO clients is a trucking company. I ws talking to the fellow who runs the maintenance. We were talking about the records he keeps of truck checks before going out and the checks coming in. I asked him why he only kept the records for 6 months. He said he used to keep them for 2 years. Then after a couple of years there was too much paper accumulating and reduced it to a year "...since no one asked me anything about any of them in those first couple of years..." Then, a few years later, he said, he reduced it to 6 months because still no one ever asked to see them. No other requirement - so - it made sense to me so 6 months was fine for me, too.

You can go into the details but much comes up to common sense. But - as I always say - Can You Explain This to the auditor?

barb butrym

Quite Involved in Discussions
I was thinking more of backup stuff you didn't need to keep...but yes...if its an electronic record, it needs a retention period...a matrix is the easiest incase you haven't gotten that far yet. Be sure to include what happens at the end of the retention period.....as in shred classified stuff if it applies.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
QS requires (in 4.16.1) "The supplier shall eventually dispose of records." That's their liability fear showing.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Retention period of documents and records ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1
R Document Retention - Discard hard-copies after scanning? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Defining and Documenting Record Retention CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
Q AS9120B flow down to external providers: Records Retention AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
WEAVER Retention of golden samples for GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
N ISO 13485 Quality Record Retention Period ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L VDA 1 Documented Information and Retention (new revision 4, August 2018) VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 0
Gman2 Quality Record Retention (Internal Audits, CA's) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Mobile app data privacy - Length of record retention in a software app Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
L Pest Control Log Retention Time Frame ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T MDR - Regarding the “Retention Period” of Documents and Records CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
S. Moore Record Retention - How long must a company keep the following records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 17
K Our local sterilizer is closing - Record Retention Question 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
C Record retention for defunct customers? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
A Determining Retention Period for Medical Device QMS documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
D Document Retention Policy IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Interpretation of Customer Specific Requirements of Continental - Records Retention Customer and Company Specific Requirements 6
T Record Retention Requirements - IATF 16949 Clause 7.5.3.2.1 Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 15
D PMA A&P Document (i.e. Promotional Brochures, Flyers) Retention Requirements Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
J Retention Requirements of Complaint Medical Devices Customer Complaints 2
Pmarszal FDA Global UDI Database: Record Submission Retention Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
WCHorn Flowdown of Aerospace record retention requirements (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
L GMW15920-2010 Records Retention for GM Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
S Retention time requirement for various for quality records Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 1
x-files Control of Records - Retention Time vs. Retention Period Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
V Tie-wrap pull test to verify contact retention Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Records Retention and Disposition - ISO 9001:2008 Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
D Production Record Retention Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 9
V Inactive Gauge Retention Time - PPAP Section 6 Requirements APQP and PPAP 1
D Contact Retention Tools Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C Financial Records Retention Requirements for a Manufacturing Company Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
S Retention of Training Records question Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
S Are there any new FDA requirements on Record Retention ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
J Should Documents and Records Retention pertaining to Implants retained for 15 years? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
C Retention of Clinical Trial Data after a Clinical Trial has ended Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
H Layered Process Audit Hard Copy Records Retention Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 6
S Aerospace Record Retention Requirements Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 5
F AS9100 Records Retention Time Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
D Question... Record retention Prior to FDA NDA application and approval Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 3
M Pharmaceutical Product Sample Retention Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
C Record retention/retrieval for 30+ years? (The lifespan of the medical device) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N Notification Sample Regarding Record Retention ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
CalRich Retention of First Piece from each Production Run IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
D MSDS Datasheet Retention Requirements and Responsibilities RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
R Retention Period requirements for DMFs (Drug Master Files) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
I Retention Time of Paint Batch Panels once Validation completed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
M Record Retention requirements for Safety Items Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
S Electronic Record Retention per FDA Requirements - Electronic Data Capture (EDC) Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4