Retired equipment that was never validated

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
Our engineering group just recently retired a piece of equipment that was currently on our Master Validation Plan gap list. This piece of equipment was making product that never had the software validated. In addition, it was identified that the equipment also needed cleaning validation, which was never conducted. We do not plan on using this equipment again.

My question is from a compliance side, is there something we should do? For example a memo to file stating that the equipment made good product and it has no risk for both cleaning and software?

Also, this piece of equipment did have equipment qualification performed but neither cleaning or software validation was involved in that.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dubrizo

Involved In Discussions
Hi Peter,

I would base this retrospective decision on risk.
-1st stop: Does your QMS give direction on this topic?
-Can you prove to your customer or an auditor that the product which touched that machine is built to Spec/Print and is in no way OOT?
-Are there other cases where validations have been missed or not completed per schedule. This includes software as well as hardware.
-What is your gut saying is the right thing to do in this situation? AKA, the smell test.

My $.02

PeterLe

Involved In Discussions
Hi Dubrizo, I really appreciate your reply. I'll answer your questions below.

1) Our QMS does not give direction on this topic. The only direction is when retiring equipment, it must be calibrated before retirement. This has been completed.

2) The purpose of this equipment was to fill a chamber with solution and also seal the chamber. We do conduct pull testing on the seal on random samples. In addition, we do Bio-Burden testing on samples once a month. The data shows since conducting Bio-Burden testing, the equipment has never failed. We can provide that data if asked.

3) We have a massive gaps in our validation program (which we are addressing via a CAPA). So yes, we have plenty of instances of validation not complete. Luckily we do have a lot of downstream checks that check output. But we have many examples like the one I described above where we are just missing validations of software, cleaning, equipment, etc.

4) I'm being challenged by our engineering group because I responded that if an auditor were to look at the retired equipment and ask to see a software validation or a cleaning validation, we can't provide that. We can provide the equipment qualification was done on this equipment however. My gut is telling me a memo stating that this product was producing acceptable product is the right thing to do. But I have nothing to point to compliance wise to say that writing a memo stating this equipment produced good product through its lifetime. Seems like our engineering group is avoiding work they deem not value added (and I do understand where they are coming from).

To me, in an ideal world, we would at least have a memo stating this equipment produced good product by passing all seal tests and bio-burden testing. Hence the software was operating as designed and it produced clean product. But I'm not sure I can enforce this on our engineering group.

Now that I'm writing this out and based on above, I do believe the risk is actually low. However, there isn't documentation all in one place to retrieve, just in case an auditor were to ask. We can definitely pull the data but it would take some time.

Again, thank you for your helpful reply.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc From the "I'm glad I'm retired" Department (Oct 2019) Career and Occupation Discussions 7
F UMDNS and GMDN Codes - When a Preferred Term has been Retired Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
D Gage Tracking Systems - Infinity's QS GTS System and Retired Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
M Training Records for Retired (Obsoleted) Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A ISO/TS16949 Quality Systems Assessment Checklist is being retired as of 1 June 2004 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
Y We found out we have been using a equipment without validation for past 4 years Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 6
I Equipment service dates ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
P Equipment 21 CFR 820.70(g) - User Requirements Document for Off the shelf equipment 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
G Is repeatability required for equipment calibration? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 10
A Looking for a third party to calibrate our measure equipment - South Carolina General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
K Problems with process equipment ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D New Equipment form / template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
W Protective earth for Class I ME equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
R MSA for ATE (Automatic Test Equipment Embedded Software) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
P Design verification driven by new equipment. How is this different than process validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
D DQ documents of new equipment - Function specification Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 0
R MSA studies for Heat Treatment Equipment Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
T AMS2570E certification equipment questions AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
J Class Fixed ME Equipment (US Deviation) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
P Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
R What is meant by Use of COMPONENTS WITH HIGH-INTEGRITY CHARACTERISTICS in ME EQUIPMENT (clause no 4.9) IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
D Infrastructure: Equipment, Work Environment and Contamination Control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M Are Electrical Laparoscopic Surgical Devices ME equipment? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 8
D Definition of "Critical Laboratory Equipment"? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
T How to “validate/qualify” a new measurement equipment? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
D Software validation in Medical Equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 20
I Approved Suppliers ISO/IEC 17025:2017 and used test equipment ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
S Calibration Equipment Selection General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Handling of contaminated medical equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 0
T Confirming The Local Safety Regulations for Equipment - I'm in Malaysia General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
B IEC 60601 Cl. 8.4.3 - ME EQUIPMENT intended to be connected to a power source by a plug / Plug discharge IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
E Equipment Qualification - IQ/OQ per ISO 13485:2016 section 7.5.6 Process validation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
A Contraindication Safety Statement in website - Radiotherapy equipment Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
B What is 'equipment'? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S ISO17020 - Equipment calibration requirement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K USB DC operated medical equipment IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Faulty Equipment and ISO 17025 General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N New (Upgraded Technology) vs Existing Equipment - Measurements Shift Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
G Is impact test according to IEC 60601-1 applicable for HAND-HELD equipment if also classified as BODY-WORN? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
E Part 11 Compliance, Excel living documents (i.e. document master list, equipment list, approved supplier list) Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
S Maintaining Equipment Records - We use a manual system ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
P Scope of application for IEC 60601-1-11 Medical electrical equipment — Part 1-11 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
C Does ISO 9001-2015 have a requirement for manufacturing equipment to be numbered? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
R Which pieces of equipment require equipment validation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Should I mention machine/Equipment password In SOP? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4