Revalidation of Process Equipment for Equipment Transfered to New Facility.

Hello All!

We are currently moving some of our exisiting processes to another facility and I have been tasked with determining what the industry best practices are for requalification of production equipment. I have read ISO:13485 and it only states that revalidation will have to be completed if the equipment is moved to another facility. I have read other sources and they state it should be a risk based approach to determine as to what extent an IQ/OQ/PQ needs to be performed. I am curious if anyone could provide some insight with transfering processes to a new facility? Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hello All!

We are currently moving some of our exisiting processes to another facility and I have been tasked with determining what the industry best practices are for requalification of production equipment. I have read ISO:13485 and it only states that revalidation will have to be completed if the equipment is moved to another facility. I have read other sources and they state it should be a risk based approach to determine as to what extent an IQ/OQ/PQ needs to be performed. I am curious if anyone could provide some insight with transfering processes to a new facility? Thank you!
ISO 13485:2016
7.5.6 f) revalidation, including criteria for revalidation
What does your validation procedure say about this .....
If you have included moving of the process to another facility as a criteria for revalidation, then you have the answer, Please revalidate, ie IQ/OQ/PQ
If your procedure does not state this as a criteria to revalidate, then update your validation procedure, and follow the same., as moving an existing process to another facility is a major trigger to perform the revalidation. You may use all the learnings from the existing validation records to re establish the revalidation, and assure that the process is good and stable as before.

Thank you for your answer!

Currently we have no mention of a revalidation procedure in our validation master plan. I have been looking for guidance to establish a revalidation procedure that will be followed once we move processes over to a new location. I was thinking of just having some sort of risk assessment to establish as to what level the revalidation will be performed. Would that be suffcient enough?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Thank you for your answer!

Currently we have no mention of a revalidation procedure in our validation master plan. I have been looking for guidance to establish a revalidation procedure that will be followed once we move processes over to a new location. I was thinking of just having some sort of risk assessment to establish as to what level the revalidation will be performed. Would that be suffcient enough?
Not the validation master plan ....
The standard asks you to establish documented procedures for validation of processes. If you have 5 processes that are validated, you will have 5 procedures, as the 5 processes would be different in terms of what is said in 7.5.6 a) to g)
You know your processes best, and you will have technical experts as well as competent personnel who are involved in managing your proceses to deliver consistent outputs.
Just to emphazise, a table top process equipment may need to be revalidated if its moved from one table to another. Think about it and discuss with your process managers. Address the criteria for revalidation first in your procedures

To my best knowledge, you must first initiate a change proposal listing all equipment, system or Document (ownership/location, if any) being removed and moved to a new facility. Perform the same original procedure to validate the process including IQ/OQ/PQ at the new location, justifying the need for such relocation and establish an objective evidence for each category.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
For your own protection a full revalidation is appropriate: IQ, OQ PQ.
for sure IQ as you are hooking it all up to new stuff in a new place.
OQ for equipment parameters for sure - you don't know the effect of the knew place or the move on the equipment.
PQ can probably be concurrent.

The 'risk' with a risk based approach is that most people just guess at the probability that something will go wrong and that is usually biased to the "what can possibly go wrong" side and then catastrophe hits you in the back of the head. IF you look only at the severity of the things that could go wrong (with the assumption that it will) and you only include the high severity items in the validation plan then you could get your plan to a more smaller set of tests. Unless your regulatory reviewer deems otherwise.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V Plating Supplier PPAP Revalidation Requirements - A-Coat GM 9984132 Plating Process APQP and PPAP 1
I What revalidation is necessary if we change parts in a WFI loop ? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
R Revalidation under VDmax25 following material change ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Revalidation machine line and Stability Studies impact. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
V How to Add Annual Revalidation requirements to Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
M Is it essential to do the Fractional Test for ETO Revalidation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Revalidation of Training - ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 4
J Yearly Cleanroom Revalidation Test Requirements - Questions for users clean room ISO7 Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
L EO Sterilization Cycle Revalidation Intervals ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
O Requalification/Revalidation Activities - Dietary Supplement Manufacturing Equipment Design and Development of Products and Processes 3
B Autoclave Revalidation Methods Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 5
A Moving Equipment (Injection Molding Machines) in the Plant - Revalidation Required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Y Difference between Cl. 7.4.1 Supplier Re-Evaluation and Cl. 7.5.2 Revalidation Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
S Gamma Sterilization: Change in Bulk Density vs. Revalidation 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Is Annual Revalidation Required? ISO 13485 and FDA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
F Equipment Revalidation - Refrigerated rooms (2?C ? 8?C) Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 1
Douglas E. Purdy 7.5.2 e) Revalidation - Let me run this by you for verification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Control of Change i.e. process and WI IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
F Is this misuse of the MRB process? Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
L Product and process Deviation procedure Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
Ch00Ch00 How to evaluate a process ? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
M Implants made by Additive Manufacturing process approved by USFDA Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Q Process Key figures and reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
Ch00Ch00 Evaluate a process - Issue number Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
F Rules of process outsourcing in China China Medical Device Regulations 1
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
P Certification process for registered device China Medical Device Regulations 11
J NCR- Failure of contract review process - NADCAP audit AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
Melissa Process Validation of Rotary Heat Sealer Speeds Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C Validation of process for releasing the UDI EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
C Validation of process for production and servicing 5.7.1.5 API Spec Q1, 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 9
Z IA Construction Procurement Process Internal Auditing 3
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
DuncanGibbons Process flow & PFMEA for production planning and simulation activities? Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 7
N Help with understanding Process Controls Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M VDA 6.3 – Workshop for Certified Process Auditor VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 2
C Process Consistency Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
I PFD (Process Flow Diagram) approach. Setup details as part of PFD? APQP and PPAP 5
K Business Process Flowchart Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 2
L Looking for Control Plan and FMEA Stamping process FMEA and Control Plans 2
J License renewal process in Iran Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
J Definition Outsourced process - Clear definition - 13485 Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
S IS0 13485 process flows ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Q Process map Evaluation and Analysis Method Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
S In process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
S Brexit 100% inspection during in process inspection Manufacturing and Related Processes 11
A Complaint review as part of the complaint handling process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
mustomutlu Process Validation Final Report Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 2