Reverse FMEA - Benchmark for my studies

G

gael45140

Hello,

For my new professional training of Quality Safety and Environnemental, I choice to study Reverse FMEA.

In particulary, I focus on the difficulties to implement Reverse FMEA because I work in automotive supplier and we have to pass IATF 16949:2016.

In 9.2.2.3 clause, Manufacturing process audit, it specificate that
"The audit must also evaluate the effective implementation of
the process risk analysis, control plan, and associated
documents."

So, it's advice to do reverse pFMEA for that.

Do you have use this method, which difficulties do you meet ?

Thank you for your answers :)

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Cove!

My understanding of reverse FMEA is that it "deconstructs" an event to find a cause. That would be a fine root cause analysis method for corrective action, since the event has already occurred. But risk based thinking is supposed to be done to prevent undesired outcomes.

I think both would accomplish the objective as the methods are similar. However, I want to encourage you to also remember the FMEA is a more detailed tool than might be needed in all cases. How would you do one for Strategic Management (to include Management Review and the Context clauses, plus risk based planning for the business)? For such management level subjects (also Human Resources), many of my clients find SWOT to be enough, perhaps adding blocks for internal and external issues and relevant/not relevant internal and external interested parties.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
Intention of this requirement is to update audit criteria by use of PFMEA.
It might happen that some activities planned during PFMEA were in fact not implemented. If not implemented, they have not appeared in control plan and seemingly everything was OK. "Armed" with both documents, auditor will find this missing activities now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimmy123 What is a Reverse FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 6
michellemmm Reverse Engineering a Design FMEA using aerospace DFMEA guidelines FMEA and Control Plans 2
jjmusicjr Implementing Machine Replacement Part Reverse engineering technology Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
M I need a sample Reverse PFMEA Process Checklist FMEA and Control Plans 2
R Maximum Reverse Speed Limit for Powered Wheelchairs Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
AnaMariaVR2 Reverse Mergers: A Looming U.S.-China Showdown over Securities Regulation? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
somashekar Reverse Engineering Customer Part to Manufacture - Can I include D&D in Scope? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Internal Warehouse Handling - A Reverse Logistic Case! Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 6
AnaMariaVR2 Tracking Water Resistivity - Verifying Reverse Osmosis Water Purification Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
Ron Rompen SAE J1677 - 5.2 (Reverse Flattening Test) and how it should be carried out Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
M Reverse PFMEA also known as "Go and See" PFMEA - Customer Request FMEA and Control Plans 27
B How to document Reverse Engineering - We do Reverse Engineering ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
Sidney Vianna Reverse auction website; is it a scam? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
T CMM Reverse Engineering Scannning 3-D - IMS Impact with 4.8 version Virtual DMIS Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
J FMEA Handbook 2019 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
J Process FMEA Template with examples - Cold and Hot Forged components FMEA and Control Plans 1
B Why the Greek god Hephaestus should have done a design FMEA (DFMEA) on his giant robot APQP and PPAP 1
P Design FMEA - Detection Rating criteria ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
C AIAG/VDA FMEA - Is the new better? FMEA and Control Plans 0
I Does anybody use Detection in medical device Design FMEA? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
P VDA AIAG FMEA - Slides for Quality Audience FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Design FMEA for Industrial Machinery FMEA and Control Plans 3
B AIAG/VDA’s FMEA Manual Is a Major Advance (my take on this subject) FMEA and Control Plans 2
B AIAG-VDA FMEA - When the new format will be required FMEA and Control Plans 5
D Where does "as far as possible" stop? FMEA - EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
R What are the changes in 5th Edition of FMEA manual? FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
C FMEA Process assessment In the Draft for the AIAG/VDA FMEA Manual is gone FMEA and Control Plans 0
Jimmy123 Example of a P-Diagram for Process FMEA - Uncontrollable noises FMEA and Control Plans 39
Jimmy123 FMEA - Preventive vs Detection Control FMEA and Control Plans 7
M MANUAL FMEA VDA VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 1
L Which one is more important for FMEA CC or SC, FMEA and Control Plans 6
G FMEA financial benefits APQP and PPAP 2
M Foundation FMEA: what is it? FMEA and Control Plans 15
eule del ayre Merging FMEA and Quality Control Process Flow FMEA and Control Plans 0
K AIAG/VDA FMEA & Process Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 0
D FMEA-MSR in the AIAG-VDA Aligned Handbook - What is it? FMEA and Control Plans 4
bobdoering Catching up on the new FMEA book! Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 2
bobdoering AIAG VDA FMEA Handbook - 2019 - something familiar about this.... FMEA and Control Plans 37
S New AIAG FMEA Process - How to complete the new format FMEA and Control Plans 32
C FMEA - Multiple function failures considerations FMEA and Control Plans 3
J New FMEA aproach - formular Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
B Confusion on the new FMEA guidebook - Are we supposed to replace our FMEAs? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Z Using FMEA for Knowledge Management FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Link between FMEA, flow chart and control plan FMEA and Control Plans 10
K PFMEA (Process FMEA) - Can be common for 3000 products? FMEA and Control Plans 2
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
Jimmy123 ISO 31000 vs FMEA FMEA and Control Plans 1
I What does "Class" mean in an FMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 16