Review the validity of previous monitoring and measuring results

T

T.J. - 2005

First time posting, Been coming here for years and have gonna alot of help just reading forums. I am kinda shy and the quite type.
As I read "Review the validity of previous monitoring and measuring results when equipment is found out of calibration, and take necessary actions."
I believe I am looking for evidence of assessing and documenting the validity of previous test results when inspection equipment is found to be out of calibration.
Now I know you need to take action to check product measured by device.
But I read this to say " look at previous test results, if device was out of calibration last time. 1 you need to look at how the device is used 2 the frequency of calibration and 3 Personnel using device and determine action needed.
Am I going in the wrong direction here? :frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
T.J.,

I look at it like this: Say I calibrate my micrometer and find it was measuring + .0005" over actual values, while my procedure says they should read within +/- .0001" to be considered "in cal". Now, I need to determine what (if any) product(s) I measured with these micrometers between the time I knew they were in cal and when I found them out of cal. Say I calibrated them May 1 but did not use them until July 1, and found them out of cal on August 1. So anything I measured between July 1 and August 1 could have been adversely affected by these mics.

For example: Were they used for final inspection during that time? If so, could this have caused me to ship bad product to the customer? If yes, what customer(s) do I need to notify of the potential problem? If I’m lucky, I used them to measure a product with a +/- .005” tolerance and none of them measured more than +/- .002” from the target, so the .0005” error did not cause any rejected product to ship to the customer.

Make any sense? Did this answer your question?

T

T.J. - 2005

7.6 The organization shall take appropriate action on the equipmentand any product affected. I'm asking about equipment.
The last measurement resultsshowed the gauge was out of calibration (and of course before putting back on the floor we repaired it, and calibration good) but that was 120 days ago. Does this mean action needs to be taken on the equipment.

R

Rob Nix

I don't follow. The "equipment" is your measurement device. You repaired it, therefore you took appropriate action. Is the device still calibrated properly?

I think Mike's reply was right on the money. I don't think it is any more complicated than that. Am I missing something?

T

T.J. - 2005

OK thanks,
I guess I was looking to write up corrective action for frequency of calibration if every 120 days the device is out of calibration or training on use etc. Put we are just looking at product here and if we repaired the device. Trying to read more into it i guess.

T.J. said:
I guess I was looking to write up corrective action for frequency of calibration if every 120 days the device is out of calibration
You may still need to change your calibration frequency. If you calibrate every 120 days, and each time the device is out of specs, then you really need to have calibration more frequently. One of the "shalls" in 7.6 begins with: "Where necessary to ensure valid results..." If your calibration requency is so far apart, that the device is out of calibration each time, then one could argue that you are in violation of the above.

Good response Mike :agree:
In addition, if you calibrate your mics every 3 months and find 1 of 10 out of calibration, causing you to have to notify customers and revisit measurements, you need to re-evaluate and reduce your calibration cycle. Based on data, of course, you might need to calibrate them monthly to make sure that you don't get out of cal conditions. You may also find that they are never out of cal at 3 months and end up (more efficiently and thus more profitably) calibrating every 6 months.

T

T.J. - 2005

Toolings argument was it is being calibrated at specified intervals. My argument was I was looking at previous measuring results for equipment and for product.
I am looking at previous measuring results for equipment to see if action is taken for previous out of calibration equipment.
"Where necessary to ensure valid results" are you saying this states "Where necessary to ensure good results"

TJ,
More like "necessary" results. If your device is out of cal by 0.005" every time and you are using it to measure +/- 0.050" then it is a "don't care". Based on data, you need to determine if the out of cal condition matters to the measurement, if it does, then:
1) Make sure that you don't have bad product in customer hands and notify or otherwise correct that situation, then:
2) Check if the device is capable of making the measurement (how it is used)
3) Check if you are calibrating it often enough (frequency)
4) Check if your operators know how to use the device without compromising its capability
5) Correct 2, 3, and 4 if necessary.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J ISO 13485 System 'soft start' - How to best reflect this in initial audits, management review minutes and other records? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Forms review Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
C Contract Review with Multiple Line items ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
O ISO 13485 - Is management review required before stage 1? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
G ISO 17025-2017 Management Review reporting items - Inputs ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
I Management review in conformity assessment standards - Certification Bodies Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
D CSV - Periodic Review Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
qualprod To set frequency to review documents in ISO 9001 7.5? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M What to be careful about/focus on when doing a Technical File review EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Watchcat Anyone had an MDR technical file review/audit yet? EU Medical Device Regulations 13
B Label Review for Class II Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
A Help with Drawing Review - ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Casana ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Attendees in a flat organization Management Review Meetings and related Processes 6
C Management Review Agenda Management Review Meetings and related Processes 20
A Literature review/HACCP validation of metal detection Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
Q Do Management Review records have to be on a controlled form? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
J ISO 9001:2015 Small Operation Management Review General Auditing Discussions 6
F Process Review - What is the ISO requirement for reviewing SOPs and quality documentation? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
N MDR review process by notified body - How many steps exist in the review process EU Medical Device Regulations 0
W ISO 9001:2015 Management Review Input Template wanted ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
M Informational US FDA paper – Epidemiological Evidence on the Adverse Health Effects Reports in Relation to Mercury from Dental Amalgam: Systematic Literature Review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA Consultation: Review of the regulation of certain self-testing IVDs in Australia Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Acceptance Review for De Novo Classification Requests Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
C Design Transfer Review - Before or after PQ validation? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
M Setting deadlines (ex. 45 days) for Document Registration & Review Cycle Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
G ISO 9001 - 9.3.1 Management Review - Content and Frequency Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
Nicole Desouza Contract / Customer Order Review Checklist Needed Manufacturing and Related Processes 12
M Informational Updated US FDA Resources for Third Party Review Organizations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Document review on already approved registrations requested by China's NMPA? China Medical Device Regulations 3
J Literature Review (marketing etc) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Informational US FDA – Requests for Supervisory Review of Certain Decisions Made by the Center for Devices and Radiological Health – Final Rule Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 9.3.2 - MR (Management Review) - Adequacy of resources ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q How to run a Management Review Management Review Meetings and related Processes 10
W Scope of MRB (Material Review Board) Responsibilities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
D Engineering Drawing Review and Approval Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S List of requirements for Management Review in IATF 16949 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Informational ISO 13485:2016 under systematic review Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 5
M Informational USFDA – Review framework for artificial intelligence-based medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M Informational USFDA Draft Guidance – Review and Update of Device Establishment Inspection Processes and Standards Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Post Market Surveillance and Annual Product Review in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M Dynamic Control Plan Draft - need review FMEA and Control Plans 2
D EMS Management review outputs - Strategic direction of the organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
A A purpose of a Stage 1 audit - Off site document review Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M Informational EU Review and assessment of market surveillance activities 2014-2016 – Medical devices sector Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
B How to comply with IATF 16949:2016 9.3.2.1k - Management review IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Template of a Management Review Agenda or Report in compliance with ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6