Reviewing a supplier's ISO 9001 certificate issued for a future date

K

Kevsdodge66

Was wondering if others find this odd. Reviewing a suppliers ISO 9001 certification to see if they completed their changed to the 2015 revision. The certification states they conform to ISO 9001 2015. What to me is odd is that it shows on the bottom of the certification that it is effective September 15 2018. Today is July 24th as I write this. How is it predated to the future?

AndyN

Moved On
Was wondering if others find this odd. Reviewing a suppliers ISO 9001 certification to see if they completed their changed to the 2015 revision. The certification states they conform to ISO 9001 2015. What to me is odd is that it shows on the bottom of the certification that it is effective September 15 2018. Today is July 24th as I write this. How is it predated to the future?

There are any number of factors at play. Sometimes a CB will do this stuff just because the hapless certificate preparer doesn't know any better. Sometimes, they just plain screwed up and didn't consider that putting a date like September 2018 was confusing to folks. IS it an IAF accredited CB, for example? DOes ANAB or even UKAS/RvC etc have any specific rules about what goes on a certificate?

At the end of the day, does it mean anything to you?

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
It is odd. Certification effective dates are normally in the present or past, not the future. Send a copy of this certificate to the issuing CB and ask for an explanation.

It could be a simple honest mistake, but it could also be a "strategy", colluded between the registrant and the registrar to maximize the validity period of the certificate.

The certificate is supposed to have an expiration date, which must not exceed 3 years from the date of issuance. What is the expiration date on the certificate?

Last edited:
K

Kevsdodge66

The registrar is PJR. For me the issue becomes that we not full filling the IATF 16949 and CSR that requires my suppliers are to maintain at a minimum a ISO9001 2015 certification. Stating the certification is not valid until September leaves this supplier without a current certification as their ISO9001 2008 certification had a expiration date of May 1st 2018.

Randy

Super Moderator
Naa here's what they did, the CB most likely did a Transition audit and the current 9001:2008 certification will end on 15 Sep 2018 and the 9001:2015 certification will automatically kick in when 9001:2008 automatically expires for everyone on the planet

No big and no big secret

K

Kevsdodge66

Randy that makes since except that there current certification expired on May 1st which means no certification at all for 4 months.

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
The registrar is PJR. For me the issue becomes that we not full filling the IATF 16949 and CSR that requires my suppliers are to maintain at a minimum a ISO9001 2015 certification. Stating the certification is not valid until September leaves this supplier without a current certification as their ISO9001 2008 certification had a expiration date of May 1st 2018.

The world won't end.

K

Kevsdodge66

No the world will not end but life become difficult when in a past audit you were written up for a supplier dropping their ISO certification and your company did not address the issue and contact the customer. A repeat finding would not be good for myself.

Top Bottom