Rights of Access per ASME/NQA-1 2000

A

atreyu915

Hi guys,
Our QA manual has been written to mirror ASME/NQA-1 2000. A few of our customers require that we meet ASME/NQA-1 2000 basic requirements.
Per NQA-1 2000 Requirement 4:204
"The procurement documents shall provide for access to the supplier's and subtie supplier's facilities and records for surveillance, inspection, or audit by the purchaser, its designated representative, and others authrorized by the purchaser"
We have always "flowed" this requirement down through verbiage stated directly on our PO's to our suppliers. Top management has just had this verbiage removed from our PO's. Unannounced, no explanation given. If I have an auditor come in, how am I going to show that I'm compliant with this portion of the standard? I'm trying to sell to top mgt that this verbiage should remain on there, but I'm not 100% sure that it should. Nor am I able to round up any firepower to back up my claims.
Even though it is still in our manual/procedures, how are we conveying to the customer that we still retain these rights? :confused:
Thanks for your help

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Trusted Information Resource
Re: Rights of Access

Hi guys,
Our QA manual has been written to mirror ASME/NQA-1 2000. A few of our customers require that we meet ASME/NQA-1 2000 basic requirements.
Per NQA-1 2000 Requirement 4:204
"The procurement documents shall provide for access to the supplier's and subtie supplier's facilities and records for surveillance, inspection, or audit by the purchaser, its designated representative, and others authrorized by the purchaser"
We have always "flowed" this requirement down through verbiage stated directly on our PO's to our suppliers. Top management has just had this verbiage removed from our PO's. Unannounced, no explanation given.
Ask the question to your Management. If they have removed this requirement, they could be in violation of the Contract/Purchase Order.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

Ask the question to your Management. If they have removed this requirement, they could be in violation of the Contract/Purchase Order.
Not only that, but there must have been a reason for removing it. People don't usually mess with the boilerplate unless there's a compelling reason to do so. It could be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing--whoever caused the PO language to change might not have been aware of other contractual obligations. Some kind of upper-level review is needed.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help

Not only that, but there must have been a reason for removing it. People don't usually mess with the boilerplate unless there's a compelling reason to do so. It could be a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing--whoever caused the PO language to change might not have been aware of other contractual obligations. Some kind of upper-level review is needed.
That is true Jim. It needs to be reviewed.

To the OP:

Are the POs reviewed by anyone other than the Purchasing Manager? Is there a second set of eyes that look at them before they are released? Maybe a quick discussion with the Management might be necessary to identify specific requirements of the Customers.

A

atreyu915

That is true Jim. It needs to be reviewed.

To the OP:

Are the POs reviewed by anyone other than the Purchasing Manager? Is there a second set of eyes that look at them before they are released? Maybe a quick discussion with the Management might be necessary to identify specific requirements of the Customers.
Thanks guys for the responses. I review the POs to make sure the item being ordered is compliant to whatever customer/component it is being ordered for. Left hand not knowing what the right is doing is very much the case around here. IMHO I don't really think upper mgt is familiar enough with ASME/NQA-1:2000 to realize that "Rights of Access" is even in there.

My greatest confusion is still that. If we say in our Manual section 4 that we retain the rights to supplier facilities..., if we have removed that from the only document our supplier is provided, how then are we satisfying our OWN manual? Does that question make sense? There is a very good possibility that I'm missing something.

Again, The persons involved in removing this from the PO's most likely does not realize what NQA-1 states nor what our QA manual states. Would that scare you guys?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin

My greatest confusion is still that. If we say in our Manual section 4 that we retain the rights to supplier facilities..., if we have removed that from the only document our supplier is provided, how then are we satisfying our OWN manual? Does that question make sense? There is a very good possibility that I'm missing something.
Your quote from the standard says that the provisions must be cited in "the procurement documents." This usually means the PO, so your own manual is probably irrelevant. If your customer's "procurement documents" specify compliance with the standard, then you have to comply with the standard--it's as simple as that.

Again, The persons involved in removing this from the PO's most likely does not realize what NQA-1 states nor what our QA manual states. Would that scare you guys?
No, it would make me feel right at home.:D As I said earlier, upper-level review is needed. You might kick that off by informing someone (the purchasing manager, perhaps) that the PO boilerplate doesn't comply with your customer's requirements.

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help

Thanks guys for the responses. I review the POs to make sure the item being ordered is compliant to whatever customer/component it is being ordered for. Left hand not knowing what the right is doing is very much the case around here. IMHO I don't really think upper mgt is familiar enough with ASME/NQA-1:2000 to realize that "Rights of Access" is even in there.
Than that is one problem. Training of Management needs to be accomplished.

The bottom line here is that irregardless (the nomenclature that some covers don't like) of what your manual states, it is a legal and binding requirement by your customer(s) Management must understand the possible implications.

I'm with Jim on this answer. It doesn't scare me a bit, only the potential ramifications that could result from not complying with the PO requirements.

Last edited:
A

atreyu915

Let me make sure I'm understanding you. Irregardless of what our internal manual states. Since our customer requires that we meet this standard (asme/nqa-1:2000) and since requirement 4.204 of that standard cites the requirements for Rights of access, then it must remain on our PO's? Where do legalities come into play?
I apologize if you have to hold my hand through this one. But i'm utterly confused. If our manual is irrelevant, then how are we displaying compliance to any of the standard? (from an auditors point of view)
If our customers PO cites the spec that states we must be meet NQA, how else besides the verbiage on OUR po's to OUR suppliers would we flow down the requirements?
As I asked earlier, if an auditor were to come in and ask "Show me how you're satisfying the requirements of 4.204" What would I say?
Sorry again if I'm making this more difficult

Coury Ferguson

Moderator here to help
Let me make sure I'm understanding you. Irregardless of what our internal manual states. Since our customer requires that we meet this standard (asme/nqa-1:2000) and since requirement 4.204 of that standard cites the requirements for Rights of access, then it must remain on our PO's? Where do legalities come into play?
I apologize if you have to hold my hand through this one. But i'm utterly confused. If our manual is irrelevant, then how are we displaying compliance to any of the standard? (from an auditors point of view)
If our customers PO cites the spec that states we must be meet NQA, how else besides the verbiage on OUR po's to OUR suppliers would we flow down the requirements?
As I asked earlier, if an auditor were to come in and ask "Show me how you're satisfying the requirements of 4.204" What would I say?
Sorry again if I'm making this more difficult
The Face of the Purchase Order from your customer is the binding document.

The order of precedence is: (What I remember from Contract Law, but talk with your company's attorney, since I am not an attorney)

1. The face of the PO/Contract

2. The drawings

3. The standards/specifications

The purchasing document is the legal driver.

A. The statement as flowed down through the binding document (PO) requires this standard.

B. The standard requires that this clause be referenced on your Purchasing documents

C. The purchasing document needs to have this requirement on it.

:caution: Note: This is my opinion (based upon basic contract law from college) and is not legal guidance. Talk with your Company's Attorney.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Rights of Supplier in Design & Build WP Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
JoCam Acquired Medical Devices - Company A buys the entire rights EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Y Local Agent and Sales Rights in countries like Brazil and Russia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
I Definition Insubordination in Organizations - Definition, extent; vis-a-vis employee's rights. Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 14
K Organization's Rights vs. Customer's Rights - Product Return vs. Replacement Customer Complaints 13
K Rights of Auditors - Are they allowed to copy and take our documents? General Auditing Discussions 5
Sidney Vianna ANAB Accreditation Council Drafts Client Bill of Rights ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 2
A COPY RIGHTS ISSUE? Guidance Required General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
M Edit rights in document control / document review Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
Marc Laptops at U.S. border: No privacy rights Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 6
Marc Civil rights legend Rosa Parks dies at 92 World News 3
mtmt70a Change\ my MTBF Prediction SW Tool from the RELEX tool with yearly Lic. access Telecordia database to another solution. Recommendations? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
AllTheThings Obsolete Thermotron Controller access? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 5
D Computer access, password control ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
J ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5.1 Control of Production and service provision - Help with Work Instruction Access ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
Q FMEA and Risk assessment in Microsoft Access FMEA and Control Plans 6
D Economic Operators, EU Market Access EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Richard Regalado Informational ISO makes available relevant BCMS standards free for online access Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 6
I Master Document Access - ISO 9001:2015 clause 7.5.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
F ISO Certified companies - Is there a list of certified companies that I can access ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
C Security and access in cGMP facilities Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
P Average access height into an industrial machine (average base plate height) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
K EU MDD Class I Device market access / certification after 26th May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Informational Paper on open access – EU postmarket surveillance plans for medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
R Demonstrate how sufficient levels of access to data is achieved - Claims of equivalence EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Informational US FDA – Expanded Access for Medical Devices - Investigational medical devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
C Access to Technical Documentation - MDR Chapter VI Article 61 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J AS9104-1 Clause 18.1 (a) (b) - Organizations (contractor) shall be required to allow access to Tier 2 data AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
M Who should have access to Audit trail? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 6
A EASA Easy Access Rules for Continuing Airworthiness - June 2017 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
M Proposed System: Revision = Modification Date; Approval = Access Permissions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
E Document Control MS Access Database Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 46
R Height gauge to measure short hard to access heights General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D minitab macro to pull access query with parameters Using Minitab Software 1
I How to build a Microsoft Access MDB Database for Document Control Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
P HIPAA Privacy - Login password or USB Access key? Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
N Computer System Access and Security Procedure example wanted 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
N Database (Like ASSIST) to subscribe to & have access to new SAE-AS & ANSI standards Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
L Intellectual Property Protection - Storage, Access, Distribution, etc ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Creative ways to access Expert Information when you can't afford a top $ Consultant Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
T Microsoft Access Database to create a Simple Calibration Certificate General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
T Basic Document Control Database (Excel/Access) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Does anyone use FMEA database in Access? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
R Protection of Records from Unauthorized Access or Alteration Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
Marc Archives digitize 19th century materials for 21st century access Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
AnaMariaVR2 USP Validation Documents - Free Online Access US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
W User access to all new workmen employees for Training software Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
T Access to a particular Medical Device Electronic Communication Test Port IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
C Looking for CAPA Database for Access 2003 Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 5
P Source Inspection vs. Right of Access clause in a Purchase Order - Differences AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16