Ring Gage Thermal Expansion

Hello Everyone,
Thank you in advance for reading my post. I am having a discussion with a colleague about the thermal expansion of ring gages. I've done some preliminary research already, and have found nothing concrete and i'm hoping some of the experts on here would be able to assist me. I am an ASQ Certified Calibration Technician with 12 years metrology experience, and although i have tried very hard to research everything i was initially taught (many of the initial things i have found to be wrong), i still can't find definitive evidence. I was originally taught that the thermal expansion of ring gages were opposite just like the tolerances of the plugs. Ie: when a ring gage gets warmer, the internal diameter becomes smaller, and when it's colder, the diameter gets larger. I've tried reading through Puttock and Thwaite’s CSIRO Technical Paper No. 25, however it alludes mostly to spheres, pins, and plugs. It does mention the compression factor, which would actually defer the expansion to be the same as any other linearly dimensional object, like gage blocks, but i am still not sure. Does anyone have anything concrete on this, or can share personal experience? I do have access to ASME B89.1.6 however it's not as clear cut as i'd like. Thanks again!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
An interesting question to which I do not have the answer. From a physics perspective, higher temperatures should increase the diameter of the neutral axis. However, you would also get an increase in the cross-sectional thickness, so I'm not sure which would win out. I would probably try an experiment with three different temperatures to find out. Thin walled pipe definitely get larger.

CCaantley

Involved In Discussions
From what I've read, since all the material will expand under heating, the hole will also get bigger. That would explain why if you run a jar lid under hot water it loosens. Just my :2cents:, which could be worth nothing in the end.

dwperron

Trusted Information Resource
The hole expands.

And if you need proof (like I did) then here is a short video:

And think about how you get a bearing onto or off of a shaft.
You heat it to expand the bearing.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Minor diameter of threaded ring gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
S Interesting Discussion Threaded ring gage calibration and tendonitis in the elbows General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
S Clarification of threaded ring gage calibration procedure/requirements General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Looking for a Threaded Ring Gage Calibration Laboratory General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
0 Is it possible to use a threaded ring gage to calibrate the M8 gage? Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
S Thread Timing - Ring Gage Frustration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
C Test Uncertainty Ratio (TUR) for Ring Gage Calibration Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 7
C Adjustable Thread Ring Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
A Performing Ring Gage Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
Z Ring Gage Calibration Sizes Shrunk with New External Vendor (supplier) General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
Q Tolerance Set Plugs to Calibrate Thread Ring Gage - Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
U Calibration House - Where I can get a PG 13.5 Gut thread ring gage calibrated? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
T Threaded plug and ring gage calibration procedures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
B Bore Gage w/ Setting Ring - What is it used for? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
D O Ring capability and measurement - What is the automotive 'norm' for capability studies on O Rings? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
O Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S ISO 5356-1 - 22 mm ring gauges and test laboratories for an Anesthetic connector Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
S Poka Yoke Inspection Retaining Ring (C-Clip) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
C O-Ring Groove Measurement Method in CNC Machined Parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Q Is it normal practice to lubricate Ring Gages before use? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
GURU SDI Leak Testing - O-ring installation in the groove of Bore ID Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
C Manufacturing Thread Ring Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
C Measuring Solid Thread Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
P No-go Ring Over the specifiaction limit Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
P How to add Voip features (ring group, virtual receptionist) into Cisco SIP PBX in C#? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 1
V How to Calibrate Ring Force Gauges Service Industry Specific Topics 1
M Thread Ring Gauge Specifications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K Calibration Requirements for Thread and Ring Gages AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 6
Z Error of 30 microns checking a Ring Gauge on a CMM Machine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
D Ring Gauges P.D Formula using "Ball Rounded Teeth" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 13
J Measuring a shallow OD of a Machined Ring/Groove Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
D ISO/Metric Solid Thread Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
R Thread Measurement - Basics on Thread Plug and Ring Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
J Thread Ring Gauge UNJ vs UN General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
L Calibration of ring thread gauge with master gauge: How to calculate Uncertainty? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
N Measurement and Inspection of SAE J-1926 O-Ring Ports Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
quality1 Question regarding O-ring application for water proofing a device Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
T Calibration and Control - Need help with plug, ring, and thread plug gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
M Calibration of ring gages with a CMM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Ring Joint Gasket Defect Types and their Consequences Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 13
ScottK Rubber O-Ring Inspection Standard - SAE J515? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
F Finding Reasonably Priced Ring Gages Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
K Suggestions for a Low Cost Accredited Calibration Laboratory - Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
2 How to Check Dimensions of an O-Ring Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
ScottK Measuring an internal groove for a snap ring suggestions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
D New thread ring cannot be threaded onto the truncated part of the master General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4