SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

RIP - Sally Ride - first American woman in space dead at 61

B

biboy2012

NASA photo taken in 1983 shows America's first woman astronaut Sally Ride, as she communicates with ground controllers from the flight deck during the six day space mission of the Challenger. Ride died on Monday after a 17-month battle with pancreatic cancer, her foundation announced. She was 61
http ://ph .news. yahoo.com /photos/nasa-photo-taken-1983-shows-americas-first-woman-photo-061722160.html - OBSOLETE BROKEN 404 LINK(s) UNLINKED

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I saw the obituary last night. Several things stood out to me:

Sally was the third woman in space. The first was Valentina Tereshkova in 1963, a Russian, and the second was Svetlana Savitskaya, also a Russian.

Sally logged two flight missions on the Space Shuttle Challenger, STS-7 in 1983 and STS-41-G in 1984. She had trained and was scheduled for a third flight on the Challenger but that mission was scrubbed when the Challenger was destroyed on January 1, 1986 (STS-51-L).
She was appointed to the presidential commission that investigated the Challenger's destruction.

Roger Boisjoly was the Morton-Thiokol engineer who wrote a memo exposing cold weather weaknesses in the booster o-rings six months before the space shuttle Challenger exploded over Florida on Jan. 28, 1986. He later said he was sustained by a single gesture of support. Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, hugged him after his appearance before the commission. Very brave considering that M-T had shunned him.

Twenty years after her first shuttle ride, Sally was appointed to the Space Shuttle Columbia Accident Investigation Board. She was the only person to serve on both investigations. That really had to suck to be investigating another disaster when you should be celebrating the twentieth anniversary of your first flight.

She was one smart woman:
BS Physics / BA English – Stanford University
MS Physics – Stanford University
Ph.D. Physics - Stanford University

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Staff member
Admin
Yeah, I saw that last night, too. I don't usually get very emotional about deaths, but hers was a bit of tear jerker. Really smart, capable lady.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ronen E RIP Mark Hollis 1955-2019 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
Marc Microsoft to rip up P2P Skype, killing native Mac, Linux native apps World News 0
Stijloor Robin Williams dead at 63. RIP Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
Marc RIP - Mickey Rooney - 6 April 2014 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Ajit Basrur Paul Walker of 'Fast and Furious' dead at 40 - RIP - Nov 2013 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc RIP - JJ Cale - July 2013 World News 4
Crusader RIP John Wilkinson - January 2013 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
A Quality Giant Dies: Dr. Genichi Taguchi: RIP - June 2nd 2012 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 0
Marc Ray Bradbury of "Fahrenheit 451" fame - RIP - June 5th, 2012 World News 4
Marc John Nabors - RIP - May 2010 :( Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Marc RIP: Leslie Nielsen at 84 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 5
Q Father Of The Practical CMM, James Coggin (RIP) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
Marc Henry Edward Roberts - RIP April 2010 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Geocities is closing today - RIP - 1995 to 2009 After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 1
Marc Teddy Kennedy - RIP - 26 August 2009 World News 0
SteelMaiden RIP - Ed McMahon Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 4
Marc Paul Neuman dies at 83 - RIP - September 2008 World News 5
Marc 'Archie' artist Joe Edwards dies - Archie Andrews and his pals - RIP World News 5
Marc Dr. Fun Comics by David Farley - RIP Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
M Bill Harral - RIP - January 2006 Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 3
Marc David Brinkley - RIP Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
J Can signed agreements over-ride review of every "contract" under ISO 13485:2016? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Jen Kirley This international consultant thing sure is a ride! Career and Occupation Discussions 13
Randy Another new, newer ride! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
Ron Rompen Permanent Part Identification - Parts produced during system over-ride Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
RoxaneB My train ride with the world's most interesting person... Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 29
S Taking over duties from a Quality Manager who left - Taken for a ride? Career and Occupation Discussions 8
Wes Bucey The plumber's ride Funny Stuff - Jokes and Humour 0
Randy I got a new ride too! 1990 'Vette Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 50
Crusader My new ride! 2009 Range Rover Sport Supercharged Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 17