Risk Acceptability Criteria - Probability and Acceptability Level

alimary15

Involved In Discussions
Good afternoon,

My problem/doubt is the following:

We have a medical device ( I will call it System) which is composed by different sub-systems, which are also medical devices.
Each sub-system can be seen as an indipendent product (Software in most cases) which comes with its own risk management plan and risk acceptability matrix and criteria.

The System is looking at the integration of these sub-systems and also for the System a risk matrix, with related risk acceptability criteria, is defined.

My doubt is the following: how to handle at system level different acceptability criteria that might come from different sub-units? :frust:

My guts tell me that we always have to consider the most critical acceptability level but I am not sure if this is right.:confused:

I believe that the scale of probability and severity should not change , because the probability is always a number from zero to one and should have the same meaning for all the products. However, I wonder how different level of acceptability criteria for two risks that are rated with same P and S can be assessed.

Do you have any experience or suggestion in how such cases could be handled?

Thanks so much for your help!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Good afternoon,

My problem/doubt is the following:

We have a medical device ( I will call it System) which is composed by different sub-systems, which are also medical devices.
Each sub-system can be seen as an indipendent product (Software in most cases) which comes with its own risk management plan and risk acceptability matrix and criteria.

The System is looking at the integration of these sub-systems and also for the System a risk matrix, with related risk acceptability criteria, is defined.

My doubt is the following: how to handle at system level different acceptability criteria that might come from different sub-units? :frust:
hmmm. I always provide an assessment of any failure mode/risk for components at both the component AND system level. could you give us an example of what you are concerned with?

My guts tell me that we always have to consider the most critical acceptability level but I am not sure if this is right.:confused:
well yes you need to address the most critical somehow. but I think is in the context that you cannot simply address the lower risks while ignoring the higher risks...some failure modes will have several effects and if we only address the worst effect we are not assured that the slightly less (yet still serious) risks will be addressed. does that make sense?

I believe that the scale of probability and severity should not change , because the probability is always a number from zero to one and should have the same meaning for all the products. However, I wonder how different level of acceptability criteria for two risks that are rated with same P and S can be assessed.
hmm, in general items with the same probability and severity should have the same acceptability criteria. Perhaps if you give us an example of this dilemma it will help. I can see where two items having the same Probability and Severity would land on different sides of the acceptability criteria based on cost to mitigate vs cost of the total number of occurrences...(usually this happens when the probability is low and/or the severity is low...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How to create the Policy for determining criteria for Risk Acceptability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
A Correlating Hazard Analysis and DFMEA Risk Acceptability Criteria FMEA and Control Plans 8
T Defining Criteria for Risk Acceptability - ISO 14971 Clause 3.2 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
P Risk acceptability alignment between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
D Rationale for Risk Acceptability Matrix - ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
I Is risk acceptability really needed if all risks must be reduced as far as possible? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
K What is the policy for Risk Acceptability per ISO 14971 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Sam Lazzara ISO 14971 Clause 7 - Evaluation of Overall Residual Risk Acceptability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
B Residual Risk Acceptability - Where do I get this Data/Figures from? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
A How to Rate a Risk Acceptability and on What Basis is it Measured? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T IEC 62304 : Risk control for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
Thee Bouyyy Risk Assessment and Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
P Scenario based risk assessment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
Q KPI risk assessment - Criteria for the given score IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Foreign Risk Notification Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
J HELP NEEDED ! Risk Management Exercise ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Does 4.5 - Alternative RISK CONTROL apply to the Particular Standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Q Measurement Equipment Revocation - Looking for a Disposal Form with Risk Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
B ISO13485 Risk managment implementation for suppliers ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Moncia Chemical risk assessment / COSHH Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E Supply chain main policies ,scope, risk assessments & relavant KPI Supply Chain Security Management Systems 2
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
J Risk Assessment of Lithium Ion Batteries FMEA and Control Plans 3
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
H Risk Analysis and Probability of Occurrence ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
P Benefit risk analysis on pFMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
U Supply risk management Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Biological Evaluation (10993) & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D Cybersecurity and Risk Management: Loss of confidentiality IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Q FMEA and Risk assessment in Microsoft Access FMEA and Control Plans 6
I Realization processes input into overall risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
thisby_ Post Market/Production Risk Assessment ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
S Risk Management Review ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
D Low risk IVD study in the UK, do I need MHRA approval? UK Medical Device Regulations 1
S Risk Management and other Files ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
N ISO 27001 for Jumb Burger - Risk Assessment sheet IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 11
C Risk Assessment Tools ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
qualprod Examples to mitigate risk from Covid ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
G Risk of stopping your customer's line IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
C Risk Matrix vs FMEAs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
S IVD risk class II devices for Brazil and MDSAP Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
M ISO 14971:2019: Criteria for overall residual risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11