Risk Analysis help for CE Marking Class I Medical Device

T

topher4209

Cove,

As I have posted before, I am trying to get 3 Class I, Rule 1 Technical Files completed so I can obtain an AR for CE Marking. Now I have learned that my Risk Ansylist in my 3 files are not to 14971. They were good enough for the FDA but I don't think for CE. I have read the cove on every thread I can find, found templates but still am not understanding how to complete a Risk analyst for my families.

I know the FDA well but not CE. Any more help I can get would be appreciated. :thanks:

Regards,

Christopher

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

davishont02

Starting to get Involved
Topher4209, Sarah Stec is absolutely right to direct you to the Harmonized standard EN ISO 14971:2012.

At one point EN ISO 14971 and ISO 14971 was pretty much the same. In 2012, Annex Z of EN ISO 14971 was changed to reflect risk which made my life a brief nightmare. :lmao:

The difference for CE can be boiled down to the following:

• All identified risks must be reduced as far as possible, regardless of cost.
    • ALARP (AS LOW AS REASONABLY POSSIBLE) to AFAP (AS FAR AS POSSIBLE). Negligible risks cannot be ignored and must be mitigated in some way.
      • Basically no risk is negligible or tolerable and everything must have a risk/benefit analysis done.
      • A lack of budget cannot define "ALARP"
  • Labeling DOES NOT reduce risk.
    • IFU warnings cannot be counted as risk mitigation.
    • IFU cannot affect RPN (risk priority number)
    • Labeling is still required but has nothing to do with your analysis of risk
Hopefully you will find this to be true in your reading of EN ISO 14971. I wish you the best!!

C

cadevon

[*]Labeling DOES NOT reduce risk.
  • IFU warnings cannot be counted as risk mitigation.
  • IFU cannot affect RPN (risk priority number)
  • Labeling is still required but has nothing to do with your analysis of risk

Does "labeling" include notations or directions about product safety in the user manual/technical documents? or does it only mean physical warning labels on a device?

T

topher4209

Cove,

My AR is picked, my Technical files are built to the best of my ability, and the information and data I have. Now I assume the next step is to send the AR my files and let them tell me all that is wrong? Also I don't like to assume in the QA/RA industry. :eek:

Warm Regards,

Christopher

Sarah Stec

Involved In Discussions
Is your consultant also your AR? Do you know if your AR will review it (as far as I know this isn't a given, but you may have contracted for it)? If not, then you may want to get a consultant to review it to make sure that your tech files meet the regulatory requirements before sending it to your authorized rep.

T

topher4209

Yes they will review one of my Technical files. If they fall into the same class product. Which they do. I have 3 total. Per my contract they will review, give feedback (which I'm scared) and proceed from there.

Warm Regards,

Christopher

gholland

Involved In Discussions
Cadevon - labeling includes IFUs and user/operator manuals. Anything printed that goes along with the device is included in the 'labeling' category. Hope that helps.

gh

i can't understand and agree the following statement:
* Labeling DOES NOT reduce risk.
Sometimes the warning message is the only possible way to reduce the risk in a most cost-efficient way.:notangel:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Help with Risk/Benefit Analysis Self-help Device for Diabetics ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
S Help me with preparing Internal Audit Schedule based on Risk analysis 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M An example of risk analysis of class I MD ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 36
T Risk analysis of QMS software - Validating software we use for QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Grouping of Products for Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
A Risk-benefit Analysis - Hazard Analysis (HA) and FMEAs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
K Risk Analysis Updates due to complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
Ed Panek Transition to IEC 60601 4th Edition - Risk Analysis and test submissions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S In a risk analysis, how can we tie mobile app security breach to ISO 14971? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Risk / benefit Analysis in Risk Management Report CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
R IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.2.1 - Lessons Learned and Risk Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S Risk analysis 6.1 and contingency plans 6.1.2.3, are they related? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
B Software Class A - Lengthy further risk analysis IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
W Biocompatibility Risk Analysis for Clinical Practitioner 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
F Risk Analysis of a Medical Device Accessory ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S How we can use risk analysis for suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
I Medical Device Software Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Q Risk Analysis - Same Risk Treatment for Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Risk Analysis for COTS/OTS Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 4
M IATF 16949 Cl. 8.7.1.4 - Risk analysis for decision making about rework IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Risk Analysis - Events which may cause to Data Loss ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
W Risk Benefit Analysis - ISO 14971:2012 Requirements ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 27
F Medical Device HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Q Risk Tools in ISO 31010 - Root Cause Analysis vs. Cause-and-effect Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Organizing Risk Analysis and Controls for a New Medical Device (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Please review my Risk Analysis Table ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
K Risk Analysis and "Information for Safety" / Labeling ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
M Risk analysis - ISO/TS 16949 clause 7.2.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
A FTA-Top/Down approach to Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A Industry best practice about Post-Market Surveillance and Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
T Risk Analysis for moving manufacturing equipment ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 17
D Different kinds of Risk Analysis for various Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
L GHTF/SG3/N15R8 - Process Validation and Risk Analysis ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Risk Analysis of Class IIb Disinfectant ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
J Does anyone have an example of Risk-Benefit Analysis per ISO 14971? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
P FMEA Risk Analysis Recommended Action Priority FMEA and Control Plans 2
N ISO 14971 Risk Analysis - Sections 4.2 and 4.3 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
D ISO 14971 - Risk Analysis Best Practices ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
S Internal Audit Plan per Risk Analysis Internal Auditing 5
K RISK ANALYSIS SAMPLE according to Annex ZA of EN ISO-14971-2012 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
R Risk Analysis and Hazard Identification concerning Clinical Decision Support Systems ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
A Should Intentional Misuse be covered in the Risk Analysis under ISO 62366? IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 3