Risk Analysis of a Medical Device Accessory

FoGia

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

I'm struggling to come up with a good and consistent approach related to risk analysis for devices that are accessories to unspecified broader systems(and which are registered as separate medical devices). Example: treatment planning software which can interface with different treatment modalities.
I'm facing two problematic scenarios:

• Accessory with no specific medical indication
  • Accessory intended for a specific medical indication
In the former case no harm can be identified, the best we can come up with is a failure mode. Is is acceptable to leave the harms column empty then? Or is it better to the mention the aspect of the failure mode that comes closest to a possible risk? In that case, how to motive the acceptable risk/benefit balance?

In the later case the frequency and in some cases the severity of the risk is impacted by the other components of the system. Again is it possible to stick then to the failure mode and better not mention harms?

I'm looking forward your thoughts on this.

Best regards

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
The. main problem here seems to be that risk management for medical devices using ISO 14971 is risk management (including risk analysis) for medical devices, not medical devices accessories. For example, risk/benefit analysis is for benefit of the device for patients, not accessories.

If you are talking about the risk of patient harm, there's no way to perform a risk analysis without the device itself, because the hazardous situation is the exposure of the patient to potential harm from the device (not device accessories).

One thing that you could do (if you are manufacturing accessories only) is to focus on a worst case scenario with a mock device (or more than one) and perform a full risk management based on those assumptions. This would be the best (but not easiest) way to do it in my opinion.

FoGia

Involved In Discussions
Thank you for your answer.

If 14971 isn't the right standard for this situation, which method could be used to tackle the "failure mode" management when dealing with accessories? And I would extend the question even further since risk management is so central to a number of other parameters: how to make the link with labelling, with PMS, etc...?

Another aspect of the problem has to do with CE marking. I just checked in the MDD, accessories are following the same requirements as 'full' medical devices, which means that compliance with ER needs to be demonstrated for these devices as well, including ER1 on risks and benefit/risk profile.

To make the situation even more complex, there are some cases where harms could indeed be identified. An example of such a risk would be, using the same example as above, where a treatment planning software through a problem in data display induces an error of interpretation by the clinician which leads to harm to the patient. In that case the 'risk analysis' could represent a mix a risks and failure modes.

In the example you provide, testing the scenario with a mock device, only a subset of risks will be identified. I am in the situation where some of the accessories I'm dealing with could be used in an unknown(but large) number of applications. If through PMS a new risk is identified for one of these applications does it necessarily require an update of the risk assessment? This sounds odd to me, it would be difficult to maintain and not very relevant.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
One thing that you could do (if you are manufacturing accessories only) is to focus on a worst case scenario with a mock device (or more than one) and perform a full risk management based on those assumptions. This would be the best (but not easiest) way to do it in my opinion.
I'm not sure I would agree with this approach.

The risk analysis, to me, has to be done in the context of the device since you can't really establish what the risks are. The risks of a power supply failing differ greatly between, say, providing power to an infusion pump -v- powering a laptop hosting some support software application.

Without fully understanding the situation and what's hoped to be accomplished, one thing that came to mind was something more along the lines of a fault tree analysis. Show the possible paths for failure to meet specific functionality and how those were mitigated (if they were). The device manufacturer could use that to support the device risk analysis.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Well, in fact I was thinking about one specific situation when I mentioned that, the situation in which you do not have access, or do not know all devices the accessory is going to be used with (unfortunately this happens a lot) and still have to create something to show to an auditor.

I agree that this is not the best "correct" solution.

Problem, as pointed out, is there's no way you can do a full risk management if you do not know all the uses, the best you could to is use the part of the analysis of the accessory I(and yes, you can do a fault tree, a separate failure analysis, or anything like that) to complete the analysis of the device.

I'm not sure I would agree with this approach.

The risk analysis, to me, has to be done in the context of the device since you can't really establish what the risks are. The risks of a power supply failing differ greatly between, say, providing power to an infusion pump -v- powering a laptop hosting some support software application.

Without fully understanding the situation and what's hoped to be accomplished, one thing that came to mind was something more along the lines of a fault tree analysis. Show the possible paths for failure to meet specific functionality and how those were mitigated (if they were). The device manufacturer could use that to support the device risk analysis.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
I Medical Device Software Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
F Medical Device HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
S Organizing Risk Analysis and Controls for a New Medical Device (ISO 14971) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
T Risk Analysis help for CE Marking Class I Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
C Risk Analysis of a "Medical System" according to ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
V Medical Device Intended Use Document - Risk Analysis Documentation Requirements ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
W Software Tool for Medical Device Risk Analysis - Recommendations please ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
A An Example of a Risk Analysis Report for a Class II Medical Device (Oxygen Mask) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 29
K Do you have to use RPN in Medical Device Risk Analysis? Identification of Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
A ISO 13485 Risk Analysis - Class II Medical Device Engineering Changes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
T Best Risk Analysis Approach (ISO 14971) - Class IIa Medical Devices ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
R What is Risk Analysis certificate? Class III Medical Sutures ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Ajit Basrur Is Risk analysis for plastic parts of medical devices required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
P Risk Analysis Requirements - Medical Devices Manufactured prior to 1998 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Calculating Basic Risk/ Basic on Risk Analysis - Medical device MDD Class II and up ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Gert Sorensen Risk Analysis on Medical Device Instructions for Use? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
Jerome Medical Device Risk Analysis - FMEA vs ALARP (As Low As Reasonably Possible) FMEA and Control Plans 3
howste FMEA vs. Risk Analysis - What are the differences - Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M An example of risk analysis of class I MD ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 36
T Risk analysis of QMS software - Validating software we use for QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B Grouping of Products for Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
A Risk-benefit Analysis - Hazard Analysis (HA) and FMEAs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
R The difference b/w FMEA & Risk analysis as per iso 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
K Risk Analysis Updates due to complaints ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
Ed Panek Transition to IEC 60601 4th Edition - Risk Analysis and test submissions CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
S In a risk analysis, how can we tie mobile app security breach to ISO 14971? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Q Risk / benefit Analysis in Risk Management Report CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
R IATF 16949 Clause 6.1.2.1 - Lessons Learned and Risk Analysis IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
S Risk analysis 6.1 and contingency plans 6.1.2.3, are they related? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 26
B Software Class A - Lengthy further risk analysis IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 9
W Biocompatibility Risk Analysis for Clinical Practitioner 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
S How we can use risk analysis for suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Risk Analysis - Same Risk Treatment for Context and Interested Parties ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
C Risk Analysis for COTS/OTS Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 4
M IATF 16949 Cl. 8.7.1.4 - Risk analysis for decision making about rework IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
E Risk Analysis - Events which may cause to Data Loss ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
W Risk Benefit Analysis - ISO 14971:2012 Requirements ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 27
Q Risk Tools in ISO 31010 - Root Cause Analysis vs. Cause-and-effect Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
S Please review my Risk Analysis Table ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
K Risk Analysis and "Information for Safety" / Labeling ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
M Risk analysis - ISO/TS 16949 clause 7.2.2.2 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Help with Risk/Benefit Analysis Self-help Device for Diabetics ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
A FTA-Top/Down approach to Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2