Risk Assessment Considerations for various Activities

A

argomas

Hi, does anyone out there have a list of risk assessment considerations, i.e a list of possible control measures for a given risk they would be willing to share.

Areas I am interested in are office maintenance, health care (drugs & alcohol testing), helicopter travel to offshore locations and explosive atmospheres. Thanks,
Andrew

K

kgott

Hi, does anyone out there have a list of risk assessment considerations, i.e a list of possible control measures for a given risk they would be willing to share.

Areas I am interested in are office maintenance, health care (drugs & alcohol testing), helicopter travel to offshore locations and explosive atmospheres. Thanks,
Andrew

Not real sure what your asking but when I do a risk assessment of anything I always ask myself:

whats the job to be done
what could go wrong
how bad might it be if it did go wrong and;
what can be done about it.

Out of all the options for controlling the problem which ones are the best and will be the most effective.

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

To assess occupational risks exposing operators is to explore what and how they can be injured or how their health can be achieved by hazards at work or in its environment (for a first general approach see questions proposed by Kgnott : whats the job to be done ? what could go wrong ? how bad might it be if it did go wrong and ?). You don't need any list of possible control measures to asses risks.

Bye.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator

Andrew

Andrew,

You may want to engage the employees in doing this. They should have the authority to refuse to start work or continue work when their safety or well-being is threatened.

Train the employees to recognize and report hazards and support them quickly when they need the hazards removed. The specific hazards depend on the circumstances so I see no cookie cutter way to solve this.

You could however start with a search for Job Safety Assessment or Job Hazard Analysis forms combined with keywords for your industry. These forms or checklists identify hazards that are common to particular industries or projects.

Involving the employees in this is important for their own awareness and so they know of management's commitment to their health, safety and wellbeing.

John

R

RLewing

.... I always ask myself:

whats the job to be done
what could go wrong
how bad might it be if it did go wrong and;
what can be done about it.

Out of all the options for controlling the problem which ones are the best and will be the most effective.

And like John says, definitely involve the employees.

I would like to continue with a question: How do you folks think about using an FMEA-type approach? I was earlier in medical devices industry, and (though the "object" was a product) we were always thinking of safety issues. Now only the object is the perfoming of work.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
And like John says, definitely involve the employees.

I would like to continue with a question: How do you folks think about using an FMEA-type approach? I was earlier in medical devices industry, and (though the "object" was a product) we were always thinking of safety issues. Now only the object is the perfoming of work.

RLewing,

Actually, some formats of Job Hazard Analysis are FMEA-like.

In construction, JHA is normally done by the team planning and bidding for the contract so the costs of removing the hazards or dealing with the hazards are included in the bid. The contract or project JHA then determines the initial format of the site team's JSA. They complete a JSA before every shift, before every change in the type of work and immediately after any significant change by others in the system. It does result in a lot of records which the supervisor has the review and sign-off daily.

Managers have to monitor the process for evidence of pencil-whipping! And, yes, it would be good to have an App for that! And here is a JSA App from Australia.

As a process design tool, FMEAs enable root causes of hazards to be identified and removed from the process being designed and from it's interacting processes. FMEAs also help determine any resources and controls that are essential for process success including health, safety and wellbeing.

Sorry for interrupting,

John

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello !

I don't think FMEA is a good tool to assess existing occupational risks for humans... FMEA is rather designed to be used in a development project of a complex technical system. Occupational risks at first are humain vision.

I think for occupational risks assessment that to observe the reality of the working activity in collaboration with the operator (dialogue and interview) is a very important point, as we do for an ergonomic intervention.

Another point, when it is necessary to further assess some of the most important or complex risks is that a single tool can not be really relevant to each risk. We need to use different riks assessment tools because the determinants of occupational risques are differents. Example : to really analyze electrical risks or musculoskeletal disorders risks we must necessarily use different criterias !

Bye.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello !

I don't think FMEA is a good tool to assess existing occupational risks for humans... FMEA is rather designed to be used in a development project of a complex technical system. Occupational risks at first are humain vision.

I think for occupational risks assessment that to observe the reality of the working activity in collaboration with the operator (dialogue and interview) is a very important point, as we do for an ergonomic intervention.

Another point, when it is necessary to further assess some of the most important or complex risks is that a single tool can not be really relevant to each risk. We need to use different riks assessment tools because the determinants of occupational risques are differents. Example : to really analyze electrical risks or musculoskeletal disorders risks we must necessarily use different criterias !

Bye.

Hernia,

What did you think of the JSA App?

John

Henria

OSH Officer
Hello

I make effort to communicate in your native language John, but I am lost if you give me an acronym as "JSA App"... please can you develop it and give me a correct weblink to show what you means exactly as "JSA App" ?

Bye.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello

I make effort to communicate in your native language John, but I am lost if you give me an acronym as "JSA App"... please can you develop it and give me a correct weblink to show what you means exactly as "JSA App" ?

Bye.

Henria,

Sorry, please refer to my post #4 for what JSA means.

And my post #6 for the link to the JSA App.

Many thanks,

John

Top Bottom