Risk/Benefit vs. benefit-risk - Revising an SOP covering Risk Management with the MDR in mind

MiamiDM

Starting to get Involved
When revising an SOP covering Risk Management with the MDR in mind, should written reference to 'risk benefit' be replaced by 'benefit-risk' as the latter is the terminology in the MDR.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

craiglab

Involved In Discussions
"Benefit-risk" should be used. Not only MDR but FDA and others. The 14971:2018 draft stated "The term benefit-risk analysis is aligned with terminology used in some regulations."

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
My suggestion is to use the "new"term. We included it in the new revision of ISO 14971 because both the US FDA and MDR uses them, as mentioned by Craiglab. One of the reasons is that it makes it more clear that the benefit is important (when we say risk-benefit it may give the idea that the risk is more important). Also, this was changed to make it more clear that the manufacturers have to go after the benefits (in the past, the generic idea of regulations was that, if you managed the risk, the benefit would be there. Current and newer regulations will require that the benefit is measured, such as the MDR, when balancing it with the risk).

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Current and newer regulations will require that the benefit is measured, such as the MDR, when balancing it with the risk
That's a problematic concept IMO.
The regulations (and perhaps the standard) imply a quantitative approach to the handling of benefits and overall risk. The only quantifiable measure (that I know of) common for both benefits and overall risk is money.
How do you quantify death or a serious injury or a 5-years extension of life in good/poor quality, for example, in money?

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
The regulations (and perhaps the standard) imply a quantitative approach to the handling of benefits and overall risk. The only quantifiable measure (that I know of) common for both benefits and overall risk is money.
How do you quantify death or a serious injury or a 5-years extension of life in good/poor quality, for example, in money?
The cost of settling the law suits.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
The cost of settling the law suits.
I should have seen it coming...
1. Benefits aren't settled in court.
2. Court outcomes are not an objective measure but a function of attorney skills, which are a function of pocket depth.

In reality, I've never encountered a manufacturer who completed a water-tight, compliant risk management endeavour, summed up in monetary terms. The ones I worked with saw this as either too complicated to pull off or morally inappropriate.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
There's no requirement in the regulation (that I know of) nor in the standard that you only make quantifiable benefit/risk determinations. Benefit/risk determinations have been made for decades now (that's exactly the way medical device regulators work, in general) without it being about money.

Hi Guys. New here. Me and a colleague are trying to figure out (based on the change in terminology and addition of the word "ratio") whether the MDR is indicating that a quantifiable measure of benefit-risk is required, as in the MDD there is no mention of "ratios" as such.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Benefit risk analysis on pFMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 4
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Informational Final guidance – GUIDELINES on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devices covering phthalates which are carc Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA discussion paper – Consideration of Benefit-Risk Approaches for Weight-Loss Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Consideration of Uncertainty in Making Benefit-Risk Determinations in Medical Device Premarket Approvals, De Novo Classificati Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – 12th Meeting of the Working Group on Guidelines on benefit – risk assessment of Phthalates in Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Risk-benefit Analysis - Hazard Analysis (HA) and FMEAs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 18
M Informational EU – SCHEER – Minutes of the Working Group meeting on guidelines on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devic Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
Q Risk / benefit Analysis in Risk Management Report CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
M Medical Device News FDA News - 14-09-18 - Benefit-Risk Factors to Consider for Substantial Equivalence Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Medical Device News FDA news - 05-09-18 - Draft - Uncertainty in Benefit-Risk Determinations Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
A MDSAP benefit for manufacturer of low-risk devices Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
W Risk Benefit Analysis - ISO 14971:2012 Requirements ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 27
C Help with Risk/Benefit Analysis Self-help Device for Diabetics ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
J Does anyone have an example of Risk-Benefit Analysis per ISO 14971? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
AnaMariaVR2 Structured Approach to Benefit-Risk Assessment in Drug Regulatory Decision-Making Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
sagai New Draft Guidance from FDA - Factors considered for Risk/Benefit Determination Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
I Estimation of overall residual risk. How to? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
Sidney Vianna ISO Practical Guide on ISO 31000:2018 - Risk Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
T IEC 62304 : Risk control for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
T Risk Assessment and Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
P Scenario based risk assessment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
Q KPI risk assessment - Criteria for the given score IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Foreign Risk Notification Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
J HELP NEEDED ! Risk Management Exercise ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Does 4.5 - Alternative RISK CONTROL apply to the Particular Standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
Q Measurement Equipment Revocation - Looking for a Disposal Form with Risk Assessment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
B ISO13485 Risk managment implementation for suppliers ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Moncia Chemical risk assessment / COSHH Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
E Supply chain main policies ,scope, risk assessments & relavant KPI Supply Chain Security Management Systems 2
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
J Risk Assessment of Lithium Ion Batteries FMEA and Control Plans 3
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
H Risk Analysis and Probability of Occurrence ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
B Risk analysis for defective measuring or measuring equipment out of calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B AS9102 - 3D printing a special tool required for assembly (counterfeit risk?) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
K Defining risk control measures IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 14
U Supply risk management Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Biological Evaluation (10993) & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D Cybersecurity and Risk Management: Loss of confidentiality IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
Q FMEA and Risk assessment in Microsoft Access FMEA and Control Plans 6
I Realization processes input into overall risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Need Help With Information Security Asset Risk Register IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
thisby_ Post Market/Production Risk Assessment ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 0
S Risk Management Review ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4