Risk Management in the Medical Device Industry

racglobal

Involved In Discussions
Hi everyone,

Has anyone had experience with risk management that's not based on 14971? It assumes reliability, but realistically, risk analysis for complex devices has now taken on many other techniques for examples from systems engineering. Can these models be applied to do risk analysis as opposed to a framework based on 14971? Thanks.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Not sure what you mean, do you mean something like, let's say, STAMP?

Please note that things like STAMP are, in their most basic view, accident causation models, not risk management frameworks.

ISO 14971 is basically a standard with very high level requirements, based on the practices of risk m management found in the engineering risk management field. It's so high level, in my opinion, that It creates problem. On the other hand, by being high level, it accepts basically any framework for risk management that you can found in the engineering risk management literature (including all the frameworks used in systems engineering that I know). For example, it does not require that you define your accident causation model (although you do need to do so to effectively implement ISO 14971).

racglobal

Involved In Discussions
Hi yes, a safety analysis such as STAMP. My question is how does this method fit into the 14971 framework? ISO 14971 requires that we estimate risk, which is not part of the STAMP framework. Much more than a hazard analysis technique, it is really a different framework (accident-causality as opposed to a risk management framework, as you pointed out). Two parts to my inquiry:

1- What would happen if we replace 14971 framework with the STAMP framework? STAMP also uses different terminology (e.g. "loss" as opposed to harm)
2- If we use 14971 as the RM framework, are we simply replacing the traditional hazard analysis techniques with STAMP, assuming STAMP is a hazard analysis technique rather than a new framework.

I've Googled STAMP and 14971. However, while some see it as a hazard analysis technique compatible within the 14971 framework. Some see it as a new framework that could replace 14971 in premarket submissions. Any clarification from the expert community would be appreciated.

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
I have not heard of STAMP before, but it seems like it is a method for determining hazards and hazardous situations. Any method of determining hazards and hazardous situations can be used with ISO 14971. But no matter what method you use, you are still required to follow ISO 14971 if you are a medical device company. Determination of hazardous situations is only one part of risk management. There is so much more than that, and ISO 14971 is the required framework.

Also, I would not change "harm" to "loss." If you are medical device company, you are concerned with patient harm.

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Much more than a hazard analysis technique, it is really a different framework (accident-causality as opposed to a risk management framework, as you pointed out). Two parts to my inquiry:
I don't think I was clear enough, and I'm not sure what is your experience with these things, but:
- Accident causation models are required in any risk management process (you need to define which one you will use)
- ISO 14971 does not mention accident causation models, but it does not mean that you do not need to choose one model
- ISO 14971 "seems" to use a simple linear sequential model, but it's not true. The way it's written is required to comply with ISO/IEC Directives (which requires clauses in sequence and other things), but ISO 14971 is high-level enough to accommodate any accident causation models, including the complex linear or, more recently, non-linear models. In fact, one of the sources of ISO 14971 is James Reason's model, which is non-linear.
- STAMP is basically one of these accident causation models, a non-linear one. As I mentioned before, it can clearly be used to comply with ISO 14971 (but you will need to make some adjustments, as is true with any accident causation model you choose to use).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Aymaneh Medical Device Cybersecurity Risk Management IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M Informational ISO TC 210 IEC SC 62A JWG 1 Medical device risk management – São Paulo meeting 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
M Medical Device News ISO TC 210 IEC SC 62A JWG 1 Medical device risk management – São Paulo meeting 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational ISO TC 210 JWG 1 meeting in São Paulo – Revision of ISO 14971 and ISO TR 24971 – Medical Device Risk Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Medical Device Cybersecurity Risk Management File ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
O Medical Device EMC Risk Management CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
F Medical Device HACCP (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point) Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Using Risk Management in ISO 10993 - Medical Device Accessory 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
J What ever happened to Medical Device Risk Management, anyway? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
A Implementing Risk Management in a Medical Device "Distributor Only" company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Marc Are you looking for ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
N Risk Management for 510k Exempt Class I Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
A FDA Guidance for Risk Management for Medical Devices 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
N Medical Device Failure Rate as part of the Risk Management Report ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
E Risk Management Methods in Medical Device Component Manufacturing ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M ISO 14971 Medical Device Risk Management FAQ ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 38
Q Advice about Risk Management for a Medical Device Distributor ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Risk Management in a very small low tech, Class 1 Medical Device Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
N Minor Concern - Medical Device Software and Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A Where can I buy EN ISO 14971:2009 (Medical Device Risk Management)? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
Q ISO 14971 Class II Medical Devices - Product Realization & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
Marc The FDA and IEC 80001-1 (Risk Management for Medical Device IT networks) Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
I PFMEA RPN Numbers Medical Device Risk Management FMEA and Control Plans 1
K ISO 62304 Software Risk Management and Medical Device Class IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R Rate the Effectiveness of Risk Management in the Medical Device Industry Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 7
bio_subbu Supply Chain Risk Management for the Pharmaceutical and Medical Device Industries ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
T Medical Device Risk Management Plan ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
M Link between Risk Management, Usability Engineering and R&D in Medical Devices ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M ISO 14971:2007 Risk Management - Class I A Sterile Medical Device ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
Q Books / Literature: Risk Management for Medical Device Software recommendations Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
V ISO 14971:2007 Application of Risk Management to Medical Devices ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
Q Risk Management for Medical Software? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 15
D Risks related Wire & Cable for Electronic Medical device - Risk Management Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
Y Risk Management Plan for Medical Device - ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
M Risk Management for Class I Medical Devices? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
T Software to Manage Compliance to ISO 14971 (Medical Device Risk Management). ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
R Medical Device Software Risk Management and ISO 14971:2007 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
W Application of Risk Management - ISO 14971:2007(E) Medical Devices ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 69
J FMEA "Types" - ISO 14971 (Medical Devices - Application of Risk Management) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
Q Risk Management Plan for a Class III Medical Device (Bone Void Filler) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
A ISO14971:2001 - Risk Management for Medical Devices - Help need copy ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
I Applicability of Risk Management for Medical Devices - ISO 14971:2000 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 20
A 21 CFR 820 - Risk Management - Looking for some guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0