Risk Management Procedure updates needed for 14971:2019

bolesen

Starting to get Involved
Hi Everyone, I am new to regulatory and am trying to update our Risk Management SOP based on our last ISO auditor's feedback on improvements to our SOP.
He recommended we bolster/define the method for overall residual risk acceptability and how we evaluate residual risks.

Does anyone have any examples of how they have updated your Risk Management SOP to the 14971:2019 standard?

Any advice is much appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Enternationalist

Involved In Discussions
Some basic principles, to make of which what you will.
  1. Distinguish residual risk for a particular hazard from the overall residual risk in your system. One is about how much risk is left in a particular situation, the other is about considering all remaining risk together in the system. Evaluating these will generally be separate activities.
  2. Overall acceptability is normally going to come down to your risk/benefit analysis. Pretty much anything has risks - are the benefits of the device worth it, once you've considered all the little risks you add to the situation?
  3. Have clear lines about acceptability. For some devices it might be pretty easy to define a clinical standard, or typical clinical performance of similar devices, and say that if you are no worse than standard practice then that's an acceptable level of risk. For others, you might need to get clinical opinion to get an idea of what is and is not acceptable. Either way, make sure you take a sane look at the result - think deeply about how many patients would experience the type of harm you're evaluating if your device were to be in widespread use.

I would highly recommend a process published by RQM+ for Risk- benefit analysis. Go to their blog and select this blog: A QUANTITATIVE APPROACH TO BENEFIT-RISK DETERMINATION

Ronen E

Problem Solver
I would highly recommend a process published by RQM+ for Risk- benefit analysis. Go to their blog and select this blog: A QUANTITATIVE APPROACH TO BENEFIT-RISK DETERMINATION
I read the article and I don't recommend it. It applies a simplistic approach to a very complex and nuanced topic, and mostly reiterates the basics without adding any real, significant, useful insight that I could identify (not to mention some of its confident statements are downright inaccurate). I won't go into detail here and now; anyone interested is welcome to read through the many deep (and lengthy) discussions we've had here (in Elsmar), over the years, on the fascinating topics of risk management and risk-benefit analyses.

In particular, the MDR's "Risk-Benefit Determination" is far from being simple, easy, straightforward or the likes. On the contrary, it's as clear as mud, and widely-agreed quantification is practically impossible as of now. The only really useful guidance I know of on this topic is in 24971:2020 (and not for lack of search or reading). If anyone tells you it's simple, stay away!

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I reviewed the RQM+ blog post, and I don't find it to be that offensive. I agree that a specific benefit-risk analysis (for given product) requires nuance, but for a blog post I think it does a reasonable job offering a hint of how to approach the topic. Any attempt at a precise mathematical approach to (intentionally) vague rankings (typically ordinal, and not variable) is going to be a fool's errand... so maybe it is the use of the word "quantitative" in the title that is causing offense?

I have not downloaded the referenced white papers or viewed the webinar, so my comments are made absent any specific recommendations beyond the referenced blog post.

I reviewed the RQM+ blog post, and I don't find it to be that offensive. I agree that a specific benefit-risk analysis (for given product) requires nuance, but for a blog post I think it does a reasonable job offering a hint of how to approach the topic. Any attempt at a precise mathematical approach to (intentionally) vague rankings (typically ordinal, and not variable) is going to be a fool's errand... so maybe it is the use of the word "quantitative" in the title that is causing offense?

I have not downloaded the referenced white papers or viewed the webinar, so my comments are made absent any specific recommendations beyond the referenced blog post.

Agree with you on this, however my recommendation was solely on my experience with benefit-risk analysis bearing in mind I am working with a class I medical device and we are at pre-launch. I understand that quantifying is not always possible and processes will evolve with the product. It is a good starting point for anyone new to benefit-risk alongside 24971:2020.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Bolesen, I have always likes the IMDRF documents. They have a document titled: Statement regarding use of ISO 14971:2007 Medical devises Application of risk management to medical devices.
International Medical Device Regulators Forum (IMDRF)
Quinn
Not the most relevant reference for the EU anymore - it's from 2015 and refers to ISO 14971:2007 / EN ISO 14971:2012, while the current edition is ISO 14971:2019 (and I highly recommend the 24971:2020 guidance).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Risk Management File - Procedure Packs ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
A AS 9100 - Risk Management Procedure and Flow Chart examples AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
S Product Risk Assessment and Management Procedure per API Q1 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
Uriel Alejandro Risk Identification Methods and Risk Management Procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 24
K AS 9100 Rev C - Risk Management Procedure and Template Preparation AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Risk Management Procedure - AS9100B certified Aerospace Engineering Services AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D AS9100C Risk Management Procedure Example AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 111
K Risk Management Procedure - Please review AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
K Configuration, Risk Analysis and Project Management in one procedure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
T Risk Management Procedure Mandatory in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22
M Clinical evaluation interface with the risk management process EU Medical Device Regulations 9
J ISO 10993-1:2018 Format to Perform Risk Management Process US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
M Intended Use vs Actual Use and Scope of Risk Management EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S IDCB 0129/0160 Clinical Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
A Risk Management Team IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 11
G Risk Management for IEC 60601-1 and IEC 60601-1-2 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 15
K Do you have separate clinical risk management group or experts in your manufactures? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Sidney Vianna ISO Practical Guide on ISO 31000:2018 - Risk Management Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
T Risk Assessment and Management Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 0
J HELP NEEDED ! Risk Management Exercise ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
O Should a Covid vaccine and testing policy be included as part of ISO9001 or AS9100 risk management? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
Melissa Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
U Supply risk management Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Biological Evaluation (10993) & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D Cybersecurity and Risk Management: Loss of confidentiality IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S Risk Management Review ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Risk Management and other Files ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Aymaneh Medical Device Cybersecurity Risk Management IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
A 21 CFR 820 - Risk Management - Looking for some guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
B ATP 5-19 "Risk Management" Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Identifying Hazards - Risk management process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
R Risk Management in the Medical Device Industry ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
F Linking an ISO 31000 Risk management SOP to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Ronen E The unbearable insensitivity of risk management language Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Risk/Benefit vs. benefit-risk - Revising an SOP covering Risk Management with the MDR in mind EU Medical Device Regulations 10
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
D Risk management according to ISO 14971 - When to document risk controls? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10