Risk Management Process, How far do I need to go?

Melissa

Starting to get Involved
First Time Poster :)
I work at a manufacturing facility that makes medical devices - we are a contact facility, meaning we do not design the product. As far as risk management goes, i cant really say much about anything else other then our production processes/human errors -- would it be necessary for me to go beyond -- such as an effect to end user?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Cthames

Involved In Discussions
Your risk management should ensure your production process is able to output product which meets the designer's specifications. I wouldn't worry about users. That should've been accounted for in the design specifications provided by the designer.

William55401

Quite Involved in Discussions
The legal manufacturer (your customer) owns the end to end 14971 risk mgmt process. Production and process controls, at your facility, are relevant to the overall RMF (risk management file). Typically, your firm will have create and maintain process FMEA that complement your customer's overall risk mgmt approach. Hope this helps.

Melissa

Starting to get Involved
The legal manufacturer (your customer) owns the end to end 14971 risk mgmt process. Production and process controls, at your facility, are relevant to the overall RMF (risk management file). Typically, your firm will have create and maintain process FMEA that complement your customer's overall risk mgmt approach. Hope this helps.
Assuming that I should get the customers Risk Management file to have mine compliment theirs?

Cthames

Involved In Discussions
Assuming that I should get the customers Risk Management file to have mine compliment theirs?
If anything, the customer should be asking for yours. For a simple FMEA, I'd analyze any potential hazards from production. For instance, how are you mitigating the risk of untrained personnel assembling materials? You train personnel and don't let unauthorized personnel into production areas. How are you ensuring no bad product escapes your facility? You are performing inspections.

These are pretty general, but you can follow the same manner of thinking for product-specific risks. PM me if you'd like to share more information about the products and I can maybe offer some slightly more specific guidance.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
Since you will be responsible for creating the Batch Records that the manufacturer will sign off on, they should also have the Risk Process on hand. This will help define your QC checks in the process.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
First Time Poster :)
I work at a manufacturing facility that makes medical devices - we are a contact facility, meaning we do not design the product. As far as risk management goes, i cant really say much about anything else other then our production processes/human errors -- would it be necessary for me to go beyond -- such as an effect to end user?
There has been some good advice. Here is how I see things, for a contract manufacturer (CM):

The CM ought to have Process FMEA that focus on implementing risk controls to minimize the production of non-conforming product. I'm somewhat of a stickler about asking for the specific evidence showing that the implement controls really are reducing this risk, but this can be a touchy subject. If a CM has a known scrap rate, the CM should (minimally) be able to explain the rate (pre- and post-controls) and use it to justify whatever sort of sampling plan is implemented.

The customer ought to be telling the CM what (if any) processes/controls they require the CM to implement, and then the customer should assess the risk controls (for such processes). This assessment will be drive by their Risk Management file, which is where the consideration for the patient/customer comes into play. For example, is is common that plastic parts from an injected molding process will have some amount of "mold release" on them... the customer may want the CM to remove manufacturing fluids (because of risk to patients), or they may decide to do it themselves. In this example: if the customer decides to take on the parts cleaning by themselves, there isn't much point for a CM to consider patient risk... the CM will still be focused on making parts "to spec".

If the customer is pushing risk controls for patient/user/stakeholder safety to a CM; the customer is still responsible for assessing the appropriateness and effectiveness of those risk controls.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H Risk Management Plan in agile process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M Identifying Hazards - Risk management process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
D Where does FMEA fit in your ISO 14971 Risk Management process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 13
J Differences between a Risk Management Plan vs. Production Part Approval Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Q Risk Management - Additional Process in ISO 9001:2015? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Is Risk Management Process compliant to ISO 14971 in absence of Hazardous Situations? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M Streamlined Risk Management Process - Focus on Compliance with Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
V Common Errors while Implementing Risk Management Process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
S Do HF Accessories need to perform a Risk Management Process of 60601-1:2005? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
L ISO13485 Cl. 7.1 Process Flow (Product Realization & Risk Management requirements)? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C Who should "own" the Risk Management Process? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
D Risk Assessment - Problem Management Process - Seeking Model/Example Software Quality Assurance 1
S KPIs (Key Performance Indicators) and Risk Management Process (ISO14971:2007) ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
B What to include in a "Risk management/FMEA" process FMEA and Control Plans 3
M Risk Management Process Workbook - Attached Files FMEA and Control Plans 28
D Does Risk Management apply to re-labeler (MDR) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
U Supply risk management Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
T Biological Evaluation (10993) & Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
D Cybersecurity and Risk Management: Loss of confidentiality IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S Risk Management Review ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
S Risk Management and other Files ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
silentmonkey Overall Benefit/Risk Analysis - Risk Management VS Clinical Evaluation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Aymaneh Medical Device Cybersecurity Risk Management IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
A 21 CFR 820 - Risk Management - Looking for some guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
B ATP 5-19 "Risk Management" Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
R Risk Management in the Medical Device Industry ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
F Linking an ISO 31000 Risk management SOP to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
Ronen E The unbearable insensitivity of risk management language Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
S ISO 14971 Risk Management - Questions for Hazard identification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Risk/Benefit vs. benefit-risk - Revising an SOP covering Risk Management with the MDR in mind EU Medical Device Regulations 10
A Defining Expected Service Life in Risk Management File Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
R Linking the Processes of Continual Improvement, Change Management, Risk Management, Action Planning, etc? Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 5
D Risk management according to ISO 14971 - When to document risk controls? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
J Software for Techfiles and Risk management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 1
M Informational ISO TC 210 IEC SC 62A JWG 1 Medical device risk management – São Paulo meeting 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
M Medical Device News ISO TC 210 IEC SC 62A JWG 1 Medical device risk management – São Paulo meeting 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational ISO TC 210 JWG 1 meeting in São Paulo – Revision of ISO 14971 and ISO TR 24971 – Medical Device Risk Management Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Risk Management Report as per MDR Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Medical Device Cybersecurity Risk Management File ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
M Medical Device News Health Canada Notice of intent: Strengthening the post-market surveillance and risk management Canada Medical Device Regulations 1
Q Evidence of precautions (clinical evaluation report, risk management report) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
Q Risk / benefit Analysis in Risk Management Report CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12