Risk/Opportunity in a combined ISO 9001 & 14001 System

QC Dave

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

We are preparing to transition from ISO 9001:2008 to ISO 9001:2015. We already have ISO 14001:2015. My question is in regard to establishing a Risk/Opportunity Management Procedure.

As part of our Quality, Environmental, Health & Safety Management System Manual (QEHSMS Manual), we already have a "Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment Procedure". This covers the risk assessment for the Environmental, Health & Safety side of things. These are my questions.

• Is it practical to add to this, the risk and opportunity assessment for the rest of the management system?
  • Is there an "opportunity" side of the environmental, health & safety? ( If so I guess it would be that everyone and the environment is "healthy"?)

Forgive me if these are dumb questions. I simply don't want to have to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
1st - Yes just combine everything, besides you always been managing risks & opportunities anyway they just weren't called it before.

2 - Define healthy (quantify it). You definition of healthy may not be the same as another's. As has been stated many times in different ways, if you can't measure it how are you to monitor it?

I've already audited 3 QMS-EMS-OHS systems this year (one last week in fact) and what you want to do is exactly what they have done

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Can a risk be an opportunity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P What is the exact difference between Risk and Opportunity in context of ISO 27001? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
Q Risk & opportunity assessment - ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 15
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Identification of hazards and Risk file IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Robert Stanley I'm @ RISK of not showing my RISKS! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
adir88 Information of safety can reduce risk now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M Has anyone heard of Run at Risk? Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
Tagin Is SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 on your risk register? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J ISO 14971 applied to ISO 13485? Low risk class 1 devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3
D Performance specification as a Risk Control Measure, EN 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
M Risk Classification For Supplier - Clinical Research Organisation (CRO) Supply Chain Security Management Systems 3
Sidney Vianna IAQG SCMH explains "positive risk"..........but does it? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
MrTetris Unacceptable risk and information for safety ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 15
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
D Risk Analysis & Technical File - What detail goes in the Risk Management Report ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
C AS9100 Rev D 8.1.1 & APQP - Operational risk management process AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 0
B ATP 5-19 "Risk Management" Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
D Reduction of software class based on multiple external risk controls IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
N Risk Management besides mandated FDA requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M An example of risk analysis of class I MD ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 36
M Identifying Hazards - Risk management process ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M Risk and Corrective actions - Currently no FMEA's - Car systems Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 8
P Risk acceptability alignment between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
U When do we identify Residual Risk? Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 11
R Risk Management in the Medical Device Industry ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
U Changes to Internal Processes and Risk Evaluation - Mitigations Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 10
M Informational Work in progress at the FDA for biological evaluation – Color Hazard and RISk calculator (CHRIS) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
K EU MDR Rule 11 - Does the 'Risk logic' used in Rule 11 conflict with that used in the other rules? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Validation of existing equipment - Risk based approach example ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Requirement of Pharmacovigilance (Drug Safety) Risk Based Strategic and Tactical Audit Plan General Auditing Discussions 0
Marc Also see these Risk related Elsmar forums FMEA and Control Plans 0
F Linking an ISO 31000 Risk management SOP to ISO 17025 ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
M Informational Final guidance – GUIDELINES on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devices covering phthalates which are carc Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational FDA discussion paper – Consideration of Benefit-Risk Approaches for Weight-Loss Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0