Risk/Opportunity in a combined ISO 9001 & 14001 System

QC Dave

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

We are preparing to transition from ISO 9001:2008 to ISO 9001:2015. We already have ISO 14001:2015. My question is in regard to establishing a Risk/Opportunity Management Procedure.

As part of our Quality, Environmental, Health & Safety Management System Manual (QEHSMS Manual), we already have a "Hazard Identification and Risk Assessment Procedure". This covers the risk assessment for the Environmental, Health & Safety side of things. These are my questions.

• Is it practical to add to this, the risk and opportunity assessment for the rest of the management system?
  • Is there an "opportunity" side of the environmental, health & safety? ( If so I guess it would be that everyone and the environment is "healthy"?)

Forgive me if these are dumb questions. I simply don't want to have to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
1st - Yes just combine everything, besides you always been managing risks & opportunities anyway they just weren't called it before.

2 - Define healthy (quantify it). You definition of healthy may not be the same as another's. As has been stated many times in different ways, if you can't measure it how are you to monitor it?

I've already audited 3 QMS-EMS-OHS systems this year (one last week in fact) and what you want to do is exactly what they have done

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Opportunity For Improvement vs Opportunity (Positive Risk) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
J Can a risk be an opportunity? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
P What is the exact difference between Risk and Opportunity in context of ISO 27001? IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 7
S Internal Audit - Risk and Opportunity (ISO 9001:2015 ) Internal Auditing 1
Q Risk & opportunity assessment - ISO 14001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 1
R Risk control measures as per ISO 14971 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
D Deciding whether or not pre-market clinical investigation is required for low risk device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
R The term "Benefit Risk Ratio" in EU MDR, do I need to present benefit risk analysis as a RATIO Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 1
_robinsingh Security Risk Assessment Tool IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 0
A 21 CFR 820 - Risk Management - Looking for some guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
bryan willemot Contract Review and risk managment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Risk Analysis using Monte Carlo Simulation instead of Scoring and Heat Map Risk Management Principles and Generic Guidelines 2
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
E Normal Condition Hazards in Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
silentmonkey Rationalising the level of effort and depth of software validation based on risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
R Risk assessment on IT containers and the information they contain IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
B Threat/Vulnerability Catalogue for risk assessment IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
R FOD Risk Assessment - What tools would you recommend for assessing FOD risk? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
R Identify Medical Device characterstics as Annex C of ISO 14971 Risk Management ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A ISO 14971 PFMEA Manufacturing Risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
Q Example of the Risk Template Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
K Overall residual risk according to ISO 14971:2019 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
A Risk Number for each software requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
A IEC 60601 11.2.2.1 Risk of Fire in an Oxygen Rich Environment, Source of Ignition IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
D Importing a general wellness low risk product Other US Medical Device Regulations 3
C Quantifying risk in choosing the number of parts, operators and replicates in a GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 4
R AQL, Consumer Risk and MA Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Risk managment report of Surgical Mask Example ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 14
M Risk Analysis Flow - Confusion between ISO 14971 and IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
R ECG Risk Analysis Standards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
N Device Labeling - Medtronic Ventilator Files (Risk Management documents) Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
A 5 x 5 Risk Matrix - Looking for a good example Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
F Risk for Quality Assurance Department in a Hospital - Hospital Incident Reporting ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
M Should volume of sales be factored into risk probability assessments? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 33
T How do you define your Hazards? <a Risk Management discussion> ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 16
adir88 Documenting Risk Control Option Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 8
B Risk Assessment Checklist for Non product Software IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
MrTetris Should potential bugs be considered in software risk analysis? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
K Identification of hazards and Risk file IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
Robert Stanley I'm @ RISK of not showing my RISKS! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
M Estimating the benefit-risk ration under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 1
adir88 Information of safety can reduce risk now? ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
adir88 MDR requirement: Risk Management Plan for "each device" ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M Has anyone heard of Run at Risk? Manufacturing and Related Processes 15
Tagin Is SARS-CoV-2/COVID-19 on your risk register? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 11
D IEC 62304 Risk Classification - With and without hardware control IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 2
J ISO 14971 applied to ISO 13485? Low risk class 1 devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
DuncanGibbons Classification of aerospace parts depending on their risk and criticality etc. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Standards and Requirements 3