Risk Rating approaches (OHSAS 18001 - For Office Environments)

Risk prioritization by:

• a matrix approach, requiring scoring and grading of risk

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • A line in the manual that acknowledges prioritization is considered in mitigating actions

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters
P

Peter West

Dear Cove

I searched through the threads and sure this has been covered in some form but couldn't find it.

We are developing our H&S management system to OHS&S 18001 for international launch, and following a gap analysis of the system i noted that we do not prioritize identified risk - we simply outline the control and the timeline for the corrective action.

We have 2 options -

The matrix approach scoring risk based on likelihood and severity then grading it low, medium and high (with associated guidelines for control actions and timelines).

A line in the procedure, and within training that states 'mitigating actions borne of risk assessments consider the risk (its severity and its likelihood) and provide for it accordingly, primarily through the deadline for corrective action'.

Each have their pros and cons but as we are a simple office set up with standard hazards across the world (no extraordinary hazards identified) I think the second option is the most effective.

Please can you consider and let me know what you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kgott

Re: Risk Rating approaches (OHS&S 18001 -For Office Environments)

Dear Cove

The matrix approach scoring risk based on likelihood and severity then grading it low, medium and high (with associated guidelines for control actions and timelines).

In my opinion, the matrix approach has the advantage of being more likely to result in a more uniform interpretation and application across your organization/s. This in turn is more likely to reduce variation in the assessment of risk and in the application of suitable controls.

You can build into your procedure; a requirement, that any corrective/preventative actions (controls) are to be verified to be effective using some kind of metric such as number of unwanted events associated with the selected control vs the number of times the chosen control is applied, over a 12 month period for example.

Where the control is found to be in-effective, other potential controls can be evaluated and applied until one is found to be effective using the metric you select.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Dear Cove

I searched through the threads and sure this has been covered in some form but couldn't find it.

We are developing our H&S management system to OHS&S 18001 for international launch, and following a gap analysis of the system i noted that we do not prioritize identified risk - we simply outline the control and the timeline for the corrective action.

We have 2 options -

A line in the procedure, and within training that states 'mitigating actions borne of risk assessments consider the risk (its severity and its likelihood) and provide for it accordingly, primarily through the deadline for corrective action'.

Each have their pros and cons but as we are a simple office set up with standard hazards across the world (no extraordinary hazards identified) I think the second option is the most effective.

OHSAS 18002:2008 (guidelines for implementing OHSAS 18001:2007) gives you comparisons of some examples of risk assessment tools and methodologies in the informative Annex D.
It compares 7 tools that can be used.

M

mparus1

Does anyone have a FMEA like ( RPN rating based) tool such as an excel spreadsheet they can share for Risk and Hazard ratings and reduction activities they can share?

K

kgott

Dear Cove

We have 2 options -

and provide for it accordingly, primarily through the deadline for corrective action'.
?

Does your risk assessment matrix have a guidleines or rules for each of scores in the risk assessment? Such a set of guideliens or rules advise what actions to take for each 'score' your risk matrix gives. Your risk matrix is your guiding document. If you act in accordance with the risk matrix you can prove probity and due diligence.

See the section Management Controls and Response in the attachment.

"'mitigating actions borne of risk assessments consider the risk (its severity and its likelihood)."

I dont have a problem with this but, in my opinion, its written in a complicated way but its really not necessary to have this sentence.

Attachments

• Risk Assessment Matrix 1.JPG
    Risk Assessment Matrix 1.JPG
    172.5 KB · Views: 1,001
K

kgott

Dear Cove

We have 2 options -

If you use this approach, you have a defined and consistent method for assessing risk and likelihood. Your risk matrix determinations of risk will then indicate the sorts of actions to take. Actions taken are comensurate with the risk, eg high risk issues are to be dealt with more urgently than low risk issues.

Using the risk matrix approach will achieve a more consistent approach to determining solutions and setting priority for managing issues.

Top Bottom