RMA's? When to/not to be issued?

QCBOB

Quality Manager
Hi,

I have a questions regarding Customer Returns/RMA's. One of our customers is asking for an RMA so they can send us a part that we originally made, but for additional services. They have admitted that this was a result of an error from them and they are requesting us to modify the part. They do not have the original PO for this part and we cannot track when this was originally made and how long it was sitting on their shelf.

My thought is that the work should be quoted and a new PO should be issued for the additional services that are requested, is that correct? If we sent out a part for coating, and it comes back and we scuff it and need to send it back out, we would not ask for a customer return, we would just issue another PO for the additional service.

Corporate tracks our customer returns, so ultimately this would look negatively against our site if I was to issue a Customer Return.

Am I right in denying to issue a customer return for this?

Small backstory - We are a smaller machine shop that does not produce high volume parts, more made to order and custom one offs as well.

Randy

Super Moderator
Bottom line......... You're right in doing what works best for you and your customers, whatever that is. Everything else is fluff.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
This is really a matter of how YOUR processes and policies are structured. There is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to take back a product for modification.

In our case, we do use our RMA system to take back a computer that a customer wishes to upgrade to a newer revision. This allows us to use one system for controlling customer-owned property. These RMAs are classified as 'Upgrades', so that they are not counted as defects or failures.

AdiS_RO

Registered
you need to check your contract, there might be the case that you offer services under some circumstances. if not as you sad a quote including shipment needs to be done and a PO received from customer.

Top Bottom