Rockwell Hardness Testers ? Brand Recommendation

K

Kevin H

Rockwell Hardness Testers – Brand Recommendation

Hello, we’re planning to purchase an additional Rockwell Hardness tester this year for testing to Rockwell C, B, A, F, & H scales. The primary sample being tested is a pressed and sintered iron powder test bar named a TRS (Transverse Rupture Strength) bar. For those not in PM, the bar size is 1.25 “long by .5 “wide by about ¼” thick. Our current tester was manufactured by Mitutoyo, and while relatively reliable has some idiosyncrasies which lead me to prefer replacing it with a different brand. We are looking primarily at testers that are more automated to minimize human variability in the test process.

I’ve had a lot of experience over the years with Rockwell testers manufactured by Wilson Instruments –we’re looking at 2 different Wilson models, the R524 digital tester and the series 2000. (Both are newer models than the ones I’ve worked with over the years.) Overall, I’d rate the service I’ve experienced from Wilson for their equipment as good to superior and the equipment as very durable. (We currently use Wilson for calibration of our hardness testers.) We’re also looking at the Leco LR-series. My experience with Leco is more in the area of metallographic equipment & supplies, and for carbon/sulfur and oxygen/nitrogen analyzers. For those supplies and equipment I’d rate Leco on the same level as Wilson. I’m also aware of New Age as a supplier of Hardness testing equipment, but we haven’t checked out models from them yet, and I have no experience with the quality of equipment provided.

I’d be interested in hearing from folks with information on their experiences with the suppliers mentioned and any other supplier of Rockwell hardness equipment that they believe has provided them superior quality equipment/service.

E

e006823

Re: Rockwell Hardness Testers – Brand Recommendation

I'd recommend Wilson Instruments products.

Regards,

Top Bottom