ROHS and Prop 65 regulated materials: Alternative to the mdsystems database?

R

RosieA

Alternative to the mdsystems database?

I posed this question in another thread, 2 months ago, but didn't get any responses, maybe because it was buried. Let me try it from the persepctive of a whole new thread.

My company is getting inundated with requests for compliance to ROHS and Prop 65 regulated materials. The issues are complex, such as the definition of lead free and cadmium free. Every customer seems to have a different definition.

The only database that addresses this that we know of is the mdsystems one, and that is focused on the automotive industry.

Are there any other databases, not automotive, out there besides the mdsystems.com one, that are from other industries? It seems silly for us all to undertake this effort individually when the information is needed universally.

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
You might want to look to the electronics and/or micro-electronics industry, much of what they do is going lead free.

Also check with Japanese companies like Sony and see how they address this.

Have you done a Google search?

S

Squid

Definitions

We are a Japanese company but we are also an automotive company. I will look tomorrow when I am work as I have some pretty good definitions and such. I will pass them along and hope that they help. I also have a data sheet from Ashland Chemical when they set up our Universal Waste Stream Program and both were listed. As they are our waste disposer, I would think their definitons might be right on the money. Sorry I dont have the info here at home, but like I said, I will pass on tomorrow (11/04/03) Have a great evening. Sorry I posted this in the wrong place. I will try again. Sorry still learning

R

RosieA

Randy said:
You might want to look to the electronics and/or micro-electronics industry, much of what they do is going lead free.

Also check with Japanese companies like Sony and see how they address this.

Have you done a Google search?
Sony is actually one of the customers driving this initiative in-house, along with Motorola. We also have Engineering guys on industry standards committees that are looking at these issue. Sony's only recommendation was the mdsystems database.

One of the frustrations is that the customers aren't doing more to coordinate the information. We are one of several vendors using the same materials. We're all being asked to research the same information from the same suppliers, without any attempt at coordination, or even a good set of ground rules.

We've created our own database internally, but it's slow going and the expense of testing materials is falling heavily on us. It's frustrating to have to bear the expense of testing when the testing has already been done by someone else.

R

RosieA

Hiya Marc,

We've not found anything other than the mdsystem database. We don't have an industry association that might coordinate this on our behalf, so we're off doing our own thing.

One of our frustrations is that the companies driving this are not sharing nformation, and making each supplier research everything on the BOM. So there are multiple companies researching the same components and investing the money to do all the testing required. There needs to be a lot more coordination on this topic for businesses. :frust:

Rosie

R

RosieA

Thanks for the info.

Our in-house database does the same thing and it's free. ;)

I'm hoping to find an non-automotive shared database out there in the ether somewhere, but so far, the automotive folks appear to be miles ahead of other industry segments.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
RosieA said:
Thanks for the info.

Our in-house database does the same thing and it's free. ;)

I'm hoping to find an non-automotive shared database out there in the ether somewhere, but so far, the automotive folks appear to be miles ahead of other industry segments.
Sony has been mentioned a few times in this conversation. I do have a contact with that organization who is involved in the EHS Department. I mentioned this thread to him and he graciously offered to help out if he could. Rosie, if you have any specific questions, PM me with them and I'll forward them on to my contact.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Prop 65 and RoHS statement REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Informational RoHS Standard - EN 63000:2018 to replace EN 50581:2012 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
R ROHS Exemption Declarations REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
M ROHS : Applicability for AIMDs RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
T China ROHS exemptions - Are there any exemptions for ROHS 2 China? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
D The Status of ROHS for Medical Devices - April 2019 REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
Ed Panek CE REP questions about our devices ROHS compliance REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
J What my companies RoHS declaration should say 2011/65/EU, 2015/863, or 2017/2102 REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
bio_subbu EU Publishes New DIRECTIVE (EU) 2017/2102 AMENDING 2011/65/EU ON ROHS-2 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
T CE Marking & Compliance to MDD, EMC, RoHS, and GPSD REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
J RoHS, WEEE and REACH Consulting Expertise Needed REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
Q Guidance regarding Legally Refurbishing a Non-RoHS Instrument in the EU REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
S Sell a Non-RoHS device, manufactured before RoHs regulations became effective? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q EU ROHS and GUI Usability Trial Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M RoHS Directive - Supplier Compliance - Declaration of Conformance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
dubrizo Who handles Your Reach, RoHS, 3TG Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
B RoHS Directive 2014/5/EU Leaded Solder Exemption RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
bio_subbu Official Journal of EU published two new RoHS Exemptions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A RoHS compliance - Our market is non EU countries only ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Will A Few Failed Solder Joints Make Me RoHS Non Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
L IOS-MAT-0010 vs REACH/ROHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P Must all parts of a product be RoHS compliant? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N RoHS Compliance requirement for Hexavalent Chromium RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
R RoHS Compliance Problem with One Component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
J RoHS Components with Lead Exemptions (Capacitors on a PCB) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
B Query on Medical Device Electronics RoHS Certificate Statement RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
R RoHS Medical Devices: Application to Accessories, Components and Non-EE parts CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
M Finding a hardware supplier/distributor compliant with RoHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
D ROHS 2 - Medical Device: Placing vs Making Available on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R RoHS and placing on the market in Non EU countries RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
SteveK RoHS Conformity Risk Assessment - Medical Devices RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
SteveK RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU Revision ? Medical Devices - 22nd July 2014 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 30
J RoHS-Non RoHS Multifunctional Workbench RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M RoHS CE Mark - Medical Devices built for US before 22 July 2014 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L What needs to be done to prove compliance with RoHS and WEEE EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Start Compliance to RoHS, SCHV and REACH RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
S What needs to be done to demonstrate RoHS compliance for Medical Devices? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
A ROHS and CE Mark - Requirements for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M RoHS for Disposable Medical Device Assemblies RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
somashekar Where does RoHS stuff get audited by CB's? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3