RoHS Compliance Problem with One Component

R

robertjbeck

The company's product has been on the market for several years and we are now attempting to make it RoHS compliant. a major part of this process has been to contact each component supplier and get information establishing that their component meets the RoHS standard.

There is just one component that is not RoHS compliant. unfortunately, there is not a substitute for this particular component. it would require extensive re-design to eliminate it from the device, and this is not practical.

My question is, what is the best way to handle this situation?

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Hi Robert.
There are ways. It will help to answer, if we can know the product and that one component.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few
The company's product has been on the market for several years and we are now attempting to make it RoHS compliant. a major part of this process has been to contact each component supplier and get information establishing that their component meets the RoHS standard.

There is just one component that is not RoHS compliant. unfortunately, there is not a substitute for this particular component. it would require extensive re-design to eliminate it from the device, and this is not practical.

My question is, what is the best way to handle this situation?

Here are your options:

1) be not RoHS compliant
2) be RoHS compliant with an exemption. What exemption does this component qualify for?
3) are you sure there is no substitute? I have heard that before. More research is needed here. Why depend on one supplier who is holding you hostage?
4) what is the supplier's plan to make this component RoHS compliant?

I would like to hear what the component is and what the RoHS problem is.

R

robertjbeck

The product is an MRI coil. It's a class II device. There are about 80 components. The problem component is a 2$ coaxial connector that the distributor says is not compliant with RoHS. I have not been able to locate a specification sheet for the component, so we do not know why it is not compliant. I'm looking into the reasons for there not being a substitute and working on tracking down a materials specification sheet.

I'm not sure why the details matter. This is bound to come up with other products and components.

Last edited by a moderator:

somashekar

Leader
Admin
The product is an MRI coil. It's a class II device. There are about 80 components. The problem component is a 2$ coaxial connector that the distributor says is not compliant with RoHS. I have not been able to locate a specification sheet for the component, so we do not know why it is not compliant. I'm looking into the reasons for there not being a substitute and working on tracking down a materials specification sheet.

I'm not sure why the details matter. This is bound to come up with other products and components.
When you say that the distributor says is not compliant with RoHS, I will tend to confirm with the connector manufacturer.
An other way would be to get the connector tested at a third party lab for RoHS yourself. A point to note here is that if the connector uses any alloy of copper, in which case lead up to 4% is permissible. There is every chance that it will pass the test. It is worth getting details of each connector parts from manufacturer, if he has not got his part RoHS tested. Any plated part in the connector ... that will add to your worry.

Kales Veggie

People: The Vital Few

Of course details matter. :D You have to get a disclosure from the manufacturer. Lead in a steel alloy? Lead in a copper alloy? Restricted substance in the insulation material?

A quick internet search shows that many manufacturers offer RoHS compliant coaxial connectors.

Top Bottom