ROHS Exemption Declarations

Ralba

Involved In Discussions
Hello all,

I am a relative newbie to the field of electronics. A customer has asked us for a RoHS compliance form for a we have made for them, and we issued a standard one with no exemptions claimed. All parts used on this product are from the BoM issued by our customer. When the customer does not specifically request leaded solder, we tend to use unleaded.

I was under the impression that the declarations of exemptions were for the whole product you are manufacturing. However, this customer has asked us if we really have no exemptions, because one of the components used in the final assembly (a small, galvanized spacer) is exempt under 6(a)-I, machined metal leaded content.

So please help me understand when we should be declaring exemptions and how they should be notated. Should I be putting the part and exemption? I doubt that exemption can apply to our final product since it is probably less than 1% of the total weight of the final assembly.

Also, please let me know how it should be stated if we HAD used leaded solder to make sure I am understanding all of this correctly.

Thank you!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ralba

Involved In Discussions
I will give myself one bump then let the thread die.

Again, I am trying to understand if I would need to declare exemptions on my product on every issuance of compliance, or if I can just say it is compliant and give more details on how it is compliant if someone asks.

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
The guidance that you are looking for is in the RoHS Guide (my use of bold text):

Q8.11 What does a CE mark on EEE mean with regard to the restricted substances?
CE marking symbolises the conformity of the product with the applicable EU requirements imposed on the manufacturer. The CE marking affixed to a product therefore is a declaration by the person responsible that
- the product conforms to all applicable EU provisions, and
- the appropriate conformity assessment procedures have been carried out.
From 2nd January 2013 EEE in scope that bears a CE marking is presumed to be in conformity with the requirements of RoHS 2 and therefore is presumed not to contain more than the tolerated maximum concentration values as mentioned in Annexes II, III and IV of RoHS 2.

And if you look at the format for the EU DoC in Annev VI of the Directive, you won't find anything about listing applied exemptions.

Details of any exemptions that you apply should be documented in your Technical File and care should be taken that items have been "placed on the market" in advance of any exemptions expiring

Ralba

Involved In Discussions
And if you look at the format for the EU DoC in Annev VI of the Directive, you won't find anything about listing applied exemptions.

Details of any exemptions that you apply should be documented in your Technical File and care should be taken that items have been "placed on the market" in advance of any exemptions expiring
After posting this, I looked extensively at the files and the declarations of other companies, and came to that conclusion, but I was not 100% confident. We decided to go with the conclusion until proven otherwise. Your response relieves some remaining anxiety about our execution on this subject, so thank you very much.

Ralba

Involved In Discussions
I wanted to update this with information I was given. I emailed International Trade Administration (US gov) with this question back when I was posting this, and they replied. In case anyone searches this thread in the future to find the information I was looking for, I will post the response here. His reply is in bold.

What legally is the requirement for these declarations? Do we need to need to declare just compliance, or state in detail every exemption in the product?
The ROHS Directive does not provide instructions on the contents of the compliance declaration. It does require that manufactures hold records that substantiate the declaration.

CharlieUK

Quite Involved in Discussions
The informer
What legally is the requirement for these declarations? Do we need to need to declare just compliance, or state in detail every exemption in the product?
The ROHS Directive does not provide instructions on the contents of the compliance declaration. It does require that manufactures hold records that substantiate the declaration.
The format for the DoC is given in Annex VI
A "Single" DoC must be produced covering all applicable legislation, so you might be listing 3 or 4 Directives and Regulations on a DoC
If you have correctly applied the exemptions, then your product meets the Directive

Article 7 requires manufacturers to record and keep evidence of how compliance with the Directive has been established - this is the requirement to hold records that substantiate the declaration

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B RoHS Directive 2014/5/EU Leaded Solder Exemption RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
ScottK RoHS exemption for Lead in Copper Alloys - a potential change? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
T ELV vs. RoHS - Exemption Comparision between ELV and RoHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M Informational RoHS Standard - EN 63000:2018 to replace EN 50581:2012 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
M ROHS : Applicability for AIMDs RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
T China ROHS exemptions - Are there any exemptions for ROHS 2 China? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
D The Status of ROHS for Medical Devices - April 2019 REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
Ed Panek CE REP questions about our devices ROHS compliance REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
S Prop 65 and RoHS statement REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
J What my companies RoHS declaration should say 2011/65/EU, 2015/863, or 2017/2102 REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
bio_subbu EU Publishes New DIRECTIVE (EU) 2017/2102 AMENDING 2011/65/EU ON ROHS-2 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
T CE Marking & Compliance to MDD, EMC, RoHS, and GPSD REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
J RoHS, WEEE and REACH Consulting Expertise Needed REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
Q Guidance regarding Legally Refurbishing a Non-RoHS Instrument in the EU REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
S Sell a Non-RoHS device, manufactured before RoHs regulations became effective? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q EU ROHS and GUI Usability Trial Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M RoHS Directive - Supplier Compliance - Declaration of Conformance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
dubrizo Who handles Your Reach, RoHS, 3TG Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
bio_subbu Official Journal of EU published two new RoHS Exemptions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A RoHS compliance - Our market is non EU countries only ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Will A Few Failed Solder Joints Make Me RoHS Non Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
L IOS-MAT-0010 vs REACH/ROHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P Must all parts of a product be RoHS compliant? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N RoHS Compliance requirement for Hexavalent Chromium RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
R RoHS Compliance Problem with One Component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
J RoHS Components with Lead Exemptions (Capacitors on a PCB) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
B Query on Medical Device Electronics RoHS Certificate Statement RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
R RoHS Medical Devices: Application to Accessories, Components and Non-EE parts CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
M Finding a hardware supplier/distributor compliant with RoHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
D ROHS 2 - Medical Device: Placing vs Making Available on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R RoHS and placing on the market in Non EU countries RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
SteveK RoHS Conformity Risk Assessment - Medical Devices RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
SteveK RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU Revision ? Medical Devices - 22nd July 2014 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 30
J RoHS-Non RoHS Multifunctional Workbench RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M RoHS CE Mark - Medical Devices built for US before 22 July 2014 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L What needs to be done to prove compliance with RoHS and WEEE EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Start Compliance to RoHS, SCHV and REACH RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
S What needs to be done to demonstrate RoHS compliance for Medical Devices? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
A ROHS and CE Mark - Requirements for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M RoHS for Disposable Medical Device Assemblies RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1