Informational RoHS Standard - EN 63000:2018 to replace EN 50581:2012

Mark Meer

Trusted Information Resource
With regards to RoHS technical documentation and RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU:

I notice that on sites to purchase standards, the harmonised standard EN 50581:2012 (Canceled) is listed as withdrawn.
It is superseded by EN 63000:2018, however at present this is not listed as a harmonised standard.

Questions:
  1. Does anyone know if there are substantive differences between the old EN 50581:2012 and new EN 63000:2018?
  2. From my understanding, EN 50581:2012 is expected to remain a harmonised standard until 2024. Can anyone confirm?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

YellowQCPro

Starting to get Involved
Hi Mark,

I too have questions regarding standards and their applicability when they are not harmonized. I think that you can purchase tracked changes from the BSi standards page here:

BS EN IEC 63000:2018 - TC - Tracked Changes. Technical documentation for the assessment of electrical and electronic products with respect to the restriction of hazardous substances

But my question is....

How do you determine if you need to be compliant to EN vs. EN ISO or even BS EN ISO?

My company has manf. facilities in US and EU. The NB is BSi.

If a standard is harmonized, is that considered state of the art?
Or do you typically purchase the standards that are applicable in your EU manf. facility (i.e. EN ISO)?

planB

YellowQC Pro,

How do you determine if you need to be compliant to EN vs. EN ISO or even BS EN ISO?
Typically, the normative part of EN ISO standard versions are identical to the respective ISO standard. EN ISo versions may additionally contain the so-called informative "Z-Annexes" for e.g. medical-device related standards, where the standard clauses are related to the applicable MDD / AIMD and potentially in the future, to the applicable MDR section.

You cannot buy EN ISO standards from CENELEC, but you typically do from a national standards publishing agency, which publishes a BS EN ISO version in Britain, a DIN EN ISO version in Germany, an ÖNORM EN ISO version in Austria, etc. of an EN ISO standard.

Bottom line: whether you claim compliance to an ISO version of a standard or an EN ISO version typically does not make any difference with only a few exceptions, such as ISO 14971, risk management for medical devices.

If a standard is harmonized, is that considered state of the art?
This was the concept of "former" times when in the field of medical devices, state-of-the art standard revisions were quite regularly updated in the list of harmonised standards. Unfortunately, the harmonisation process has practically come to a standstill with only one recent harmonisation effort this year and none for the MDR as of today. Even this recent updated harmonisation is incomplete: e.g. EN ISO 10993-1:2009 is still the harmonised biocompatibility standard and has not yet been replaced by its related state-of the art update ISO 10993-1:2018, for which even no EN ISO version has been published yet.

Bottom line: notified bodies tend to expect compliance to state-of-the art standards, since a lot of harmonised ((medical device) standards are practically outdated. Try to get compliant to relevant published ISO standards with 1/2 -1 year after publication. This is, to my experience, a typical time-frame after which notified bodies start to expect compliance.

HTH,

Mark Meer

Before purchasing the tracked changes for £164.00, I'd like to know that this is worthwhile purchase.

Are there significant changes? I trust that it is still acceptable to rely on supplier declarations of component parts?

planB

Mark,

taking a sneak peek into the free standard preview forword Charlie kindly provided:

This document supersedes EN 50581:2012. IEC 63000 is based on EN 50581:2012. Given the widespread acceptance of EN 50581:2012, it was decided to keep the text as close as possible to the original document, and to limit the changes to the minimum necessary to reflect the latest status of international standardization in this area
and from the change notification of DIN's publisher Beuth:

Gegenüber DIN EN 50581 (VDE 0042-12):2013-02 wurden folgende Änderungen vorgenommen: a) Der Inhalt von EN 50581 wurde weitestgehend unverändert in eine Internationale Norm überführt.
it becomes obvious that the technical requirements remained unchanged.

HTH,

monoj mon

Involved In Discussions
How much????

You can buy a legitimate multi-user licence copy for 13 Euro at EVS-EN IEC 63000:2018 (15.70 Euro for redlined)

BSI are one the most expensive places to purchase standards, and Estonian Standards are generally the cheapest
Thanks Charlie for this wonderful information, it is very helpful. Just wondering, are there any differences in content between the BSI version and EVS version!

planB

monoj mon,

national (European) versions are typically identical in their normative part, may or may not be translated into the national language and contain a national foreword.

HTH,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A ROHS Materials Declaration Standard IPC-1752 free of charge for download RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
Marcel DS How do I know if my product is required be RoHS certified? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
C Difficulties getting RoHS/REACH for cheap parts RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
R ROHS Exemption Declarations REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
M ROHS : Applicability for AIMDs RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
J Where can I find the latest update to Reach and ROHS? REACH and RoHS Conversations 7
padraick63 REACH and ROHS Requirement for a Molded Part REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R Certificate of compliance to RoHS/REACH/WEEE - any such animal? REACH and RoHS Conversations 18
T China ROHS exemptions - Are there any exemptions for ROHS 2 China? REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
D The Status of ROHS for Medical Devices - April 2019 REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
Ed Panek CE REP questions about our devices ROHS compliance REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
R REACH and ROHS compliance for hundreds of parts made over 25 years REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
S Prop 65 and RoHS statement REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
J What my companies RoHS declaration should say 2011/65/EU, 2015/863, or 2017/2102 REACH and RoHS Conversations 3
bio_subbu EU Publishes New DIRECTIVE (EU) 2017/2102 AMENDING 2011/65/EU ON ROHS-2 REACH and RoHS Conversations 0
T CE Marking & Compliance to MDD, EMC, RoHS, and GPSD REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
D How do I show compliance to RoHS, REACH and Conflict Minerals? REACH and RoHS Conversations 6
J RoHS, WEEE and REACH Consulting Expertise Needed REACH and RoHS Conversations 4
P Necessary Compliance Documentation for RoHS and REACH REACH and RoHS Conversations 5
Q Guidance regarding Legally Refurbishing a Non-RoHS Instrument in the EU REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
M ROHS & REACH in TEFLON Material - NABL Testing Laboratories REACH and RoHS Conversations 1
S Sell a Non-RoHS device, manufactured before RoHs regulations became effective? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
Q EU ROHS and GUI Usability Trial Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M RoHS Directive - Supplier Compliance - Declaration of Conformance CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 12
dubrizo Who handles Your Reach, RoHS, 3TG Compliance RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
smryan Compliance Officer Outsourcing? RoHS, REACH, ELV, GADSL, IECSC Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 5
B RoHS Directive 2014/5/EU Leaded Solder Exemption RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
bio_subbu Official Journal of EU published two new RoHS Exemptions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A RoHS compliance - Our market is non EU countries only ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Will A Few Failed Solder Joints Make Me RoHS Non Compliant? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
L IOS-MAT-0010 vs REACH/ROHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
P Must all parts of a product be RoHS compliant? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
N RoHS Compliance requirement for Hexavalent Chromium RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
R RoHS Compliance Problem with One Component RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
J RoHS Components with Lead Exemptions (Capacitors on a PCB) RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 11
B Query on Medical Device Electronics RoHS Certificate Statement RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
R RoHS Medical Devices: Application to Accessories, Components and Non-EE parts CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 10
M Finding a hardware supplier/distributor compliant with RoHS RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
D ROHS 2 - Medical Device: Placing vs Making Available on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 3
R RoHS and placing on the market in Non EU countries RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 3
SteveK RoHS Conformity Risk Assessment - Medical Devices RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 2
SteveK RoHS Directive 2011/65/EU Revision ? Medical Devices - 22nd July 2014 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 30
J RoHS-Non RoHS Multifunctional Workbench RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
M RoHS CE Mark - Medical Devices built for US before 22 July 2014 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L What needs to be done to prove compliance with RoHS and WEEE EU Medical Device Regulations 5
A Start Compliance to RoHS, SCHV and REACH RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 10
S What needs to be done to demonstrate RoHS compliance for Medical Devices? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 6
A ROHS and CE Mark - Requirements for a Class IIa Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M RoHS for Disposable Medical Device Assemblies RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
somashekar Where does RoHS stuff get audited by CB's? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3