Role of ISO 9004:2000 - Not Intended As Guidance For Compliance With ISO 9001

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Subject: ISO Committee Draft 2 9001:2000 RE14
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 1999 16:24:48 -0400 (EDT)
Subject: ISO Committee Draft 2 9001:2000

If you read the Foreword to the CD2 of ISO 9004:2000, it tells you that it "gives guidance on all aspects of a quality management system, to improve an organization's overall performance, while ISO 9001 addresses the quality management system requirements for an organization to demonstrate its capability to meet customer requirements. ISO 9004 IS NOT INTENDED AS GUIDANCE FOR COMPLIANCE WITH ISO 9001." (Capitalization by me)

Patricia Hartman
Member, US TAG to TC 176

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

John C

Nice to get some good news this bright Friday morning; “ISO 9004:2000 is not intended as guidance for compliance with ISO 9001”. It just shows the value of reading the small print. - Thanks to Patricia and to Mark for the information.
In ISO 9002:1994 , Annex A lists guidelines and carries the word (informative) in brackets. That, for me, meant that I didn’t have to buy them - we are registered to a standard, not to a guideline. Now, someone in ISO has spelled it out for us (should I say someone in a TC?) and that removes any concerns I had about possible disagreements with registrars, or having my future clients wondering why I know nothing about something so "obviously essential to their future".
I've expressed my opposition often enough to guidelines and guidelines to guidelines and interpretation in any form, so I don't want to get into all that again. Let's just say that it's nice to see it in print that the guideline is just an expensive training document.
(I made a list of guidelines that appeared relevant and costed them with NSAI. I've forgotten the figure but I believe it was on the wrong side of $400 - we'd do a lot better at the local library.)
John C

D

Don Winton

In ISO 9002:1994 , Annex A lists guidelines and carries the word (informative) in brackets...
Agreed, John. I have always seen these document as guidance, also. It gets under my skin when there are those that try to cite a guidance document as a compliance requirement. Guidance means just that, guidance. It is nice that the new standard spells this out, assuming it stays intact in the final document.

Regards,
Don

L

Lassitude

The kind QS folks have succeeded pretty well in taking former 'guidance' documents like the APQP and MSA manuals and made them auditable to a large degree. I look to more of the same in the iso world.

R

Roger Eastin

Lassitude - I am not sure I follow you on this one. Do you mean you expect ISO auditors to audit to the ISO9004 document eventually?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
The MSA and APQP 'requirements' are, like QS-9000, customer requirements. I don't see this as an issue with ISO9004.

How about you folks? What's the role of ISO9004:2000?

Q

Qualiman

I am trying to understand that big amount of info in the consistent pair.
Could be that being the 9001 the Requirements, the role of 9004 be a help to improve or going deeper in the application of 9001 ?. If you see , the 8 TQM principles are in the very first part of 9004 and it appears to be a copy (enhanced/zoomed) of 9001.
On the other hand I can't understand why the SC2 titled 9004 as "Guidance for performance improvement", mentioned in several pages the term "guidance", however in the third paragraph of 1 Scope establishes" This International Standard is not a guideline for implementing ISO 9001, and is not intended for certification, regulatory or contractual use"....???? Hence IT IS a GUIDE.Don't you agree ?
I would like to know another points of view from you folks

Nice to be here

Qualiman

W

wajnberg

Everything that I´ve been reading so far leaves no no doubt that 9004:2000 has been written to give guidance on the improvement of a quality management system to improve the overall performance of an organization. It is not a guideline for implementing ISO 9001:2000 and is not intended for certification or contractual use. This is very clear to me.

A

Alan Cotterell

I believe ISO9004 is intended for guidance only, however this does not mean it can be disregarded. It is my perception that with the previous version of ISO9001, there has been a continuance of a compliance approach to management 'what do we have to do?'. This means a minimalist approach or even just paying 'lip service' to ISO9000 in many cases.
I believe the intention of ISO9000 is that a documented management system should be in place to suit the organisation's needs (not primarily to facilitate certification), this system should be subject to 'continual improvement'.
If you need an objective, I suggest it should be to move up the 'maturity model of organisations', to the optimised level.
THE MATURITY MODEL OF ORGANISATIONS:
Initial (chaos)
Managed
Planned
Integrated
Optimised

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Paul Simpson Informational The role of Annex SL - High Level Structure of ISO MSS's - Revision Update February 2019 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
T Person in charge's role or responsibility in ISMS? ISO 27001 IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 3
I The Role of Managers and Employees deployment of ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Raffy The Role of the Process Audit in ISO 9000 Internal Audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 22
L Implementing the PRRC role in a company EU Medical Device Regulations 5
C NB approval - Basic question about Notified Bodies and their role EU Medical Device Regulations 10
B What is the role of Quality Engineer in APQP and PPAP APQP and PPAP 3
R Role of quality compliance in SAP Software Quality Assurance 2
Z Role of economic operators (EO) post the EU MDR Date of application in May 2020 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
T New role Quality Manager IATF 16949, new company, advise how to get started IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Sidney Vianna Informational The role of the quality professional - an interesting video by CQI Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
A Audit purpose - case study - What is the role of SQE in such case? General Auditing Discussions 3
M Informational Webinar: The role of the TGA in digital health Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
A Leadership Role in Designing QMS - Upper Management Support Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 16
H Clinical investigation - Role of Notified Body (NB) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
B Interview Presentation for Quality Engineer Role Next Week! Career and Occupation Discussions 21
Edward Reesor Role of increased regulatory costs in increasing risk ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
supadrai Forced into Regulatory Affairs Role - Where do I begin? Career and Occupation Discussions 4
Kronos147 Quality Manager's Role in AS9100 Rev. D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
D Document approvers by role or by name Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
C Role of Breast Tissue Expander in Breast Reconstruction process. Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 0
G Role of Remote Locations IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
K New Quality Manager Role Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
R Registrars offering to perform Second Party Audits - Have they failed their role? Registrars and Notified Bodies 105
G Quality/Regulatory role in Automotive industry Career and Occupation Discussions 1
K What is Quality's and Engineering's role within FAI's AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
S Process Owner role in Problem Investigation/Corrective Action Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
R Role of Contract Manufacturer - MDRs (Medical Device Reporting) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
K What is the role of the Six Sigma Black Belt? Six Sigma 9
J Quality Manager's role in Customer and Supplier Complaints Customer Complaints 10
R Role of Product Development in OSHAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
V Interviews - How to differentiate your deliverable/role for potentially being hired Career and Occupation Discussions 9
N Role of Quality Function in Approving Work Instructions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
K The Role of Management and Human Resources Training Courses Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
D Designing a Training Course called "Role of the Laboratory Quality Manager" Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
S What is the role of "Reviewer" and "Approver" in the preparation of procedures? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 9
sagai Role and Use of Non QMS Standards and Guidances in the Medical Industry 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 17
L QMS for Service Company - Top Management wants to take the role of QMR Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
K Equivalent role of QP (Qualified Person) in FDA Regulations Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 8
O Which role plays Inverse cdf of a Standard Normal Distribution in Formula for Z-Bench Using Minitab Software 8
R Role of Qualified Person (QP) in Contract Manufacturing Pharma Business Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 2
V Best way to represent "Role Clarity" Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
V Defining Quality Assurance's Role in R&D (Product and Process Development) Design and Development of Products and Processes 11
C At what stage does Design Control play a role in Medical Device Development ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K The role of mid level managers in a Quality System Manufacturing and Related Processes 9
P Role of Quality within an Organization Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
P Quality Engineer's Role in Tracking MRT Metrics & PDT Metrics Customer Complaints 2
P Quality Engineer's Role in Cost Management (including UMC) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
C Role and Benefits of PIC/S (Pharmaceutical Inspection Cooperation Scheme) Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
D QA's Role in the Overall Picture of the Organization and in Day to Day Activities Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10