Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Loss - Can you measure in PPM?

H
I would like to get some feedback on whether you can use ppm to calculate Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Loss instead of %. I am not asking for how to convert RTYL% to PPM but I am more interested from a process stand point. Would you calculate Throughput Yield (TY) for each process, calculate RTY then RTY Loss (1-RTY) then convert to ppm. Or is there another way to capture that? Is there a risk of making this a ppm measure? can the numbers be misleading ? Thank you in advance !!!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Tim Folkerts

Super Moderator
To me, any measure will work as long as it is understood by the people who use it. If you make 300 parts and one is bad, you can call that
* 0.33% defective
* 3300 ppm defective
* 1:300 defective
* 99.67% RTY
* 0.0033 probability of defective

Mathematically, they are all the same.

You could also use "standard" conversions and find a Sigma level or a Cpk number, although these calculations can be misleading, since they are typically based on idealizations like a normal distributions.

Tim F

Last edited:
P

potdar

I would like to get some feedback on whether you can use ppm to calculate Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Loss instead of %. I am not asking for how to convert RTYL% to PPM but I am more interested from a process stand point. Would you calculate Throughput Yield (TY) for each process, calculate RTY then RTY Loss (1-RTY) then convert to ppm. Or is there another way to capture that? Is there a risk of making this a ppm measure? can the numbers be misleading ? Thank you in advance !!!
Anything can be measured in ppm. But if you want to evaluate it as a six sigma measure, first ensure that your process, as measured by your measure is 'under control'. THAT will tell you whether your measure is proper or misleading.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
technically, RTY and ppm can be related. but remember that there can be multiple defects per unit. and of course one must consider if the OP has scrap or all units can be reworked...

how about just calculating the 2 metrics independently?

I guess I would want to know why you want to relate the two? what benefit is there?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Is throughput yield the same as FPY or FTY? Rolled Throughput Yield Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) applies to different industries Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
F Rolled Throughput Yield and Confidence Interval Six Sigma 3
E Normalized vs. Rolled Throughput Yield - First Pass Yield metrics for our processes Manufacturing and Related Processes 16
N Definition TDU (Total Defects per Unit) and RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) Definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 5
S RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) - Use Poisson Distribution Calculation Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
H Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Calculations for a Sequential Process Six Sigma 2
B How to define and Calculate the DPU, DPMU, DPMO, Yield, Rolled Throughput Yield (RTY) Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
R Rolled Throughput Yield - Is anyone using this metric, and if so, how Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 6
S DPMO (Defects Per Million Opportunities) vs. RTY (Rolled-Throughput-Yield) Six Sigma 7
L RTY (Rolled Throughput Yield) Calculation Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 4
Bev D World Class Rolled Throughput Yields - 2012 Six Sigma 1
J SST .625 dia Cold Rolled 303 bar and Magnetism Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
L Wearing an ESD Smock with Rolled Up Sleeves Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
R How to determine the Thickness tolerance of the Cold Rolled Steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B Hot Rolled Steel Coil Rust Prevention Tests Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
P Trying to figure Minor ? on Female Rolled Threads Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
G How do I calculate PPM from a Rolled Wire Suppllier Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 3
A Ovality and Flatness generated after Heat Treatment of Rolled Rings Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Herringbone Defect Condition in Rolled Steel Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
F Technical question - U-BOLT microscopic cracks on the tooth of the rolled thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 14
C Standard for surface roughness on hot rolled steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J How to Define Scrap Metrics & Objectives - Stamped Cold Rolled Steel Fasteners ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
E NCR (Nonconformance Report) for device defects - Hot rolled coils Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
K Resistance welding process - Cold rolled and some zinc plated welding Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 2
K Resistance Welder Settings for cold rolled and galvanized steel Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
apestate Tolerances for cold rolled, hot rolled, DOM tubing Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
D Flatness tolerances for tempered cold rolled stainless steel coils Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Definition Throughput - Definition and Calculation Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
L Definition Throughput Yield (TPY) or First Pass Yield Calculation - Help Needed Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 3
F Throughput time measurement Cpk summary Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
B Calculating Throughput Yield or Yield Six Sigma 10
P How Do I Measure Productivity? Throughput yield? OEE measures? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
E 21 CFR 211.103 Calculation of Yield Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 5
R Yield Plot for different groupings Using Minitab Software 3
N Accurate calculations of First Time Quality / First Time Yield Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
F Yield reaction higher than 100% Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
Q Validation of Predictive Models of Yield Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 19
B Machine Shop Yield and Cost - Productivity, Yield and Absorption Performance Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
T First Pass Yield - Welding Process Improvement Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B How to begin tracking FPY (First Pass Yield) and "Downtime" tracking Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Calculation of First Pass Yield (FPY) Six Sigma 9
V Monitoring Specific Reasons and Categories of Yield Loss of Online Rejects ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
D Defining Yield Rate Targets for different Manufacturing Processes APQP and PPAP 2
R First Pass Yield - Am I doing correct the First Pass Yield Metric Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
S How to Calculate Overall FPY (First Pass Yield) Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 2
F First Pass Yield Helped Requested Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
Q Machine Shop Yield & Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
M Correlation between 2 Variables - Potential X's that might affect yield percentage Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5