Romer Arm - Profile of a Surface Changing

Hello,
Thanks for all future help with this question.

I have a Romer Arm and I am using Polyworks as my inspection software.
The problem I am getting is after I scan the entire part and start to get my dimensions...
I got my Profile of a Surface of 1 edge...And it is at about 3mm.
I then got my true positions of the holes that are on that same plane, and those four holes are at 2.5mm, 3.2mm, 3.3mm...
Then when I go back to my Profile of a Surface of that same edge, the dimension changed to 4.1mm.

Why is this profile of a surface dimension changing after I find my true Positions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
I get that....But the profile is 1 dimension, and after I get the position, the profile is changing...I feel that the profile dimension should stay where it is at even after I get my True Position of the holes on that plane, right?

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator
I get that....But the profile is 1 dimension, and after I get the position, the profile is changing...I feel that the profile dimension should stay where it is at even after I get my True Position of the holes on that plane, right?
Can you post a (partial) drawing??

Hello, always when you finish scanning, and before measuring, you must align in best fit, if any element is needed to align as the drawing indicates, the piece will be readjusted against the true alignment that the drawing asks for, that would be the result,

Note: if you move parameter setting to the elements you use to alienate
circles, planes, cylinders, the profile you measure will change every time,

regards,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N SPC and Process Capability Using a Romer Arm Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
E Question on the Reliability of the Faroarm vs. Romer Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 10
D Is anyone currently using a portable CMMs (e.g. Faro, Romer, etc.)? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
K RAPS RAC - Resources to prep for the RAC exam that don't cost an arm and a leg Professional Certifications and Degrees 3
J Powdercoating Capability Employing a Robotic Arm Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K "Verification of Calibration" - CMM arm General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
S Stated Accuracy of Portable CMM Arm and Real World Use Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
J Trying to determine whether a steel plate is bowed with a Faro Arm Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 8
C Faro Platinum Arm Rental in Ohio - Immediate need Service Industry Specific Topics 3
C Taking an Exclusion to 7.2? Manufacturing arm is in China ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 23
D CMM vs. Measuring Arm for both Large and Small Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 26
M Arm Twisting by CB (Certification Body) Registrars and Notified Bodies 10
P FARO Arm & Laser Tracker - Anyone with experience? Software question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
W Certification body has a consultancy arm - Also this CB is not listed in IATF list Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
I Lifetime Support Calculation - Thermal Operating Profile Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
M How to verify profile gages provided by customer General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
E Department Plan for QA and HSE (profile, plans, structure, goals, etc.) Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
G Gear Profile & Lead Report Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Reporting Profile of a surface with U modifier Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
B Profile of a Surface Callout on this Drawing General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
O Can a Profile of a Surface have a Diameter Symbol? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R Temperature Profile for Transport Simulation (Sterile Eye Drops) Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
P Profile Tolerance and CPK Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
K Can a Surface of a profile be applied to a feature of size? GD&T questions Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
quality1 Form IPC 1720A Assembly Qualification Profile still required? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
J Profile of Surface with Basics and Angle Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 10
B Requirement to have Customer Signature Profile on File Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
T CMM Inspection of Profile Tolerance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
M Measuring a circle's profile Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Complex Surface Profile as a datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
D Profile of a Line of a radius of 25mm basic dimension - Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Surface Profile and True Position Question Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
R Capability for CMM Scanned Profiles on a feature with a Bilateral Profile Tolerance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 26
C Inspecting a Profile Tolerance for a Die Cut Gasket Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Profile of a Surface Tolerance - Part with a 195 mm radius on it Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
S Surface Profile of a Hole - The meaning of the tolerance in the provided drawing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
AnaMariaVR2 A Profile of the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Industry: Russia Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
B Surface Profile Callouts - How the profiles are being dimensioned Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
C I need to verify the surface profile of a part - Sine plates General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
optomist1 Contour vs. Profile - Is there a connection between "Contour" & "Profile"? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 12
optomist1 Composite Profile Tolerancing Clarification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
optomist1 ASME GD&T Certification Test - Converting Coordinate Tolerances to Profile Tolerances Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
optomist1 Profile of a Surface - Applying Profile of a Surface Geometric Control Symbols Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
A Customer Profiles - Creating a Customer 'Profile' for our Top 10 Customers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
B Measuring the Profile of a Surface Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 19
C Reporting Profile of a Surface Results on an Internal Cylindrical Feature Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J Reputable Third Party Inspection (Metrology Lab) In USA? Cam Profile Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
P ISO 20072 Requirements - Example or template of a DFP (device functionality profile) Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
O How to report Profile of a Sphere crossed by a Hole Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 31
A Capability Studies for Profile (GD&T Callout) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6