Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task?

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I have a situation where I was auditing an internal team that was supposed to audit their work monthly. It seems that the manager responsible (no longer with the company) simply stopped doing it about 6 months before leaving. It's obviously an audit finding, but what's the root cause when someone simply stopped doing their job... and they're no longer available to explain why?

Thoughts?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

William55401

Quite Involved in Discussions
Think about root cause 2 ways. 1. What was the cause of the defect? 2. Why was the defect not detected? You may not find the answer to the first question. The second question involves asking the former manager's + 1.

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
I have a situation where I was auditing an internal team that was supposed to audit their work monthly. It seems that the manager responsible (no longer with the company) simply stopped doing it about 6 months before leaving. It's obviously an audit finding, but what's the root cause when someone simply stopped doing their job... and they're no longer available to explain why?

Thoughts?
I have more questions than answers.
Why did it take more than 6 months to discover this? Why was he "auditing" their work monthly? Did he issue reports on the result of his "audit"? How did his neglect affect the results of the process? Maybe it was not necessary.

I can speculate on why he stopped. He was planning to leave.

ISO_Man

Involved In Discussions
I have more questions than answers.
Why did it take more than 6 months to discover this? Why was he "auditing" their work monthly? Did he issue reports on the result of his "audit"? How did his neglect affect the results of the process? Maybe it was not necessary.

I can speculate on why he stopped. He was planning to leave.
thanks but I need to write a realistic RCA and "I don't know why he stopped" doesn't do the trick.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Nobody should be doing RCA for the sake of doing RCA. RCA is just one step towards the real goal of preventing recurrence. If the "self audit" activity is really important, the monthly results should be mandatorily shared with his/her line manager. The problem would have been uncovered after 1 month and not 6 months later. On the other hand, this exercise may have shown that the self audits were totally useless, by the simple fact they were not performed/reported for half a year and nobody noticed.....:naughty:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
The root cause of him stopping is likely unknown and unknowable, all you could do is speculate, so say so. The contributing cause of no one noticing you may have more luck with.

Tagin

Thoughts?
It might be helpful to rephrase this in terms of process: what is the root cause when this process simply stops being performed?

This gets us out of the realm of psychology and blame, and into the realm of systems and processes.

From a PDCA perspective, it seems clear (as has already been pointed out) that Check (monitoring/measuring) was probably missing or inadequate, and/or perhaps, whatever process was supposed to be monitoring these audit results did not Act once they realized they were no longer receiving the audit results. (Again, as has been pointed out, maybe they didn't act because the info was pointless to being with, and so they were fine with its absence, but that's (mostly) psychology and not process.) Looking into the 'whys' for whichever (or both) of those proximal cause(s) would be the next step in my RCA.

Last edited:

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Root cause = "unknown, we speculate negligence by a disgruntled employee no longer at the company."

Now go fix the problem...that's the important part...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B NADCAP Rejection Response to Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action. Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Q IATF audit - Root Cause Analysis results IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
T Tactics for Root Cause Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
S Root cause analysis - The system of developing a work instruction is not effective Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
I What if your root cause analysis is -- they just didn't do it?" Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Loss of Personnel - Root Cause Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Q Risk Tools in ISO 31010 - Root Cause Analysis vs. Cause-and-effect Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
W Root Cause Analysis Requirements per TS 16949:2009 Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
J Required on-site training on writing deviations & root-cause analysis Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
D Root Cause Analysis done on the wrong observation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
I What's special about your RCAs (Root Cause Analysis)? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
K Quality Manual Problem Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
E Using Facebook to discuss Root Cause Analysis (8D) ! Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
F Need advise on Root Cause analysis for printing issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
P Is it necessary to perform Root Cause Analysis for each failed part? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 16
B Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Action Program for Inventory Inaccuracies Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
R Root Cause Analysis of Audit Findings - New Quality Manager Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 20
A Recommend good Root Cause Analysis Training Courses in the UK Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
J Nadcap finding Inadequate Procedure and Inadequate Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
B Root Cause Analysis for Minor Non-Conformities identified in an Audit Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
S Root Cause Analysis of Motor Performance Failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
R Triggering Root Cause Analysis for Hardware Returns Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Fender1 Corrective Action and Root Cause Analysis for a Missing Assembly Part ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
D Root Cause Analysis and "Comprehensive List of Causes" Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
P Which Root Cause Analysis Method is the most Effective? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 16
K Complex Cause Root Cause Analysis Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 3
P Smart or Sexy (CAR) - Poor Root Cause Analysis and Poor Effectiveness Check Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
Moncia How to do a Root Cause Failure Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
R Assembling a Cross Functional Root Cause Analysis Team Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
T Lollipop Production Line Problems - Defectives and Root Cause Analysis Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 6
K Do all Customer Complaints require Root Cause Analysis? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
K Incident Investigation vs. Root Cause Analysis ? What?s the difference? Customer Complaints 16
Anerol C Root Cause Analysis Coding System Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
J Root Cause Analysis in a ISO 17025 Testing Laboratory ISO 17025 related Discussions 6
M Root Cause Analysis and Personal Blame ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
S Noneffective Root Cause Analysis: 6M Fish-Bone Template Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
L Root Cause Analysis Training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 12
W What can be Root Cause Analysis Methodology - Heat Treatment of Carbon-based Products Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
Z Root Cause Failure Analysis for NADCAP AMS2750D Audit Finding help wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Root Cause Analysis & Cause and Effect Diagram Customer Complaints 5
J Root Cause Failure Analysis of a Shipping Error Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 37
S Root Cause Analysis Taxonomy - Categorising the reasons for non-conformances ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
D Do all Non Conformance Reports need a detailed Root Cause Analysis? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
D Root Cause Analysis (Medical Devices) - Management Support Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 14
F Root Cause Analysis Problem Case Study for Exercise? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10