Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification

Hi All,

Recently we received a complaint from our medical device customer that product was not packaged per customer specification. Our experienced staff that usually work on this process were on annual leave this day so we trained additional staff on the day (Which was rushed due to meeting due dates) before packing the product. In addition the error in packaging was not picked up at final inspection. I am now completing the CAR Investigation, RCA but I am unsure how to go about completing my 5WHYS. It would be very helpful if someone could guide me on each step of the 5Whys for this type of investigation.

Your expertise would be greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
You already have a good start!
Why was the training rushed?
Why was the training ineffective?
Why were the errors not picked up in final inspection?

There's no real secret formula with the 5-why approach. There's no rule for using exactly 5 whys - more or less may be needed. Keep asking why until something is revealed (root cause) that, if you fix that, the problem won't occur again. And remember there's no rule that only 1 root cause exists - may well be more. Your questioning may take you down multiple paths. Any of the above questions may result in unique causes.

Also, there are other problem solving tools (fishbone, FTA, etc.) that you may find are more intuitive to use.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
I'd do something like:
  • Why customer received incorrectly packaged product?
    • Packaged incorrectly by staff
      • Why?
        • Staff didn't follow packaging procedure
          • Why?
            • Staff lacked experience
              • Why?
                • Training inadequate, etc.
            • Or...perhaps staff knew but ignored procedure
            • etc.
    • Incorrect packaging not detected in final inspection
      • Why?

Edit: Also, I sometimes find that the question "why?" is implicitly taken as something like "why didn't this work as expected?", which can be unhelpful since a gazillion things might cause some process not work, so one's mind just gets lost in all the possibilities. Instead, sometimes I find it helpful to as ask instead "what had to happen for this occur exactly as it did?" That is, frame it in the positive instead of the negative. This way one's mind tends to hone in on just the things that made it exactly that way. I hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
I would also include a 'why' that looks at why the experienced staff were all off on annual leave at the same time...and, if this is a regular or accepted practice, why was effective and meaningful training not provided in time? Annual leave doesn't usually sneak up on an organization so, at first glance, I don't buy the "rushed due to due dates" answer.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
There needs to be an effort to identify tribal knowledge and create contingency plans. I think I've told the story here before about a place where I worked that ran out of welding gas one day. It turned out that somehow, at some indefinite time in the past, a manufacturing engineer had taken over ordering the gas, and only a few people knew it. The gas was always there when needed. He abruptly left the company and orders weren't placed.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
FWIW, if this investigation is to be shared with the customer...consider the last "Why", and the corrective action to be implemented in light of whether or not the customer will be pleased with it.

You know what went wrong and why...it's in your post. This is all about preventing recurrence (internal) and assuring the customer (external). Pay attention to both in the single "5-why".

Always make sure that your root cause analysis lead you to a tangible corrective action.
I work in a company that its HQ is outside the US and hence we can't simply do every single logical CA that I used to do in other companies. HQ is chocking us when it comes to update corporate POS, for instance.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Remember to address the systemic cause, which may be the lack of cross-training for critical duties.

Randy

Super Moderator
If you end up pointing to people, re-visit your 5 why's. Asking the incorrect Why can make you at fault or even the Easter Bunny

Point to people you lay blame, point to process you find fault...Look for breakdown in process!

outdoorsNW

Quite Involved in Discussions
People need to use their training, so a good cross training program has the alternates doing the work periodically, such as once a week or once a month.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
S Root Cause Analysis of Motor Performance Failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Moncia How to do a Root Cause Failure Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
Z Root Cause Failure Analysis for NADCAP AMS2750D Audit Finding help wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
J Root Cause Failure Analysis of a Shipping Error Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 37
R Induction Coil Open Circuit Failure Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
Marc --> Related Forum - Root Cause and Failure Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 0
Marc --> Related Forum - Root Cause and Failure Analysis Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 0
K Failure (root cause) codes for service reporting Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
U Failure of Root Cause Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 17
Q Failure where the Root Cause was the Material Handler Not Following Procedure Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 20
S Root Cause Analysis and/or Failure Investigation Training Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
E Failure Investigation/Root Cause Procedure Examples Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
C Training for RCA - Root Cause Failure Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
C Root Cause Failure Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
A Root Cause Failure Analysis - Educate Me: What Is Root Cause Analysis? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
W Misinterpretation of requirement acceptable as root cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
qualprod Always one root cause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
G Working on a Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Neglect or legitimate deferral? Is excessive workload or lack of resources in a department or a team a valid root cause for a non-conformance? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Root cause analysis - The system of developing a work instruction is not effective Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
I What if your root cause analysis is -- they just didn't do it?" Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
A Interesting Discussion Human Factors as Root Cause AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
D Root Cause on Non-Conformity Against Quality Manual Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Loss of Personnel - Root Cause Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K What is supposed to happen when a CA cannot be closed out or the root cause... General Auditing Discussions 1
T Human Error vs Technique Root Cause (Categories) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
Q Several Nonconformances with same Root Cause with just one CA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
D Customer Audit - Root Cause Help - ISO 9001:2008 Cl. 7.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Risk Tools in ISO 31010 - Root Cause Analysis vs. Cause-and-effect Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
N Root Cause Challenge: The guy at the top ... Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
V Root Cause help needed - Sheet metal breaking at press Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
W Root Cause Analysis Requirements per TS 16949:2009 Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
S Preparing a Root Cause Report - Possible Root Causes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Required on-site training on writing deviations & root-cause analysis Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
P Is it a rule to fill in all the 5 why in order to get the actual root cause? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Root Cause Analysis done on the wrong observation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
H Root Cause Corrective Action Examples Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
I What's special about your RCAs (Root Cause Analysis)? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11