Root Cause Failure Analysis of a Shipping Error

J Allen

Involved In Discussions
The wrong part was shipped to the Customer. As a result we missed our shipping dealine for required due date. I initiated CA request to shipping and this is what I got:
Cause of Defect: Wrong Parts pulled from Inventory. Why?
Part Number was not matched to pick ticket.
Why Defect was not detected:Shipping clerk did not match Part number with shipper and Certs.
Corrective Action: Inventory and shipping clerks were given a review in procedures to insure diligence in receiving product and preparing part for shipment. Supervisor will monitor for the next month to ensure procedures are followed.
I kicked back the response because it did not address why the inventory clerk pulled the wrong part. I asked if the paperwork was clear, were numbers transposed, was the clerk just careless,....?
I am being told that I am being too "picky" and this is no "big" deal.
Am I? I have to respond to the customer because of this. What could be the real root cause if the paperwork is correct?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
T

tomvehoski

Re: Root Cause shipping Error

It is somewhat weak, but it is one of those human error problems that can't be resolved easliy without beefing up your verification system.

I see the root cause as: A. Human error - pulled the wrong part. B. No process (or process not followed) to verify that the correct part was pulled. If the process was not followed, it must not be a very robust process to go undetected (such as someone double checking that it is actually PN00010000 and not PN 00001000).

It may or may not be a big deal - that is up to your customer, and you. How often does this happen? Did you just shut down your cutomer's 5000 employee plant? Are you losing 25% of your business because of it?

The more important part is the preventive action. Are you prepared to put barcode scanners or other error proofing methods into place to ensure this can't happen again? Is that worth the return on investment? Are issues in your other systems costing you $1million per day while this ended up costing $100?

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions

If the reply stated that the clerk simply failed to follow procedure because he didn't want to , would that have made it acceptable?
We frequently encounter employees simply bypassing and refusing to follow procedures, either they have a chip on the shoulder, a bad day, or plan on leaving shortly. Getting further into 5Y often turns up things that are not easily fixable,like culture, morale, pride in work, and such. Response requirement times usually make corrective actions of deep seated problems not an option. I'm lucky if I have 10 days to respond with an analysis and a corrective action.

Stijloor

Staff member
Super Moderator

The wrong part was shipped to the Customer. As a result we missed our shipping deadline for required due date. I initiated CA request to shipping and this is what I got:
Cause of Defect: Wrong Parts pulled from Inventory. Why?
Part Number was not matched to pick ticket.
Why Defect was not detected:Shipping clerk did not match Part number with shipper and Certs.
Corrective Action: Inventory and shipping clerks were given a review in procedures to insure diligence in receiving product and preparing part for shipment. Supervisor will monitor for the next month to ensure procedures are followed.
I kicked back the response because it did not address why the inventory clerk pulled the wrong part. I asked if the paperwork was clear, were numbers transposed, was the clerk just careless,....?
I am being told that I am being too "picky" and this is no "big" deal.
Am I? I have to respond to the customer because of this. What could be the real root cause if the paperwork is correct?
The problem with the "Five-Why" technique is the erroneous assumption that there is only one response to the question "Why?" Usually, there are many more possible outcomes. So, if performed correctly, a Five-Why tree develops. Study the tree. A pattern (a more frequently mentioned possible root-cause) may become visible. Competent users of this technique will also validate selected root causes. Yes folks, there is a lot more to a correctly applied "Five-Why" technique than meets the eye!!

Stijloor.

J Allen

Involved In Discussions

I'm new to this company, but I have been told that this is a recurring problem. the scuttlebutt is that the no one has really enforced cause/corrective actions and almost any response was accepted. I'm trying to change the culture but I'm having difficulty with managers who say the last guy always told them what to say.
It would not be cost effective to have bar codes and scanners. I just want the people to pay attention to what they are doing.

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin

If the reply stated that the clerk simply failed to follow procedure because he didn't want to , would that have made it acceptable?
We frequently encounter employees simply bypassing and refusing to follow procedures, either they have a chip on the shoulder, a bad day, or plan on leaving shortly. <snip>
No, oh, no. Please tell me that this isn't really happening... :mg: I'd freak out if someone told me that.

T

tomvehoski

I'm new to this company, but I have been told that this is a recurring problem. the scuttlebutt is that the no one has really enforced cause/corrective actions and almost any response was accepted. I'm trying to change the culture but I'm having difficulty with managers who say the last guy always told them what to say.
If that is the case they probably need training in effective root cause analysis and corrective action. At a minimum they need guidance, so perhaps you could work with them on completing the CA instead of just assigning it to someone.

It would not be cost effective to have bar codes and scanners. I just want the people to pay attention to what they are doing.
Be careful there. "Pay attention to what you are doing" for preventive action is about as weak as "shipping clerk messed up" for root cause. If you have a culture where nothing will be done to fix a root cause, people will realize that finding the root cause is a pointless waste of time.

J Allen

Involved In Discussions

You are absolutely correct regarding "pay attention to what you are doing." I was just venting that if we all took a better attitude and pride in our work, many of these type of defects would be reduced. I don't want them to throw "dollars after pennies." I want them to make a reasonable effort to find out why? and fix it. After all, our 3rd party auditor will look at our compliance to AS9100 for CA.

Last edited:
T

tomvehoski

You are absolutely correct regarding "pay attention to what you are doing." I was just venting that if we all took a better attitude and pride in our work, many of these type of defects would be reduced. I don't want them to throw "dollars after pennies." I want them to make a reasonable effort to find out why? and fix it. After all, our 3rd party auditor will look at our compliance to AS9100 for CA.
Maybe. It is very possible that they have been down this road before and their preventive action was to change the labels, paperwork, use garanimals, barcodes, etc. but their suggestions were ignored. Unless it is an isolated instance, bad attitude and lack of pride usually have a root cause in the company culture.

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin

The problem with the "Five-Why" technique is the erroneous assumption that there is only one response to the question "Why?" Usually, there are many more possible outcomes. So, if performed correctly, a Five-Why tree develops. Study the tree. A pattern (a more frequently mentioned possible root-cause) may become visible. Competent users of this technique will also validate selected root causes. Yes folks, there is a lot more to a correctly applied "Five-Why" technique than meets the eye!!

Stijloor.
There's another problem with the "Why's" thing that's common to most CA systems. If we go strictly with the evidence at hand in this thread, it appears that the cause might be sitting in the big chair in the front office. If people are continually allowed (and perhaps encouraged) to follow the path of least resistance, that's what they'll do. It's a cultural issue, and unless the source of the problem decides it needs to be changed, messengers will continue to be shot.

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
S Root Cause Analysis of Motor Performance Failure Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
Moncia How to do a Root Cause Failure Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 72
Z Root Cause Failure Analysis for NADCAP AMS2750D Audit Finding help wanted AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
R Induction Coil Open Circuit Failure Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
Marc --> Related Forum - Root Cause and Failure Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 0
Marc --> Related Forum - Root Cause and Failure Analysis Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 0
K Failure (root cause) codes for service reporting Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
U Failure of Root Cause Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 17
Q Failure where the Root Cause was the Material Handler Not Following Procedure Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 20
S Root Cause Analysis and/or Failure Investigation Training Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
E Failure Investigation/Root Cause Procedure Examples Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 6
C Training for RCA - Root Cause Failure Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
C Root Cause Failure Analysis Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
A Root Cause Failure Analysis - Educate Me: What Is Root Cause Analysis? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 10
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
Q Always one root cause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
G Working on a Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Neglect or legitimate deferral? Is excessive workload or lack of resources in a department or a team a valid root cause for a non-conformance? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Root cause analysis - The system of developing a work instruction is not effective Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
I What if your root cause analysis is -- they just didn't do it?" Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
A Interesting Discussion Human Factors as Root Cause AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 13
D Root Cause on Non-Conformity Against Quality Manual Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 45
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Loss of Personnel - Root Cause Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K What is supposed to happen when a CA cannot be closed out or the root cause... General Auditing Discussions 1
T Human Error vs Technique Root Cause (Categories) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
Q Several Nonconformances with same Root Cause with just one CA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
D Customer Audit - Root Cause Help - ISO 9001:2008 Cl. 7.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
Q Risk Tools in ISO 31010 - Root Cause Analysis vs. Cause-and-effect Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
N Root Cause Challenge: The guy at the top ... Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
V Root Cause help needed - Sheet metal breaking at press Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
W Root Cause Analysis Requirements per TS 16949:2009 Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
S Preparing a Root Cause Report - Possible Root Causes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Required on-site training on writing deviations & root-cause analysis Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
P Is it a rule to fill in all the 5 why in order to get the actual root cause? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Root Cause Analysis done on the wrong observation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
H Root Cause Corrective Action Examples Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
I What's special about your RCAs (Root Cause Analysis)? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
R Root Cause for "Simple" External Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10