Root Cause help needed - Sheet metal breaking at press

vivkrish

Involved In Discussions
Dear friends.,,

Can anyone help me in below?

A spring type sheet metal gets broken while pressing. The same was plated with PFZn5 and heat treatment processed.

What will be the root cause.

What will be the effect in failure of each process(plating,heat treatment)

Thanx.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
Vivkrish, I split this post off from your previous thread and created its own thread because it's a separate issue from plastics. Hopefully it will get better attention on its own with a new thread title.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Good day Vivkrish,

When sheet metal fractures in the brake it is usually due to hardness/brittleness, or perhaps the gap of the jaws is too narrow. I am not familiar with the plating PFZn5 and wonder if the heat treatment was done before or after the plating?

I would look for temper following these treatments. Practical Machinist members describe this as a problem inherent with bending spring steel, though, and suggest annealing/hot bending. For more information, please read this article on Spring Steel Strip.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Dear friends.,,

Can anyone help me in below?

A spring type sheet metal gets broken while pressing. The same was plated with PFZn5 and heat treatment processed.

What will be the root cause.

What will be the effect in failure of each process(plating,heat treatment)

Thanx.
Can you duplicate the issue constantly. If yes, I would look at the material. If no, it might still be the material but you should look at the press itself, the operator, the process, and the previous processes.

We had a corrective action regarding marks in the part. It turned out to be occurring 2 steps before the place where the mark 'should' be happening, and no one said anything (yes, hair was pulled out that day:frust:).

Golfman25

You're exceeding the tensile strength of the material. Now ask yourself why? It will depend on how/what you are forming.

Now with spring steel, I would suggest using an annealed spring steel for all but the simplest forms and then hardening after the fact if needed. Give yourself a chance.

Ron Rompen

As soon as I saw that the parts were plated, my initial thought was hydrogen embrittlement - not sure if your plating process CAN cause this or not (I'm not familiar with that plating process) however it is something that you should be easily able to determine. How does your plater clean your parts prior to processing? And is there a bake process after plating to relieve the trapped hydrogen?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
all very good theories....which is correct? It might be obvious, but then why would the OP ask?

It might be as simple as determining what's wrong: is anything out of spec or obviously misprocessed?

We could ask what changed but this is often difficult to assess before we understand the causal mechanism as everything changes...and we rarely measure andrecord all of the input factors (material, process settings and conditions) to correlate to breaks. A better start is to ask what patterns exist? What is the rate? Is it all of the pieces or only some? Is there a time element to this breaking? Did it suddenly start, or has it 'always' been there at the current rate? Does it come and go, is what is the pattern: plot the data in time series it will tell you quite a bit.

We could ask what's different: is there any feature, dimension or property that is at one level for the parts that break and another level for the parts that don't break? Are there different material lots involved? Different operators? Different machines?

We could go fully functional: you are exceeding the strength of the material as Golfman says. But it it the material or the machine? Can you measure the strength of the material and the machine separately from each other?

A

AFGranda

If you have a recurrent non-conforming you need to utilize a problem solving tool such as DIVE - Define, Investigate, Verify, Ensure - or 8D. In both cases you need stats and a cross functional team to uncover the root cause and find a mistake-proof corrective action. In your particular case DOE could be useful in order to find the best solution.

vivkrish

Involved In Discussions
Dear kirley,

Hardness is within the spec. And the gap between jaws is narrow only, because that's my drawing requirement.

Heat treatment is done after plating.

In this phenomenon what way is right to do analysis.

Thanks.

Ron Rompen

Just to ensure that the sequence is correct, are parts heat treated and plated BEFORE bending?
Have you done (or had done) a microstructure analysis of a failed part?
Have you validated the raw material (incorrect alloying elements can cause premature failure understress)
Have you validated the hardness and the coating?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Customer Audit - Root Cause Help - ISO 9001:2008 Cl. 7.5.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
T Anyone help finding root cause like photos? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 5
Z Root Cause Failure Analysis for NADCAP AMS2750D Audit Finding help wanted AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
E ISO 9001 Certification Nonconformance Root Cause Help! ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 46
Q Can any one help me on RCA (Root Cause Analysis) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
W Misinterpretation of requirement acceptable as root cause? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 19
T Root Cause Failure Analysis - Not following Customer packaging Specification Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
D Root Cause for Missed Audits Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
qualprod Always one root cause? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 35
I Root Cause Analysis as Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
F Struggling with a root cause analysis - Customer Returns - Escape issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 15
G Working on a Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
I Root Cause Analysis when someone simply stops performing a task? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
C Neglect or legitimate deferral? Is excessive workload or lack of resources in a department or a team a valid root cause for a non-conformance? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 12
E CAR (Corrective Action Report) with questionable Root Cause ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
S Root cause analysis - The system of developing a work instruction is not effective Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 1
I What if your root cause analysis is -- they just didn't do it?" Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Ed Panek Root Cause CAPAs from internal audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 16
A Interesting Discussion Human Factors as Root Cause AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 13
D Root Cause on Non-Conformity Against Quality Manual Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
A CAR from 3rd party AS9100D auditor - Root cause dilemma AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 45
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
Q Loss of Personnel - Root Cause Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
P Root Cause for a Process Validation Batch Failure 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
H How to define Root Cause when some points are out of control chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
K What is supposed to happen when a CA cannot be closed out or the root cause... General Auditing Discussions 1
T Human Error vs Technique Root Cause (Categories) Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
Q Several Nonconformances with same Root Cause with just one CA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Q Risk Tools in ISO 31010 - Root Cause Analysis vs. Cause-and-effect Analysis ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
E Root Cause Analysis - Is Insufficient Understanding an acceptable Root Cause? General Auditing Discussions 9
N Root Cause Challenge: The guy at the top ... Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 4
W Root Cause Analysis Requirements per TS 16949:2009 Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 8
S Preparing a Root Cause Report - Possible Root Causes Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
J Required on-site training on writing deviations & root-cause analysis Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
P Is it a rule to fill in all the 5 why in order to get the actual root cause? Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
D Root Cause Analysis done on the wrong observation Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 9
H Root Cause Corrective Action Examples Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
I What's special about your RCAs (Root Cause Analysis)? Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 11
R Root Cause for "Simple" External Audit Findings ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
U-DOG Root Cause for a Form not having all info (traceability standard and the gage number) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
K Quality Manual Problem Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
J Root Cause Determination Training for Production Managers Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
E Using Facebook to discuss Root Cause Analysis (8D) ! Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
C Must we identify steps taken to identify the Root Cause of a failure Nonconformance and Corrective Action 15
F Need advise on Root Cause analysis for printing issue Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
S Can you suggest a Root Cause supporting Out of Specification Process AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
L Root Cause for Minor Non-conformance regarding Supplier Delegation Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
P What do you think is the most common root cause of NCRs in a construction project? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
V Examples of investigation or root-cause categories - Mother Nature (Environment) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 3
A Root Cause of Injection Part Chipped with AS (SAN) Material Manufacturing and Related Processes 3