Rounding Numbers - Adding numbers in Excel - I want the average

D

dbulak

I am adding numbers in Excel. I want the average, but Excel is rounding the numbers up to the next decimal. I have looked, but I just can't seem to find the fix. Anyone know what to do?
Thanks in advance.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Re: Rounding numbers

I am adding numbers in Excel. I want the average, but Excel is rounding the numbers up to the next decimal. I have looked, but I just can't seem to find the fix. Anyone know what to do?
Thanks in advance.

Highlight the cells in question, right-click and choose Format Cells. Click the Number tab and then choose the number of decimal places you want. Excel always stores numbers in full precision regardless of the number of decimal places displayed. For example, if .1234 is rounded to .12, .1234 is still used in calculations.

Last edited:
S

sjared

Re: Rounding numbers

Right click on the cell with the average value. Select Format Cells...which opens a dialog box. On the Number tab, select Number for the category type. There should be a box which allows you to select the number of decimal places to display for that cell.

D

Darius

In the Home menu, there is a Number section (normally at the upper-center of the display) where you can change the number of decimals or as is said in the other posts, change the "format" in the combobox on the Number section.

Attachments

• decimals.bmp
    139.4 KB · Views: 141
Top Bottom