Routine production tests - dielectric voltage withstand test

eldercosta

Starting to get Involved
I am using the Annex K of IEC TR 62354:2014 for guidance for production tests.

I want to have a normative base to subsidize the reduction of the time thatthe equipment tested in factory undergoes the tests to avoid unnecessary stress (see this topic).

Amongst other things, the Annex presents requirements regarding test equipment checking. On Annex K, K.1 e) we have the following requirement for the case the dielectric voltage withstand duration of one second.

e) The test equipment, when adjusted for production line testing, is to produce an output voltage that is not less than the factory test value specified, nor is the magnitude of the test voltage to be greater than 120% of the specified test potential when the tester is used in each of the following conditions:

1) If the test duration is 1s, the ouput is to be maintained within the specified range:
- when only a voltmeter having an input impedance of at least 2MOhms and a specimen of the product being tested are connected to the output terminals AND

-when a relatively high resistance is connected in parallel with the voltmeter and the product being tested, and the value of the resistance is gradually reduced to the point where an indication of unacceptable performance just occurs.
My question relates to the second dash. I am trying to devise how the test setup would be to meet this description. My understanding is I would have to put the variable resistance in parallel with a sample of the EUT, then applying the test a few times reducing the resistance until the hipot detects a fault, then increasing it a little and performing the hipot voltage measurement to verify it complies with the requirement.

The problem I could not find a variable resistor that would withstand 4kVac with the necessary resistance (let alone that could have it varied safely). Is there something off-the-shelf that I could use? TBH I thought of an electronic circuit that could do it but then it occurred to me that I could be reinventing the wheel, which I would like to avoid as much as possible. Also I could be overthinking and/or overcomplicating the test setup.

FWIW the 60s test is much simpler :
2) If the test duration is 1 min, the output voltage is to be maintained withihn the specified range, by manual or automatic means, throughout the 1 m duration of the test or until there is an indication of unacceptable performance.
Any suggestions?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Peter Selvey

Staff member
I think in practice it would involve two resistors set just above and below the trip point. For example, if the target is 0.5mA @ 1500Vrms, use 2.85MΩ for the trip resistor and 3.15MΩ for the no trip. This tests ±5% around the trip point which is more than enough.

The real tolerance would depend on your margin. For example, if the actual medical device has typically 0.1mA @ 1500V, and you set the trip point to 0.2mA just to steer clear, then the test could be done at ±10% or ±20% around the 0.2mA trip point and that would be fine from an engineering and safety point of view.

eldercosta

Starting to get Involved
Hello, Peter.

Thank you very much for your input. It makes much sense. TBH I was thinking of 4000Vrms, between mains and AP - one or the tests required by the Annex, the other being between primary and low voltage metal parts (a.k.a. secondary in my case) where 1500Vrms applies. I wonder if making this test with only 4000Vrms suffices.

In understood from your answer the EUT would not be connected. Did I get it right?

Peter Selvey

Staff member
Yes, I don't have the standard but I can guess the intent is just to check the trip point is working OK especially for a 1s test. For that the EUT should not be connected. Also it looks like a set up validation, i.e. not intended to be done every test. It might be reasonable to do it once a day at most.

eldercosta

Starting to get Involved
The first quote in my OP is verbatim, I just emphasized the "AND" at the end of the first dash.

e) The test equipment, when adjusted for production line testing, is to produce an output voltage that is not less than the factory test value specified, nor is the magnitude of the test voltage to be greater than 120% of the specified test potential when the tester is used in each of the following conditions:

1) If the test duration is 1s, the ouput is to be maintained within the specified range:
- when only a voltmeter having an input impedance of at least 2MOhms and a specimen of the product being tested are connected to the output terminals AND

-when a relatively high resistance is connected in parallel with the voltmeter and the product being tested, and the value of the resistance is gradually reduced to the point where an indication of unacceptable performance just occurs.
I agree the EUT shouldn't be connected for a matter of good sense as we do not want to compromise the product by ovestressing it - that is the point of the production tests not being exactly the same as the type tests.

The text of the second dash suggests otherwise to me, though. I do hope I am misinterpreting it.

What do you think?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Inspection and Detection - Kit to production - Need an inspection routine Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
N Heavy tare to simulate high load in a routine sensitivity test of a floor scale? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
M Routine testing of medical electrical systems - What specific electrical safety tests should be performed? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
N Referencing of a standard's year in routine regulatory compliance documents Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M Medical Device News FDA - Eliminating Routine FDA news 14-09-18 - Re-Review of Third Party 510(k) Reviews Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
S Routine Testing for Class I Medical Device IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 24
N ISO 11135 Monitoring Routine ETO Sterilisation Parameters Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
C Dose Mapping - How to relate back to Routine Monitoring Position ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
B Number of Biological Indicators for Routine Monitoring of ETO Sterilization Cycle Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 8
J FDA Routine Inspection Pre-Anouncement - What will be checked? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 7
M Identifying Routine and Non-Routine Activities: OSHA OHSAS 18001 Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
S How you define 'Normal & Abnormal' Conditions and 'Routine & Non-routine' Activities ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
J Routine test for MD finished product IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
RoxaneB Environmental Objectives - Do they need to be linked into with Routine Indicators? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 6
RoxaneB Search for another name for "Standardization Process" or "Routine Management" Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
D Line clearance - Routine components in the prep room for universal use ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
qualprod Best practice to ensure inputting of data in production Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
R Monitor production quality - Internal KPIs Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
P Conformity assessment based on a quality management system or production quality assurance EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Anonymous16-2 Dietary Supplement Raw Material/Component Storage and Production Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
L Significant Production Run - How 300 was determined to be the minimum quantity APQP and PPAP 2
Q ISO 9001 8.5.1 - Control of production and service performance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
C Production and Post Production feedback - ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
DuncanGibbons How is the arrangement between Design and Production organisation envisaged? EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 4
J Production Line Test Brasil - High Voltage Dielectric Strenght Test Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J Iterative design and production for custom made products ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Production approval testing - Alternative ideas for Validation Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 4
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A When there is a 2 year lapse in production, is a full FAI required? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
P Definition of production tooling in IATF16949 clause 8.5.1.6 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Moncia Production Planning procedure ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Pre-Production Capability Assesment Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
N Calibration Requirements for Production Equipment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
A Production of raw materials in university labs? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
D How long should we keep the spare parts available for our medical device, after we have stopped the production? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
V ISO 9001: 2015 Production drawing Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
D Determining Calibration Frequency schedule for items used in production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
T Customer audit demands - that I state in my QM who can shut down production AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 14
R IATF 16949 Clause 8.5.1.6 a) maintenance and repair facilities - Production tooling management and personnel IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
Ed Panek Bringing Production In house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
Q IATF 16949 certification without automotive products in "production" IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Ed Panek Small Medical Device company - Bring production in-house ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Mr Skeleton PV (Production Validation) test plan responsibility APQP and PPAP 21
D Valeo 5 Axes and VPS (Production System) Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 1
C Medical Device Stability Studies - Non-validated pilot production Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Ed Panek Moving from Contract Manufacturing to Production In-House ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
andika_untoro What are a good Critical to Quality (CTQ) metrics for a biotech manufacturing production? Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 0
Ed Panek Bringing Production in house from Contract Manufacturer ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Why is initial production units, lots, or batches, or their equivalents required for Design Validation? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3