RPN numbers in FMEA - It is not correct to go only by the RPN numbers when doing FMEA

J

jasmeet

Dont you think that it is not correct to go only by the RPN numbers when doing FMEA. Two problems having same RPN numbers would cost the company different amount of money in terms of rectification and lost sales....Moreover it is also possible that for one process the RPN number is low but the cost due to error would be high. In fact combinations of RPN and Quality Costing would be better. I am right now working on combining the RPN number and concept of Quality Costing and your advice can help me in my thesis.

Thanks
Jasmeet

Last edited by a moderator:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
There's no problem with that. You can have a line item with an RPN of 300 which would be too expensive, or it may be a technology issue, or what ever, to address beyond what you already do to control and isolate the problem line item. You do not have to operate only on the top numbers. You DO have to be ready to explain which ones you're operating on and why and why any high numbers are not being acted on. I would expect comments within the FMEA.

M

Murph095

Maybe I am not understanding the question here. FMEA's are used as a risk management tool and are a systematic method of identifying and preventing product and process problems before they occur. FMEA's are focused on preventing defects, enhancing safety, and increasing customer satisfaction. They are not put in place to identify which potential failures will incur the greatest cost. Just my .02

Murph

Al Rosen

Holed-up in a Hotel in South Florida
Staff member
Super Moderator
Murph095 said:
Maybe I am not understanding the question here. FMEA's are used as a risk management tool and are a systematic method of identifying and preventing product and process problems before they occur. FMEA's are focused on preventing defects, enhancing safety, and increasing customer satisfaction. They are not put in place to identify which potential failures will incur the greatest cost. Just my .02

Murph
All that is true but, when the cost becomes higher than the benefit of reducing the risk, you draw the line.

M

Murph095

Al Rosen said:
All that is true but, when the cost becomes higher than the benefit of reducing the risk, you draw the line.
Al,
I totally agree with that, that is true in any risk management tool. You would still need to identify the risk and have an action plan for it though even if the plan is scrap. If this is that much of a problem I would recommend they look into a little process or product re-engineering and ensure they have optimized their design.

Murph

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Murph095 said:
Al,
I totally agree with that, that is true in any risk management tool. You would still need to identify the risk and have an action plan for it though even if the plan is scrap. If this is that much of a problem I would recommend they look into a little process or product re-engineering and ensure they have optimized their design.

Murph
You're right, but after 6 years, it is moot.

M

Murph095

Marc said:
What about when the 'cost of the failure' is lives instead of money?
My assumption is other risk mangement tools (safe guards, robots, whatever) would be used.

Murph

Al Rosen

Staff member
Super Moderator
Marc said:
What about when the 'cost of the failure' is lives instead of money?
Those items require a reduction of the risk to zero, in my opinion. There are companies though, that will still weigh the cost of reducing the risk versus the cost of the law suits that may develop. I don't think I have to mention their names since most of the people in these forums are familiar with them.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I PFMEA RPN Numbers Medical Device Risk Management FMEA and Control Plans 1
W Is the RPN (risk priority number) in the PFMEA really a RPN without the detectability ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 4
N Timing for Closing High FMEA RPN Items FMEA and Control Plans 4
Moncia Recalculating RPN (FMEA Risk Priority Number) - Customer Request APQP and PPAP 10
M Requiring action on factors alone of RPN in FMEA APQP and PPAP 7
C PFMEA RPN - Feedback regarding adjusted RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
N How to reduce RPN of Visual Inspection Process FMEA and Control Plans 6
S PFMEA RPN - At what RPN level do you take actions in the FMEA? APQP and PPAP 4
C How to handle Action Results in a new FMEA Review once we have a new RPN? FMEA and Control Plans 1
L FMEA - Calculating RPN = S*O*D FMEA and Control Plans 3
I RPN without Recommendation neither corrective actions FMEA and Control Plans 2
Q Why is the FMEA RPN = S*O*D? FMEA and Control Plans 10
G Determining the "Detection" Number Component of the FMEA RPN FMEA and Control Plans 5
K How do you determine what is acceptable base on an FMEA RPN FMEA and Control Plans 6
M Changing PFMEA (Process FMEA) RPN Values based on a Rejection FMEA and Control Plans 4
A PFMEA (Process FMEA) Detection Rating - Actions to Reduce RPN FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Do you have to use RPN in Medical Device Risk Analysis? Identification of Hazards ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
R When to take action if an FMEA RPN number is high? FMEA and Control Plans 43
G Relation b/n Process Failure Mode RPN Value and the associated Process Failure Cost FMEA and Control Plans 3
B Formula to calculate the Process Sigma from an RPN Six Sigma 17
E FMEA Action Plan Threshold (RPN) - Auditor says Action Plan for an RPN > 84 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 21
Howard Atkins FMEA RPN Reduction Process FMEA and Control Plans 4
M FMEA RPN Recalculation after Actions are (or are not) Taken FMEA and Control Plans 6
C PFMEA RPN rankings - Preventative action must be opened if RPN over 100 ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
R If two processes have same RPN NUMBER - which should have priority over the other? FMEA and Control Plans 3
T RPN of Action Results per the AIAG FMEA manual FMEA and Control Plans 5
N How to Calculate RPN in Design FMEA (DFMEA) vs. Process FMEA (PFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 9
F What is a usual RPN level for requiring actions? FMEA and Control Plans 4
V Emphasizing Severity more than Occurrence and Detection vs. Overall RPN FMEA and Control Plans 20
L PFMEA (Process FMEA) issue about lower RPN - AIAG 3rd edition page 55 FMEA and Control Plans 13
B Corrective Actions Priority - Process FMEA (PFMEA) RPN Limits - Recommended Actions FMEA and Control Plans 20
R FMEA review, RPN reduction - Any "rule of thumb" as to what makes an RPN too high? FMEA and Control Plans 12
K RPN reduction - Occurrance Reduction - Reducing occurance of defect on line FMEA and Control Plans 1
A Does anyone actually do a Pareto of the Top 5 (highest) RPN's of PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 8
A Is there an established RPN number or score for a DFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 1
S RPN Ranking - Put a formula in an access database or Excel .xls spreadsheet Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 12
G Assignation of RPN rating (Detection) on Visual Inspection where subsequent operation FMEA and Control Plans 18
D Ranking Audit Effectiveness with RPN General Auditing Discussions 3
R PFMEA - RPN - Severity, Occurrence and Detection - Which one does not change? FMEA and Control Plans 67
A Quick question about RPNs - Any RPN over 100 should be actioned? FMEA and Control Plans 9
J FMEA RPN Number and When to Recommend to Take Action FMEA and Control Plans 3
T Process FMEA (Failure Modes Effects Analysis) Severity Rating and RPN IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
S FMEA - Reject a PPAP because the RPN number is not shown? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 6
S Process FMEA (PFMEA) RPN Corrective Action Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
S FMEA RPN Corrective Action Plan QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
R Defining the RPN cut off number - Working on the top 3- 5 high RPNs? FMEA and Control Plans 4
Kevin Mader FMEA Severity Index - Leading contributor to the RPN value FMEA and Control Plans 9
D Partial FAI - AS9102 -One single drawing has 10 part numbers AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
I Reissuing documents due to missing version / issue numbers Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
JoshuaFroud Serial numbers and labelling when sharing device components ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1