RSL (Remote Site Location) Laboratory - Does it need to be ISO 17025

Sipes2

Registered
Hello,
wondering if a sister company, that has a lab that we use, and is listed as an RSL on our certificate has to be certified to 17025? Fingers crossed the answer is no! Thanks in advance to all that answer!!:D

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello,
wondering if a sister company, that has a lab that we use, and is listed as an RSL on our certificate has to be certified to 17025? Fingers crossed the answer is no! Thanks in advance to all that answer!!:D

Do you and your sister company share an IATF 16949:2016 certificate?

If not, then your sister company is considered an "external provider", and ISO/IEC 17025 laboratory accreditation is required.

Any opinions from my Cove Colleagues is appreciated.

Sebastian

Trusted Information Resource
Let's start from IATF 16949 definition of support function.
Non-production activity (conducted on site or at remote location) that supports one (or more) manufacturing sites of the same organization.
Supporting function is treated as "internal", even "the same" organization are in fact two separated companies with separated certificates. Therefore I would say sister site laboratory is an internal laboratory. This support has to be addressed in both sites QMS and 3rd party audited at site where supporting laboratory is located. That's all and my UI.

Sipes2

Registered
thank you all for your answers... I feel we are still not certain on which way to go... I agree with both statements, but with these all being in different countries with different certification bodies, I am thinking to lean on the safe side and say we can not include them.
I would still like to see what others feel on this, so please respond if possible, and I will continue to speak with our sister companies as to the depth of their scope and audit for their lab.

Top Bottom