Rules for Paper Forms outside of an eQMS - 3 Questions (ISO 13485)

duff999

Involved In Discussions
We are currently establishing our eQMS, but we will have the need to have a number of forms live outside the eQMS such as paper forms. Can anyone help with a high level explanation of the rules for paper forms.

1. Do these forms have to be locked down for editing
2. Can I use MS Word, or do I have to use something like Adobe to make fallible forms.
3. For signatures, can I use wet ink opposed to electronic, time stamped such as Docusign.

Any other comments are greatly appreciated.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

duff999

Involved In Discussions
There are several forms that we use outside of our cloud based system and we would like to control these, therefor the need.

thumphrey03

Starting to get Involved
I've seen live forms with the watermark "Uncontrolled" and stamped with a message at the footer displaying "This document is uncontrolled following the specific date"

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
Sorry, but please provide more information. Is your eQMS used for approving and releasing the content of the forms? If so, what prevents the end user from printing out a copy of the approved master electronic document? If your forms are not approved through your eQMS system, then why not? What is the process by which the content of the forms is approved and controlled?

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Do you mean the records (from completing a form) live outside eQMS? If so, and presuming you need to complete the form (create the record) outside of eQMS, why not just scan the record and then stuff into eQMS?

There are no regulations on how, specifically, you manage things. The records and data in the records (and signatures) must all have data integrity. And, of course, you must protect the records to ensure they remain legible, are identifiable, retrievable, etc. throughout the retention period. How you do that is up to you (but scanning a copy and putting in eQMS is certainly one way).

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Do you mean the records (from completing a form) live outside eQMS? If so, and presuming you need to complete the form (create the record) outside of eQMS, why not just scan the record and then stuff into eQMS?

There are no regulations on how, specifically, you manage things. The records and data in the records (and signatures) must all have data integrity. And, of course, you must protect the records to ensure they remain legible, are identifiable, retrievable, etc. throughout the retention period. How you do that is up to you (but scanning a copy and putting in eQMS is certainly one way).
Thanks for your comments, always appreciated. Let say I want to create a packing slip, and I want to give it a form number. I can create forms in the eQMS but every time I print the form it prints 2 pages, both with watermarks, and it also updates the form number incrementally,-1, -2, etc., so for this form I thought I would have it live outside of the eQMS. I created the form, sent it out for approvals and got the required signatures, all outside of the eQMS. Essentially I was looking for a process in case there are other miscellaneous forms I needed to create.

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
I would just caution against an abundance of controlled forms. To me, packing slip (forms) don't warrant control. Where there are instances that there is inherent (compliance) risk with incorrectly collecting data (e.g., complaints) then a (controlled) form is probably a good idea.

indubioush

Quite Involved in Discussions
I can create forms in the eQMS but every time I print the form it prints 2 pages, both with watermarks, and it also updates the form number incrementally,-1, -2, etc.,
I strongly suggest you fix the issue with your eQMS. There should be options that you can turn on and off. Correcting the root cause is always better than creating a workaround.

duff999

Involved In Discussions
Appreciate all the help. Discovered a way to attached the fillable pdf's through the attachment options. This will work well for what I was trying to accomplish.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
somashekar Hazardous waste rules - India - Carbon paper and thermal transfer printer ribbons Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
T IATF Rules for sharing production space with another company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
M Indian Medical Device Rules --Manufacturing and Whole sale Lic. Required ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Is QMS like a set of rules and regulations that a company follows? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
S Drugs and Cosmetics Rules - India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
G Do HIPAA Rules Apply to a 3rd Party Logistics Shipper? Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
shimonv Rigid rules for handling supplier audit findings ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
K EU MDR Rule 11 - Does the 'Risk logic' used in Rule 11 conflict with that used in the other rules? EU Medical Device Regulations 2
N Is there a standard / rules pertaining to eating in medical device manufacturing area? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Informational TGA – Advertising health products: Rules about safety claims in advertising Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Volkswagen Complaints Management Rules Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
M Informational US FSA – Surgical staples – Guidance and proposed rules Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational MDCG 2019-2 Guidance on application of UDI rules to device-part of products referred to in Article 1(8), 1(9) and 1(10) of Regulation 745/2017 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Medical Device News EU – MDCG 2019-1 MDCG guiding principles for issuing entities rules on Basic UDI-DI Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Why have IATF rules required the CBs to audit remote supporting functions at first? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
T Informational Family or Baseline PFMEA Rules FMEA and Control Plans 22
A Where are the rules for when a repeat minor nonconformance becomes a major? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 36
M Medical Device News FDA Withdrawals Two Proposed Rules Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
R How to keep track of all FDA rules and regulations for medical device companies 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
C What are rules to notify customers if IATF cert is put on hold? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
L What are the rules on significance of digits in numbers in IEC/ISO standards? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
J Rules associated with introducing new QMS processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
R IATF 16949 certification rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
K Rules or guidelines for quoting FDA announcements and such? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
M INDIA - GSR 78 (E) - New Medical Device Rules - 2017 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
L Hypothesis Testing + Thumb Rules Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
L Percentage Thumb Rules for Quality Costs Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 1
A EASA Easy Access Rules for Continuing Airworthiness - June 2017 EASA and JAA Aviation Standards and Requirements 0
Sidney Vianna IATF 16949 Areas of Impact - Rules 5th Edition Document (February 2017) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
Uriel Alejandro Including "Internal Rules" as Controlled Documents in a QMS Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Marc Rules for Posting in the Paid Consulting, Training and Services Forum Paid Consulting, Training and Services 3
M I am looking for the text of the copyright 'rules' for AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
F Rules to respect when changing from Certification Body ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Anerol C IATF or ISO TS 16949 rules about Scope of QMS IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
Crimpshrine13 Rules of achieving and maintaining IATF recognition - Determining audit days IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Ajit Basrur New Medical Device and IVD Registration Rules - Pakistan Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
A PUWER (Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations) and old machines (UK rules) Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 4
M Translating and Rotating Rules when programming or measuring with a CMM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Are there specific rules regarding ISO 13485 and R&D? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Mikey324 Questionable Audit Findings after Rules 4th Edition Release IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M ISO/TS 16949 Rules about Commodities IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N IATF Appeals on ISO/TS16949 Rules - 4th Ed. - Removal of Site Extensions IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Scope content of TS 16949 certificate under Rules 4 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
L IMDS Overcheck Rules RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 9
A Attribute Sampling Plans with Switching Rules - Software Recommendations Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Suspension Status - Rules 4th Edition IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
J Audit days calculator based on Rules 4th IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Long Range OC Curves - Acceptance Sampling Switching Rules Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
D Japan Rules for Marketing Authorization Holders Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
M Losing our Certification under 4th Edition Rules IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13