SA8000 - Social Accountability - Have You heard Of It?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Anyone else heard of this before?

--------snippo-------

Subject: FYI: DNV Certification Receives SA8000 Accreditation/Vianna

DNV Certification has been awarded accreditation to certify to Social Accountability 8000, the new global standard for working conditions based on several International Labor Organizations conventions, the United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child and the Universal Declaration on Human Rights. DNV Certification will begin issuing SA8000 certifications this year.

SA8000 addresses working conditions including child labor, forced labor, health and safety, freedom of association, collective bargaining, discrimination, disciplinary practices, working hours, compensation and management systems. Companies that adopt SA8000 demonstrate a commitment to improved working conditions, which protect their brand images and reputations with customers, investors and employees.

"DNV Certification expects to certify at least a dozen companies to SA8000 before the end of 1998," says Roger Howe, DNV Certifications' general manager. "Many of them see SA8000 as complementary to DNV's proprietary Occupational Health and Safety Management System to which DNV has issued several certificates."

SA8000 has been defined by the Council of Economic Priorities, which published a guidance document through its London office. During the next two years, CEP will improve and refine this document through a global consultation process.

For more information on SA8000 accreditation, contact DNV Certification at telephone (281) 721-6818 or visit the company's Web site at www.dnvcert.com.

Thanks and regards,

Sidney Vianna

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
R

Roger Eastin

Where does one get a copy of SA9000..er, SA8000?

[This message has been edited by Roger Eastin (edited 10-12-98).]

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I checked their web site and found nothing. I called and I got voice mail. If I find anything out I'll let you know.

Marc

Staff member
Admin
Did you hear? Dan says its coming.

See the March issue of Quality Progress at the bottom right of page 37. It's obvious the big 3 now seriously see themselves as a vehicle to force companies to embrace what ever they think is a good idea.

Comments, anyone? What do YOU think???

R

Roger Eastin

Sheesh, where does it stop? I thought the concept of SA8000 (I think that is the name of it) was going a little bit far (except in some countries), but this new "standard" seems like it may be legitimized. Again, my question is, why do we need a new standard when OSHA seems to have regulations already? Reid's comments about the fact that "...$2000 of the cost of every car results from employee health care costs..." - maybe GM needs to first determine whether they should reform their company health care system. Maybe they are paying out too much to their employees. I think we need a new standard like we need a hole in the head (oops, there's another health care cost...silly me!).

Marc

Staff member
Admin
I have not, over the last 5 years, waivered from the belief that the big 3 want suppliers to essentially be satellites. Much like Mother Russia controlled her babies like Yugoslovia, Dan Reid and his ilk think they see the light - but not in their own companies (can you possibly imagine a GM assembly plant QS9000 registered???), but rather in their suppliers.

But I always come back to the reality. Not to be a smart ass, each company makes up their own mind whether they want to be automotive related or not and how far they will go. Some years back Intel told the big 3 to go eat raw eggs when the big 3 wanted Intel to register to QS9000. Motorola, however, took the registration route.

It doesn't stop until you stop it. As long as your company makes a profit selling to automotive I bet they'll kneel when told to.
Reid's comments about the fact that "...$2000 of the cost of every car results from employee health care costs..." - maybe GM needs to first determine whether they should reform their company health care system.
Those who work for the big 3 have unbelieveably good health and benefit packages. Typically suppliers have comparatively poor plans.

This is an aspect I have preached about since I realized in 1988 that GM (in particular then, but they're all recognizing it now) was headed towards evolving into a management firm. Assembly of modules is already a reality (no - not just small stuff like switches or dashboards, but the big stuff like a front end). The goal is to have suppliers do the majority of the work. The GM Brazil experiment from the 1980's had suppliers actually providing personnel for attaching their component modules to the vehicle at the plant. Heck, why should GM do anything more than watch? That way the suppliers are responsible for benefits and healthcare costs, etc. The only thing stopping a very quick switch is the auto workers union will not let them pare down the work force quickly.

The evolution is interesting to watch.

J

Jan Uetz

You can get information on the SA8000 by contacting LINK, a new company striving for a Fair Trade Guarantee:

Contact Information:
AMANA SA
Adelbändli 12
CH-5000 Aarau
SWITZERLAND

Telephone: +41 62 823 6984
Fax: +41 62 823 8822
The website will be launched next wednesday, March 22 (believe me, I know, I'm the webmaster for LINK!): ***OBSOLETE LINK DELETED***

Good Luck

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Al Dyer

Marc,

Yes, I am cringing! But since this is not a political forum I will bite my tounge and find another forum to vent my views.

You are very correct in your views concerning auto suppliers becoming satellites to the big 3. Numerous companies I have dealt with actually have items in their business plans to locate feeder shops near the assembly plants. This will work with the large suppliers but the small suppliers will suffer due to the costs involved.

But like you say, most suppliers are at the mercy of the automakers, unless they think forward enough to have a varied customer base and don't rely totally on automotive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Ted Schmitt Social Accountability Standard - SA8000:2008; new revision available. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
S Vehicle Manufacturer Requirements - ISO-Guide and SA8000 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
Q List of US companies certified (registered) to SA8000: 2001 standard. Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
T SA 8000:2001 + ISO 9001:2000 - Combining SA8000 with our ISO system Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
John C. Abnet Free Social Distancing Online Q&A session on 2 April 2020 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 0
John C. Abnet Social distancing - Q&A session Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 2
D Social Media Feedback process for Medical Devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
Randy Remote auditing (for disaster, disease, disturbance etc...) during the Neo Coronavirus Pandemic and Social Distancing Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
W ISO standards /Social Audit Franchise (Accredited & Non Accredited) Service Industry Specific Topics 6
M Informational EU – Employment, Social Policy, Health and Consumer Affairs Council Public session (Health) – AOB – medical devices Implementation of the regulation o Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
Edward Reesor Exporting from China - Unified Social Credit Code ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K What social media do you use? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Marc Which Internet Social Groups do you participate in? After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 58
R Control of company website and social media Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
D Whither Corporate Social Responsibility Imported Legacy Blogs 2
A Check out the latest Social Group! Classic Car Int'l World News 4
M Reporting: Sustainability, Environmental, Social and Global Reporting Initiative Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 6
Richard Regalado Banning Social Media INCREASES Risks to Information Security IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 2
P What is the status of, and requirements of Corporate Social Responsibility Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
P Use of Social Research Methodology in Quality Management and Applied Science Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 5
F Anyone have experience of a hiring a Social Anthropologist? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 9
somashekar Driving CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) Performance down the Supply Chain Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 8
arios Elsmar's Social Group "Mexican Curious" reached 100 Members Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 8
E Why to Implement or Not to Implement ISO 26000 (Social Responsibility) Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 14
Marc Browser Alert Malware - Sept 2010 - Social Engineering Scheme After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
Stijloor From ASQ: ISO 26000 - Social Responsibility - Coming Soon! ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 4
AnaMariaVR2 Pharma is heading towards Social Media Marketing - #FDASM US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
D Tobacco and CSR (Corporate Social Responsibility) Imported Legacy Blogs 2
Marc Regulated Industry Businesses Struggle To Control Social Networking Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 0
P Corporate Social Responsibility as an essential element to sustain a business Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 19
N SA 8000 Awareness contribution to Corporate Social Responsibility slides request Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 3
K Social Networking - Share, Care But Review & Control World News 0
Hershal Social groups...... See link at the top of the page Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 1
S Health care, social services and measuring equipment Service Industry Specific Topics 6
Sidney Vianna What about the Social Responsibility of ISO and TC176? Failure to show by example? ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 12
Claes Gefvenberg New social group: Photo freaks Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 6
sonflowerinwales Visit to Parent Company in San Diego - Advice on Business & Social Etiquette in USA Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 35
Hershal Other discussion or social places? Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 22
R SA 8000:2001 (Social Accountability Standard) Information Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 19
Ajit Basrur Social and Environmental Compliance Audit Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
S ISO 26000 standard on Social Responsibility reaches positive turning point World News 4
Marc Credit Union Audit - Social Engineering, the USB Way After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 2
D Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility Sustainability, Green Initiatives and Ecology 18
Marc Funds join in social, environmental and governance factor pressure World News 2
Marc ISO26000 - A new standard formula: Social + Responsibility = Reward Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 7
Marc Internet serves as 'social glue' After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 4
P Considering Career in Auditing with focus on Social Responsibility Career and Occupation Discussions 23
Sidney Vianna ISO to develop a Guidance Document (ISO 26000) on Social Responsibility - some object Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 171
C AS9100D -8.5.1j - Accountability For All Products Tiny Parts AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 1
H AS9100 - Accountability for Job Travelers AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 25