SAE Jrr 003 (RR-003?) - SAE J4000 - Lean Manufacturing - Status Evaluation

S

Silvestre Mendoza

is anyone familiar with this standar? any copy available?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
I'm not familiar with Sae Jrr 003 off hand - But where is it called out? Is this from a print or an RFQ (request for quote)?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Ah! It doesn't appear to be a standard or an SAE document. But again, where is it called out? Is this from a print or an RFQ (request for quote)?

Thanks for the link! From the link:
RR-003
Automotive Lean Enterprise Conversion-Best Practice Examples
Roy Trent, February 2000, 9 Chapters, Paperbound
$120.00

Lean Enterprise Conversion: Best Practice Examples contains the research results from the first crucial process identified by the SAE Automotive Manufacturing Initiative. The objective of the Automotive Manufacturing Initiative is to identify, survey, record, and publish best practices for manufacturing processes that are projected to be of greatest importance to the automotive industry over the next few years. The examples cited in this document represent best practices in the implementation of lean operation at representative companies, which are in the advanced stages of evolution in the process.

Chapters include:

* Scope
* References
* Identification of Elements
* Management/Trust
* People
* Information
* Supplier/Organization/Customer Chain
* Product
* Process/Flow

Reviews

"The J4000 tool is complementary to Ford's current lean manufacturing initiatives and is a simple and concise guideline that will help automotive suppliers and others in the industry to determine their current state relative to lean transformation." - Roman Krygier, Ford Powertrain Operations

"...This new standard, J4000, gives manufacturers a good way to examine company behaviors, identify the gaps, and strategically focus resources on continuous improvement." - Mike DaPrile, Toyota Motor Manufacturing
It also appears to be in response to this:
SAE J4000 Identification and Measurement of Best Practice in Implementation of Lean Operation

SAE J4000 Identification and Measurement of Best Practice in Implementation of Lean Operation was developed by the Society of Automotive Engineers as a Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice.

This guideline recommends business practices for the implementation of lean operating principles in the manufacturing environment. This system is compatible with other management systems such as the AS9100, ISO 9001, and QS-9000 standards.

A companion document SAE J4001 - Implementation of Lean Operation User Manual is a more user friendly version of J4000 that provides additional guidance and details for grading implementation levels.
Intent

For a company to develop more efficient and cost effective manufacturing processes.

S

Silvestre Mendoza

It´s called out onone of my customer´s prints. Not sure I can share that, but it´s there.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Silvestre Mendoza said:
It´s called out onone of my customer´s prints. Not sure I can share that, but it´s there.
It doesn't seem to make much sense to reference an SAE guideline on Lean implementation on a print.You need to ask the customer if you're not sure what the specifications mean, because you might get an interpretation here that makes sense, but isn't what the customer actually wants :D .

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
cncmarine said:
Makes sense onlyif its used as a guideline or reference.
IMO, there should be no guidelines on prints--only specifications, or references to specifications/standards (requirements, in other words).

Top Bottom