Safety Training Program

Quality_Goblin

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

I have been asked to create a Safety Training Program for our machine shops but I am at a loss on where to start. Has anyone else been tasked with a similar project? Did you find compliance videos online to show the employees? Did you find an outside company to come and provide the trainings? Any sort of input is appreciated, something that can help me create an outline to build on. Thanks!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi All,

I have been asked to create a Safety Training Program for our machine shops but I am at a loss on where to start. Has anyone else been tasked with a similar project? Did you find compliance videos online to show the employees? Did you find an outside company to come and provide the trainings? Any sort of input is appreciated, something that can help me create an outline to build on. Thanks!
Yep, I've been a safety professional for 35+ years, so been there done that

Most likely you can find everything you need by looking around on www.osha.gov

Also CalOsha and other states have excellent free material, everything you need............

Question.... Why you? Does your employer not understand the regulatory, and potential civil/criminal liabilities involved (depending on jurisdiction)

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I was involved for many years with safety at US Dept of Energy sites, mostly were "VPP STAR". Yes, there are good videos out there, but just making the safety meetings a video watching exercise will get very boring very fast. I'd get some of your more experienced machine operators and train them up to get safety training on their machines. I am assuming you at least have an Industrial hygienist and/or a safety engineer that could provide some expertise. And managers should be involved in giving the training. By the way, the accident investigations by the CSB U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board | CSB videos can be very useful. Chemical safety is also an issue in machine shops between cleaners and paints and solvents.

If you did bring in a safety vendor, I'd be sure to ask for "train the trainer" sessions so you can become self supporting.

If you want to go the Voluntary Protection Program route, there are a lot of peer resources through the VPP Participants Association. VPPPA

Also can look for existing safety plans such as machine_shop_safety_program.pdf (osu.edu)

Quality_Goblin

Starting to get Involved
Yep, I've been a safety professional for 35+ years, so been there done that

Most likely you can find everything you need by looking around on www.osha.gov

Also CalOsha and other states have excellent free material, everything you need............

Question.... Why you? Does your employer not understand the regulatory, and potential civil/criminal liabilities involved (depending on jurisdiction)
Thank you Randy!

To answer your question on why me - I am the Training Coordinator, and we don't have a safety program at either of our facilities. So the duty has fallen onto me to create something for us to work with. At our North Carolina site we have been given the opportunity to have a 3rd Party trainer do some basic OSHA required trainings with some of our guys. We have since grown and will need to do that training again with the new employees. Now I need to create something that can be used in both North Carolina and California.

Quality_Goblin

Starting to get Involved
Hi All,

I have been asked to create a Safety Training Program for our machine shops but I am at a loss on where to start. I know I can look at the OSHA website, but I am looking to hear about your personal experiences and how you rolled out the program.

How did you implement the program/training?
Did you find compliance videos online to show the employees?
Did you find an outside company to come and provide the trainings?
Am I allowed to give the trainings myself?
How in depth do these trainings have to be?

Any sort of input is appreciated, something that can help me create an outline to build on. Thanks!

Randy

Super Moderator
Thank you Randy!

To answer your question on why me - I am the Training Coordinator, and we don't have a safety program at either of our facilities. So the duty has fallen onto me to create something for us to work with. At our North Carolina site we have been given the opportunity to have a 3rd Party trainer do some basic OSHA required trainings with some of our guys. We have since grown and will need to do that training again with the new employees. Now I need to create something that can be used in both North Carolina and California.
Here you go, North Carolina OSHA has free stuff as well........ Occupational Safety and Health | NC DOL

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc Safety Training - ISO 9001 / QS-9000 Safety Training Mandates - The SafeStart program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
H Product Safety & Conformity Representative (PSCR) Training Company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
J Manufacturing Safety Wire Training and Certification - Who should train Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
V Advantages of Training Employees about Health and Safety at the Workplace Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 19
M Training Toolbox for Basic Food Hygiene - Food Safety Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
D Recall, Safety Notice or Training? - Medical Device with two identical complaints 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 15
T Food Safety Training Tool by Purdue University and Virginia Tech Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 0
J Metrics for measuring Return of Investment (ROI) in Safety training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J Does ISO9k2k require Safety Training needed in production floor ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
T Tons of Free Safety Training PowerPoints Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
T Book Excerpt: Drugs and the FDA: Safety, Efficacy, and the Public’s Trust Book, Video, Blog and Web Site Reviews and Recommendations 0
M Safety assessment of cosmetic product EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H EMC & Safety Testing of the product with the same Sr. No. for EC Declaration CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A Quality and Safety in one. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
D ISO 14001 Finding - Missing Safety Data Sheets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
V Functional safety for Fuses and Fuse boxes ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
armani Monitoring and measuring equipment for occupational health and safety purposes Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 10
T Testing for proving food safety on USP class vi material RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
T Internal and external communication procedure for Food Safety Food Safety - ISO 22000, HACCP (21 CFR 120) 2
T FDA level of concern vs IEC 62304 safety classification - 510(k) exempt device Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
S Safety testing IEC 60601 series Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
K Electrical Safety Tester ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
H Harmonized Standard for the refrigerated lab device safety CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H Regarding the validity of EMC & Safety test reports without NABL & ILAC-MRA mark. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H Regarding EMC & Safety retesting requirements of the product CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
L Article 87 Field Safety Corrective Actions in a third country EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Risk control through Information for safety ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 12
Ron Rompen 4.4.1.2 Product Safety Compliance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 29
B QMS Functional Safety Checklist ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 0
H Characteristics related to safety - format of documentation ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
Watchcat Raising new questions of safety and effectiveness Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
Anerol C In Charge of Safety - New- Safety program Example Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 6
Aymaneh Summary of safety and performance (SSP) IVDR 2017/746 EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Summary of safety and clinical performance and Article 120(3) of the MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Sidney Vianna Food & Beverage Safety Lead Auditor Open Position - USA Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
D ISO 26262 functional safety : how to get started Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
A What is different between Field Safety Notice and Advisory Notice in U.S and EU? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
A TGA - Annual Report or Periodic Safety Update Report? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
B IVDR Electrical safety standard EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Z Choice of PTC heater voltage to maximize user safety and ease of CE compliance to LVD CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Post Market Safety Update Report for devices that will be up-classified under MDR but are currently under MDD EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Northern Ireland Field Safety Corrective Actions (FSCA) UK Medical Device Regulations 5
chris1price Notified Body responsible for product safety under MDD? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
H Class II a vs "software safety class A" IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
S Cyber Security and Safety Risks Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 5
A Canadian Safety Labels for medical electrical equipment Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
A Applicability of Photobiological Safety Evaluation for LED used in medical devices Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
A Should I take an online course for a career in Occupational Health and Safety? Career and Occupation Discussions 2
E 60601-1 - Tilt testing - Tensile safety factor IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
Marc ISO 26262- Road vehicles – Functional safety ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 3