Safety Training Program

Quality_Goblin

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

I have been asked to create a Safety Training Program for our machine shops but I am at a loss on where to start. Has anyone else been tasked with a similar project? Did you find compliance videos online to show the employees? Did you find an outside company to come and provide the trainings? Any sort of input is appreciated, something that can help me create an outline to build on. Thanks!

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi All,

I have been asked to create a Safety Training Program for our machine shops but I am at a loss on where to start. Has anyone else been tasked with a similar project? Did you find compliance videos online to show the employees? Did you find an outside company to come and provide the trainings? Any sort of input is appreciated, something that can help me create an outline to build on. Thanks!

Yep, I've been a safety professional for 35+ years, so been there done that

Most likely you can find everything you need by looking around on www.osha.gov

Also CalOsha and other states have excellent free material, everything you need............

Question.... Why you? Does your employer not understand the regulatory, and potential civil/criminal liabilities involved (depending on jurisdiction)

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
I was involved for many years with safety at US Dept of Energy sites, mostly were "VPP STAR". Yes, there are good videos out there, but just making the safety meetings a video watching exercise will get very boring very fast. I'd get some of your more experienced machine operators and train them up to get safety training on their machines. I am assuming you at least have an Industrial hygienist and/or a safety engineer that could provide some expertise. And managers should be involved in giving the training. By the way, the accident investigations by the CSB U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board | CSB videos can be very useful. Chemical safety is also an issue in machine shops between cleaners and paints and solvents.

If you did bring in a safety vendor, I'd be sure to ask for "train the trainer" sessions so you can become self supporting.

If you want to go the Voluntary Protection Program route, there are a lot of peer resources through the VPP Participants Association. VPPPA

Also can look for existing safety plans such as machine_shop_safety_program.pdf (osu.edu)

Quality_Goblin

Involved In Discussions
Yep, I've been a safety professional for 35+ years, so been there done that

Most likely you can find everything you need by looking around on www.osha.gov

Also CalOsha and other states have excellent free material, everything you need............

Question.... Why you? Does your employer not understand the regulatory, and potential civil/criminal liabilities involved (depending on jurisdiction)

Thank you Randy!

To answer your question on why me - I am the Training Coordinator, and we don't have a safety program at either of our facilities. So the duty has fallen onto me to create something for us to work with. At our North Carolina site we have been given the opportunity to have a 3rd Party trainer do some basic OSHA required trainings with some of our guys. We have since grown and will need to do that training again with the new employees. Now I need to create something that can be used in both North Carolina and California.

Quality_Goblin

Involved In Discussions
Hi All,

I have been asked to create a Safety Training Program for our machine shops but I am at a loss on where to start. I know I can look at the OSHA website, but I am looking to hear about your personal experiences and how you rolled out the program.

How did you implement the program/training?
Did you find compliance videos online to show the employees?
Did you find an outside company to come and provide the trainings?
Am I allowed to give the trainings myself?
How in depth do these trainings have to be?

Any sort of input is appreciated, something that can help me create an outline to build on. Thanks!

Randy

Super Moderator
Thank you Randy!

To answer your question on why me - I am the Training Coordinator, and we don't have a safety program at either of our facilities. So the duty has fallen onto me to create something for us to work with. At our North Carolina site we have been given the opportunity to have a 3rd Party trainer do some basic OSHA required trainings with some of our guys. We have since grown and will need to do that training again with the new employees. Now I need to create something that can be used in both North Carolina and California.

Here you go, North Carolina OSHA has free stuff as well........ Occupational Safety and Health | NC DOL

Top Bottom