SaMD: Post Market Surveillance after Decomissioning

Auxilium

Involved In Discussions
Stand-alone Software as Medical Device:
The MDR includes clear guidelines regarding Trend Reporting, Post Market Surveillance etc.
If a manufacturer plans to decommission the old MDD product and wants to go live with the MDR product, then according to Guideline MDCG 2021-25, Articles 93-100 apply to "old devices".
Question: Is it safe to say that one has to create the last Periodic Safety Update Report for the "opened" year?
I am not sure what exactly is required regarding Post Market Surveillance and Post Market Clinical Followup.
Can anyone help?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

ECHO

Involved In Discussions
Is it safe to say that one has to create the last Periodic Safety Update Report for the "opened" year?
When you say "opened" year, do you mean the last year when the SaMD was available in the market?

If so, I think this will depend on how much control you have over the obsoletion of the SaMD. For example, if this SaMD is cloud hosted and by pulling the plug on the server, you eliminate all future uses of the SaMD, I think doing 1 last update makes sense. But if your product is like an app that is downloaded on other devices, then I think you need to treat this SaMD like any other medical device that gets obsoleted.

Auxilium

Involved In Discussions
When you say "opened" year, do you mean the last year when the SaMD was available in the market?

If so, I think this will depend on how much control you have over the obsoletion of the SaMD. For example, if this SaMD is cloud hosted and by pulling the plug on the server, you eliminate all future uses of the SaMD, I think doing 1 last update makes sense. But if your product is like an app that is downloaded on other devices, then I think you need to treat this SaMD like any other medical device that gets obsoleted.
Thats a very good thought and makes sense! Thank you very much

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R SaMD Performance Testing US Medical Device Regulations 5
R Cloud-based SaMD Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
Ed Panek Consultant Request SaMD AI "Expert" FDA US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
K SaMD and Customer Integrations Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
C How to place software version for SaMD product in HIBC secondary data structure (UDI-PI)? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
R SaMD Verification & Validation IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
T IEC 62304 : Risk control for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
Z PMS Data collection for SAMD SaaS from clients EU Medical Device Regulations 3
L Essential Design Outputs for SAMD 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
A SaaS SaMD - Impact QMS ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
I Software (SaMD) mobile application verification testing: objective evidence Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 2
J Software as a Medical Device - SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
H ISO 13485-paragraphs for a SaaS SAMD needed or not? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
H Customer Specific Change in a SaaS SAMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 1
I Multiple Indications in SaMD Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
Y SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
V Software as medical device (SaMD) replicated for multiple clients through APIs IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R SaMD - Placing on the Market before DoA EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D CE SaMD modular approach CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Regulatory requirement of SaMD with machine learning component IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
Y Distributor for a SaMD Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Servicing for SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
N Agile SOP for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
M Informational TGA – Submissions received: Regulation of software, including Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D Not a SaMD - How to be submitted for marketing authorization in EU and USA CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
T Medical device or not - SaMD Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Informational TGA – Webinar: An update on the consultation for the Regulation of Software, including Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Qualification of a Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) guidance under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Informational TGA Consultation: Regulation of software, including Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R SaMD - Software as a Medical Device - Software change control form ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Scientific Advisory Panel on Software as a Medical Device (SAP-SaMD) - Record of Proceedings – January 26, 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
K Registering a Software medical device (SaMD) in China China Medical Device Regulations 5
C Supplier Assessment for Hardware supporting SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T MEDDEV 2.7/1 r4 vs. IMDRF/SaMD WG/N41 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M IMDRF document - Application of QMS to SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
W IEC 62304 vs. IMDRF SaMD Guideline Risk Class IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
A Post-market Clinical Follow-up Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Post Market Surveillance Report (PMSR) for Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 6
MaHoDie Summative Evaluation with Post-Market Data? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 2
I Post Market Surveillance Process EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 6 – How Does This Even Happen? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 5 – What's the Rush? Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 4 – Design Controls Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
I Post-market surveillance and Post-market performance follow-up for in vitro diagnostic medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Watchcat REGULATORY WATCHCAT De Novo Post-Mortem 3 - Rearranging the Regs Other US Medical Device Regulations 0