SBS - The Best Value in QMS software

SaMD Verification and Validation SOP and Plan

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

yodon

Staff member
Super Moderator
Why do you feel an SOP is necessary?

62304 does not require a (software) validation plan; only software testing at a system level. In fact, section 1.2 says: (my emphasis added):

This standard does not cover validation and final release of the MEDICAL DEVICE, even when the MEDICAL DEVICE consists entirely of software.

But, since your SaMD is a medical device, you'll still need to do design verification and design validation per 13485. So do your V&V planning per 13485 and leverage any software system testing as Verification. For validation, how do you know your system is meeting user needs and intended use?

Why do you feel an SOP is necessary?

62304 does not require a (software) validation plan; only software testing at a system level. In fact, section 1.2 says: (my emphasis added):

This standard does not cover validation and final release of the MEDICAL DEVICE, even when the MEDICAL DEVICE consists entirely of software.

But, since your SaMD is a medical device, you'll still need to do design verification and design validation per 13485. So do your V&V planning per 13485 and leverage any software system testing as Verification. For validation, how do you know your system is meeting user needs and intended use?
I think question is not whether 62304 requires Validation Plan. I understand 62304 does not cover Validation and is limited to Verification. I was more looking for sample SOP of SaMD verification and validation and sample V&V Plan for SaMD as suggested by
General Principles of Software Validation; Final Guidance for Industry and FDA Staff and also in 82304

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
I think part of the larger point @yodon is trying to make is that 62304 outlines a risk-based approach to the development of software in (or as) a Medical Device. 62304 is not intended to cover the validation of a Medical Device.

62304 is a valuable standard (even by consensus!), but it is important to note that it is a process standard, with the presumption being that following this standard within a larger framework of a 14971-compliant process for analyzing risks (to patients, users), that an appropriate amount of effort will be done to allow the software be understood within the context of the risks relating to the finished medical device.

Personally, I don't think an SOP for validation of a medical device needs to do much more than require validation, with appropriate levels of pre-approval of the plan prior to execution and approved post-execution review of results (in the form of a report). It's always possible for an SOP to be more explicit, it just depends on how specific you want/need to be. For example, if you have been having ineffective validation because of too few users in validation, you could be tempted to be more explicit about properly designed study designs. This sort of thing would not be part of a 62304-driven development.

Well its my Own preference to have SOP on V&V that give more clarity on how V7V should be carried out. I understand 62304 and its risk based development and all.
I think part of the larger point @yodon is trying to make is that 62304 outlines a risk-based approach to the development of software in (or as) a Medical Device. 62304 is not intended to cover the validation of a Medical Device.

62304 is a valuable standard (even by consensus!), but it is important to note that it is a process standard, with the presumption being that following this standard within a larger framework of a 14971-compliant process for analyzing risks (to patients, users), that an appropriate amount of effort will be done to allow the software be understood within the context of the risks relating to the finished medical device.

Personally, I don't think an SOP for validation of a medical device needs to do much more than require validation, with appropriate levels of pre-approval of the plan prior to execution and approved post-execution review of results (in the form of a report). It's always possible for an SOP to be more explicit, it just depends on how specific you want/need to be. For example, if you have been having ineffective validation because of too few users in validation, you could be tempted to be more explicit about properly designed study designs. This sort of thing would not be part of a 62304-driven development.
Defnitely SOP for Validation can be more than that on how and where you draft protocol, if clinical trial requires then what should approach, what should be validation rigor, what statistical technique should be used, how do you execute the test and how do you manage discrepancy. So it better to have seperate SOP than everything specifying in the Design Control or Software Development SOP

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
This is my opinion: If you attempt to standardize a particular statistical technique (or verification methodology) the next thing you will have to write an SOP for is for handling process deviations.

This is my opinion: If you attempt to standardize a particular statistical technique (or verification methodology) the next thing you will have to write an SOP for is for handling process deviations.
Yes off Course that's my plan to have separate SOP on statistical technique as well.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Staff member
Super Moderator
I'm not in Medical, nor in any way associated or familiar with Medical standards...but I can read forums...

Just so it doesn't get lost in translation and tact:
Well its my Own preference to have SOP on V&V that give more clarity on how V7V should be carried out.
Yes off Course that's my plan to have separate SOP on statistical technique as well.
@yodon and @Tidge, two experienced and knowledgeable members in this area said (very politely...perhaps too politely to get through),
"That's a really bad idea. Don't do that."

HTH, best of luck whichever way you choose to go.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Multiple Indications in SaMD Other US Medical Device Regulations 8
V Software as medical device (SaMD) replicated for multiple clients through APIs IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
R SaMD - Placing on the Market before DoA EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D CE SaMD modular approach CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
K Regulatory requirement of SaMD with machine learning component IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
Y Distributor for a SaMD Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 3
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
Q Storing and developing SAMD (Software as a Medical Device) in the Cloud IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
A Demonstration of Equivalence - Need for comparing biological characteristics for an SamD EU Medical Device Regulations 1
N Servicing for SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Technical File Requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
A Software as Medical Device (SaMD) definition and its applicability Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
N Agile SOP for SaMD IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
M Informational TGA – Submissions received: Regulation of software, including Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
D Not a SaMD - How to be submitted for marketing authorization in EU and USA CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 5
T Medical device or not - SaMD Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
M Informational TGA – Webinar: An update on the consultation for the Regulation of Software, including Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Qualification of a Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) guidance under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 9
M Informational TGA Consultation: Regulation of software, including Software as a Medical Device (SaMD) Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R SaMD - Software as a Medical Device - Software change control form ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Medical Device News Health Canada - Scientific Advisory Panel on Software as a Medical Device (SAP-SaMD) - Record of Proceedings – January 26, 2018 Canada Medical Device Regulations 0
K Registering a Software medical device (SaMD) in China China Medical Device Regulations 5
C Supplier Assessment for Hardware supporting SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T MEDDEV 2.7/1 r4 vs. IMDRF/SaMD WG/N41 Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
M IMDRF document - Application of QMS to SaMD ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
W IEC 62304 vs. IMDRF SaMD Guideline Risk Class IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
K Why does load cell supplier requires force verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Use Error Risk Controls and Control Verification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 5
M Software verification and validation AS9100 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
E Calibration/Verification Report Durometer ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
S 7.1.5.2.1 Calibration/Verification Records IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
C 8.3.4 Verification and Validation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
F Compendial method verification Design and Development of Products and Processes 0
H Verification Process for the existing MDS Product IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
J IATF 16949 Calibration/Verification records question ISO 26262 - Road vehicles – Functional safety 5
P Software verification and validation procedure IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 6
S How to perform verification of the Statistical Analysis Software? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
M Sample record for verification performed by importers before placing a device on the market EU Medical Device Regulations 0
N Example for design and development planning,input,output,review,verification,validation and transfer Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 4
S Calibration/Verification of customer fixtures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Calibration verification records 7.1.5.2.1 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
B AS9100D 7.1.5.2 Calibration or Verification Method using outside cal lab AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
M ISO14971:2019 - Verification of implementation and effectiveness of risk control ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
C Stress / Challenge Conditions for Design Verification Testing to Reduce Sample Size 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 11
A Verification protocol example Design and Development of Products and Processes 2
Q Sampling method for Distributor verification activities EU Medical Device Regulations 1
D Design Verification Sample Size vs Repeats Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
S IEC 62304 - Software verification cost IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
T Laboratory Verification after validation ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
D ISO 13485 - 7.3.6 Design and development verification - Do most folks create a separate SOP? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6