Samples for a Destructive Test included in a Lot Size?

S

stevoc

Hi, I'm hoping some one can help here.

I need to supply 3,100 assemblies to a client. The supplier order will be for a greater number as it needs to include samples for release testing - the tests are destructive. The client has specified a certain AQL level (ISO 2859-1, Level III , Normal Inspection). What value do I use for lot size when determining the sample size?

Is the lot size the number of assemblies supplied to the client, or is it the size of the production batch? If samples for testing and inspection aren't included in the lot size, then the sample size = 200 for a lot size of 3,100

If the sample size is included in the lot size, then we have to test 315 parts as we fall into the next lot size category (3,200 - 10,000 parts)

I've studied the standard and the only thing I can find is a reference to the sample size being contained within the lot size. However I can't find any specific mentions on how to deal with destructive testing.

thanks for any help you can give

Steve

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Mikishots

Trusted Information Resource

I need to supply 3,100 assemblies to a client. The supplier order will be for a greater number as it needs to include samples for release testing - the tests are destructive. The client has specified a certain AQL level (ISO 2859-1, Level III , Normal Inspection). What value do I use for lot size when determining the sample size?

Is the lot size the number of assemblies supplied to the client, or is it the size of the production batch? If samples for testing and inspection aren't included in the lot size, then the sample size = 200 for a lot size of 3,100

If the sample size is included in the lot size, then we have to test 315 parts as we fall into the next lot size category (3,200 - 10,000 parts)

I've studied the standard and the only thing I can find is a reference to the sample size being contained within the lot size. However I can't find any specific mentions on how to deal with destructive testing.

Steve
Ask the client. Explain to them what you've explained to us. Keep in mind that those destructively tested pieces are not intended to become part of the production lot, so personally, I would exclude them.

Just my two cents.

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
What is the AQL level? For AQL of 0.065 or less, you would need 315 at c=0. If you selected an AQL level of 0.10, it would be either n=200 and c=0 or n=800 with c=1. Hate sounding like a broken record, but the standard is intended to incorparate the switching rules and lot size is not used in the calculation of AQL.

Steve

S

stevoc

What is the AQL level? For AQL of 0.065 or less, you would need 315 at c=0. If you selected an AQL level of 0.10, it would be either n=200 and c=0 or n=800 with c=1. Hate sounding like a broken record, but the standard is intended to incorparate the switching rules and lot size is not used in the calculation of AQL.
It's a European client who has insisted we use an ISO sampling plan - they rejected the zero acceptance plan we put forward (ANSI Z1.4, c=0).

In the ISO plans, the sample size is dictated by the inspection level (general level III in this case) and the lot size. The AQL level doesn't affect the sample size, just the number of failures that you accept/reject on.

S

stevoc

Further to my original post, we are also producing an order for another 2,000 assemblies. When we add up all the samples we need for testing and inspection at the specified levels, we end up needing 3,100 sets of components as almost all of the tests are destructive. Fortunately in the ISO standard the next lot size increment is at 3,200+, so the sample size for release testing stays at 200 assemblies regardless as to whether we consider the lot size as 2,000 (actual supply to customer) or 3,100 (Total number of manufactured parts).

Does anyone have any experience in this area? I'd be most grateful for your comments.

thanks

Steve

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
It's a European client who has insisted we use an ISO sampling plan - they rejected the zero acceptance plan we put forward (ANSI Z1.4, c=0).

In the ISO plans, the sample size is dictated by the inspection level (general level III in this case) and the lot size. The AQL level doesn't affect the sample size, just the number of failures that you accept/reject on.
Correct! I agree with you, but the Z1.4 tables are the same as the ISO 2859-1. Depending on the AQL level, you will see for a given sample size letter you will need to follow the arrow to have a different sample size.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R Select the 1 Supplier based on the Parts Durability from 6 Supplier Samples using Minitab Using Minitab Software 11
P Retention Samples for medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
N Master Samples - What should we be keeping? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
P PPAP samples retention time IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
R Accelerated Aging - Creating test samples - Implantable medical device Question Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
A AQL - How to count samples with defects for each defect class AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 17
Z Labeling for Medical Device Samples - Surgical instruments 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
S Retained samples from each batch of spinal implant medical screws that we make ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
S Samples for GR&R - Can we get the 10 samples from multiple models Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
WEAVER Retention of golden samples for GR&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
K How Many Samples to send for Chemistry Testing Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
A Interpretation of Article 16 (2b) - Packaging, samples and Certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 10
A Generating samples from a population in Minitab Using Minitab Software 0
G How many samples you require to test during PQ for validation of a equipment? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
S Help develop sampling plan for prototype samples (medical devices) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
K UDI Labeling for Medical Device Samples 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
B Guidance Required for Examining 168 Hour Salt Spray Test Samples Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
bobdoering "nds" or Number of Discriminate Samples - the Necessary Tool to Work With "ndc"! Imported Legacy Blogs 0
E Requirements for sending Medical Device Samples to Indonesia Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
Z Labeling Requirements for Free Samples supporting Clinical Evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Should Biocompatibility Tests be performed on Production Samples? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
R Customer Complaint - Samples vs. Removal - FDA Requirements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
GURU SDI Cleanliness Requirements for Initial Samples Customer Complaints 4
WEAVER Gage R&R Sample Selection - Can we include NG Samples? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 12
knightarmourus Keeping the test samples in after market nlight alloy wheel production Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
knightarmourus Initial Samples with dimensional deviation in Serial Production Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
S Is Process Validated samples required for IND submission ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
M Traceability of Tissue Samples US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
H Is design verification and validation required for samples accompanying the quotes ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M How to compare 2 independent samples having 3 factors 3 levels Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
R Is it possible to randomly select samples from 1 column to many column Using Minitab Software 2
S What is the minimum samples required for Customer Survey? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 3
D Samples & Inspection Check Sheet Templates Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
P Superiority of Drawing vs First Samples Customer Complaints 9
L How calculate the number of samples Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Do I need to initiate a Customer Complaint for Engineering Samples? Customer Complaints 4
V EMEA/UK cGMPs Requirements for Pre-Shipment Samples, Input Materials US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
P Is the European directive, 2011/65/EU applicable for Engineering Samples? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 5
C Statistics equation to determine the number of samples in a lot Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
J Attribute MSA - Number of samples Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 1
J External Laboratory in ISO/TS 16949 - Maintenance oil samples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
S Should PPAP Samples Come from a Production Run? APQP and PPAP 3
B Hypothesis Tests with nonparametric dependent population samples Using Minitab Software 5
J Is Metals Analysis of Water Samples considered "sampling"? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 15
V Process OQ for Medical Devices - Are Samples Required to be conditioned? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
0 Sample divider for PET flake bulk samples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
K Machine Press Tooling Operation Inspection Samples Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
T Test of difference for mean for 2 samples Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
L I have four groups to compare, and each group has three samples Using Minitab Software 4