Sampling for stability studies - Class II surgically invasive devices

Hi

We make Class II surgically invasive devices and I'm trying to find some official guidance on what would be an acceptable sample number for a new stability trial. The tests are generally going to be pass/fail. I know that AQL sampling isn't really appropriate for this kind of thing but I don't know where to look to figure out how to determine the sample size numbers scientifically. I should mention my statistics knowledge is a little rusty, so I might need something that's a pretty basic guide.
In the past I've been challenged by FDA on choice of sample numbers and it was very difficult to answer!
Can anyone help?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
Hi

We make Class II surgically invasive devices and I'm trying to find some official guidance on what would be an acceptable sample number for a new stability trial. The tests are generally going to be pass/fail. I know that AQL sampling isn't really appropriate for this kind of thing but I don't know where to look to figure out how to determine the sample size numbers scientifically. I should mention my statistics knowledge is a little rusty, so I might need something that's a pretty basic guide.
In the past I've been challenged by FDA on choice of sample numbers and it was very difficult to answer!
Can anyone help?
Hello northernscientist and welcome to the Cove :bigwave:

I don’t think that the FDA has generic guidance for that. If there are clearly defined expectations for your device type I would look for them in guidance officially referenced on the FDA website, in the relevant 3-letter code’s page.

From general acquaintance with the FDA and their expectations I would say you’ll need at least n=30, but it’s difficult to say when I don’t know what the device is, what’s the intended use etc. If you could somehow translate the test from attribute (pass/fail) to variable (numeric value) it is likely to reduce the required sample size (however I wouldn’t expect to go below about n=10 for statistical rigor).

If you don’t get useful responses in this thread in a week or so (it takes some time for people to actually see a question, especially during the weekend), you may repost this question in the statistical methods forum - they might not be able to tell you about FDA’s guidance/expectations, but may be able to provide sample size guidance from a purely statistical perspective.

Cheers,
Ronen.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Process Stability & Sampling - Can Sampling detect an Unstable Process? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 10
J Sampling Method for Stability Study - Implementing MSA Study on Testers Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
F Product audit sampling plans IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
R Reduced sampling plan for sterial products APQP and PPAP 0
A ISO 2859-1 - 9.3.3.2 Switching score - Sampling Plans and PPM AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 0
R BS EN 12060:1998 - Zinc and zinc alloys Method of sampling Specifications Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
S High voltage testing - ISO 17025 - 7.2.2 Validation of methods and 7.3 Sampling ISO 17025 related Discussions 3
8 Activity Sampling Exercise Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 11
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
B AS9100D Sampling Plan AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
R Design verification for interim design outputs - sampling rationale ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Nicole Desouza Sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4) AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
V How to interpret AQL sampling tables AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 5
A AQL sampling bags of parts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
C Applying Weibayes to Attribute sampling Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 0
I Sampling processes - Who must define the AQL level? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 9
E Sampling for capability studies for variables and attributes Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
O Statistical justification of sampling size in V&V tests ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
E Sampling plan for orthopedic implant - Process Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Inspection/sampling economics Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
S How to make a Sampling Plan - Conveyor belts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
V Statistical basis and justification while comparing / changing sampling plans Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 11
J AQL for Effectiveness Check - What AQL tiers to use on this type of sampling? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
N The question asks about sampling plans and AQL Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 5
S Help develop sampling plan for prototype samples (medical devices) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
A ISO 2859 Single Sampling - Clarification regarding the sampling table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Are zero defect sampling plans relevant to AS9120B Distributor AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
R DCMA Sampling of CSI Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
D Sampling method that is representative of the devices supplied by that distributor EU Medical Device Regulations 5
T ISO 13485: 2016 Internal Audit - Is sampling on projects allowed? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Zero Defect Sampling Plan Standards Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L ISO 2859-2 LQL sampling plan linked to %confidence/%reliability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Sampling Plan for transparent tubular plastic parts from 32 different cavities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
M ISO / ASTM standards for Sampling Plans for Medical Devices Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Surveillance Sampling Test - Determining Sample Size Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
A AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
B IATF 16949 Cl. 8.6.6 - Acceptance Criteria - Zero Defects Attribute Data Sampling IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
C Sampling of Class IIb Implantables under EU MDR - Assessments to the EU MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Technical Files Sampling Rule defined in NBOG 2009-4 EU Medical Device Regulations 2
J Sampling Plan Questions from the CQE Practice Exam Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
N Must Bioburden Sampling Procedures be Documented? Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
M Sampling Plan for for Chemical Analysis Testing of Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
V Sampling Plan for Destructive Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
R Network/Computer Data Migration Sampling GMP Software Quality Assurance 1
V Application and differences of OC Curve and Acceptance Sampling Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
S Industrial Aseptic Bag Heat Sealing Sampling and Qualification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6