Sampling Plan (ANSI/ASQC Z1.4) - Can anyone tell me how it is made?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
What do you mean by "...how it is made..."? Are you asking how to use a sampling table?

C

Cliff

What I mean is how are those numbers and figures come from. Are they calculated based on statistics ?

Originally posted by Marc Smith:
What do you mean by "...how it is made..."? Are you asking how to use a sampling table?

J

Jeri Mackay

Sampling Plan (ANSI/ASQC Z1.4)

Am I required to have a copy of ANSI/ASQC Z1.4 if I reference it in my sampling plan for receiving inspection? My documentation used to state "this table is based on MIL STD-105E" , I was just going to replace that statement with the ANSI information but I am wondering if we need to purchase a copy?

Jeri

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Here's my opinion: I have a copy of the standard for reference, but what I give to the shop floor to use is a chart I made from the data in the standard -- it is much easier and faster for them this way. I simply state on the chart that the chart is per ANSI/ASQC Z1.4-1993 and whichever sampling plan it is (i.e. insp. level, AQL, etc.) and sign the chart as being approved by me. Where you need to be careful is your documentation/training in how to use the standard. If you say only that your sampling plan is "per ANSI/ASQC Z1.4-1993" make sure you do the switching, etc. Otherwise, state clearly your exceptions to the standard.

Someday you may be required to prove to an auditor that the chart you use is the same as the standard, so I'd buy one copy for reference or otherwise be able to prove your chart is correct. Here is one cheap (~$25) way... (broken link removed)

Last edited:
J

Joe Cruse

Jeri,

if it were me, I'd have a physical copy of ANY standard available, if I referenced it in my documentation. But, if you put a copy of the standard in your documentation (like pasting a copy of a standard sampling plan directly into your document), then you should be okay with not having it somewhere on you desk or bookshelf. I ran into this with our registrar a few years back in dealing with an ASTM procedure for ashing coal samples, and this was his recommendation. I like to have a hard copy of any standards we use anyway, but if you directly copy it into your documentation, you shouldn't have to have a hard copy ready somewhere else, IMO.

Joe

Top Bottom