Sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4)

Nicole Desouza

Involved In Discussions
Hi,
I need to come up with a sampling plan for a customer who wants AQL 1.0 (per ANSI Z1.4). Firstly, I do not understand what this means. Could someone please explain it? I tried looking at the tables but it's kind of confusing. Secondly, where can I find more information on sampling plans? We do a variety of different types of products for different industries. for example we are in Lighting, Medical Device and Aerospace plastics extrusion industries. I would love to know what the industry standards are for these industries so that we can set the appropriate sampling plan according to the industry.

thanks,
Nicole

Last edited:
Elsmar Forum Sponsor

David-D

Involved In Discussions
Do you have a copy of Z1.4?

As a quick fill-in yoy can take a look at the historic MIL-STD-105 off of which it was based. You can download a copy free from the government at:
https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qaDocDetails.aspx?ident_number=35496

You need to know what inspection level you are usinh. Most commonly, General II is used for non-destructive samples but you might have alternate requirements.

Here's the most basic mechanism: Based on the inspection level and the lot size, use Table I to determine the code letter which equates to a sample size. Then using Table II with the code letter and AQL you can fond the sample size and the accept/reject criteria.

It gets potentially more complicated when you work in switching criteria (reduced/ tightened) double/multi sampling plans but the basics should atleast help you get started.

Best wishes,

David

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
The above posts are good guidance.

MIL-STD-105 and ANSI Z1.4 are complicated with tables that have tripped-up many a user.

I recommend getting buy-in from your customers as to what sampling plans are customary, do they require you to follow switching rules (which really complicates things), etc.

Also, many aerospace customers require "C=0" sampling plans where no rejects are allowed in the sample for the lot to pass, which is different than Z1.4 or MIL-STD-105 plans. See ASQ for a book by Nicholas Squeglia for more details on this. His plans are also much easier to understand and follow.

Nicole Desouza

Involved In Discussions
Do you have a copy of Z1.4?

As a quick fill-in yoy can take a look at the historic MIL-STD-105 off of which it was based. You can download a copy free from the government at:
https://quicksearch.dla.mil/qaDocDetails.aspx?ident_number=35496

You need to know what inspection level you are usinh. Most commonly, General II is used for non-destructive samples but you might have alternate requirements.

Here's the most basic mechanism: Based on the inspection level and the lot size, use Table I to determine the code letter which equates to a sample size. Then using Table II with the code letter and AQL you can fond the sample size and the accept/reject criteria.

It gets potentially more complicated when you work in switching criteria (reduced/ tightened) double/multi sampling plans but the basics should atleast help you get started.

Best wishes,

David
Thanks for your help. This actually simplifies things for me :)

Nicole Desouza

Involved In Discussions
The above posts are good guidance.

MIL-STD-105 and ANSI Z1.4 are complicated with tables that have tripped-up many a user.

I recommend getting buy-in from your customers as to what sampling plans are customary, do they require you to follow switching rules (which really complicates things), etc.

Also, many aerospace customers require "C=0" sampling plans where no rejects are allowed in the sample for the lot to pass, which is different than Z1.4 or MIL-STD-105 plans. See ASQ for a book by Nicholas Squeglia for more details on this. His plans are also much easier to understand and follow.
Thanks for your recommendations :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Does Sampling Plan Revision need Customer Approval? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L Is there any place for sampling plan if customer requirement is 20 DPPM Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
R AS9003 Clause 4.20.2 - Customer-approved acceptance sampling plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E Change in control plan - Do I have to do sampling? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
S Is using ANSI/ASQ Z1.4-2008 the correct sampling plan to determine Pass/Fail of Apparel measurements? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 4
N Sampling Plan for Internal Audits - ISO 2859 or 3951 - Or Neither? Internal Auditing 6
R Reduced sampling plan for sterial products APQP and PPAP 0
T Defining sampling plan for different AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 1
B AS9100D Sampling Plan AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 2
M Sampling Plan for Alumin High Pressure Die Castings Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
E Sampling plan for orthopedic implant - Process Validation Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S How to make a Sampling Plan - Conveyor belts Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Help develop sampling plan for prototype samples (medical devices) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 7
M Zero Defect Sampling Plan Standards Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
L ISO 2859-2 LQL sampling plan linked to %confidence/%reliability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
K Sampling Plan for transparent tubular plastic parts from 32 different cavities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
A AQL Sampling Plan SOP / WI - Medical Device Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 14
J Sampling Plan Questions from the CQE Practice Exam Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Sampling Plan for for Chemical Analysis Testing of Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 3
V Sampling Plan for Destructive Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
J Can ANSI Z1.4 sampling plan be used for sampling alone without the Acc/Rej criteria? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
C Sampling plan for destructive tests on small lots ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 20
B Designing a Sampling Plan - AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 19
N Use of arrows in ISO 2859-1 Table 1 and 2-A sampling plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S AS9100 Sampling Plan Requirements - 8.2.4 AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 5
S Military Sampling Plan 105E vs. ISO 2859-1 AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
kedarg6500 Acceptance Sampling Plan for Variables - Product Performance Testing Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
M Manufacturing Process Validation Destructive Testing Sampling Plan Advice Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
S Where could I get reference to an OQA Sampling Plan of 1 per 1000 ? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R What to Report when Using C=0 Sampling Plan Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 15
R Results: Monte Carlo Simulation of Acceptance Sampling Plan AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
G Sampling Plan according to SAE ARP9013 C=0 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
G Sampling Plan for Inspection of Metal Parts after CNC Machining Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 34
S Class III Sampling Plan - Explain AQL vs. 95%C & 90%R Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
G Sampling Plan for a Performance Qualification of an Inflation System Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
S How to establish a Sampling Plan from the Rework percentage? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 6
Q Sampling Plan for Paper and Tape Industry Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
C Medical Device Tracking Sampling Plan using MIL-STD-105E Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
P Lot Acceptance Plan that specifies BS 6001 Double Sampling Plans, general inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Destructive Testing Failure Mode Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
B Best Attribute Data Sampling Plan - Early Production Containment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
B In-Process Sampling Plan for a Secondary Package Adjustment Process Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
Proud Liberal Making a simple Sampling Plan by Variables Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
E How to determine the Lot Size for the OQ Sampling Plan Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 11
L Electrical Cable Harness Quality Control - Sampling Plan for Pull Test Manufacturing and Related Processes 4
G Sampling Plan - Sample Size Justification for a Bottling Cleaning Process Validation Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
I Alpha and Beta in the Sampling Plan for ISO 2859 & ISO 3951 Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 13
V Sampling Plan for Final Inspection and Process Verification Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 21
M Sampling Inspection at QA - Inputs on the following sampling plan Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K Sampling Plan for Small Lots of Single Use Items Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8