Hello,

I am working as a process validation engineer in Europe. Our notified body recommended us to perform process validation when the output cannot be verified at 100%.
The recent changes in standards (for example ISO 19227 for the validation of cleaning process of orthopedic implants, ...) ask to use "statistical techniques with rationale for sample sizes". And i have difficulties to define a statistical rationale because:
- we have very small lot (the batch size is between 10 and 100 pcs around)
- we have no process history
- all my processes are outsourced and my subcontractor are really bad in quality field, they have never validated a process and I am new in process validation field too

I have attributes data (GO/NO GO) and variable data (length for example).

1) Attribute
For the attributes, i need to choose an AQL and a LTPD. For priority, we are focusing on validating all the critical output (TOC, THC, cytotoxicity, ...). For that, we have a defined an AQL of 0.25% (no process history, no rationale) and for the LTPD, I do not know how to choose it...

2) Variable
We plan to perform a capability study and plan to prove that the process is capable (Pp and Ppk > 1.33). However, after that, i do not know how to choose my sampling... Do i have to the ppk to a LTPD and an AQL?

Do you know how to choose LTPD and AQL acceptable for critical default (sterility, cleanliness, critical dimensions, ....) when the lot size is really small (orthopedic implants, ...)?

Thanks,

enorth,

all my processes are outsourced and my subcontractor are really bad in quality field, they have never validated a process and I am new in process validation field too
IMHO, you cannot succeed with these prerequisites.

Without diving into specifics:
  • in case you a running short of actual product for your validations, can you define and build worst-case (dummy) products, in sterilization often referred to as "PCD (Process challenge device)" that represent you actual products in the relevant process characteristics?
  • In case you are planning to use standard sterilization methods (such as irradiation or ethylene oxide), the related standards are pretty specific about required sample sizes.
HTH,

Gerhard

Hi Gerhard,

I have no issue for the processes like the gamma sterilization because the standard is very clear on the methodology and the sampling.
However, it is not the case for the machining, laser marking, packaging processes where no sampling plan is described.

It is asked to use "statistical techniques with rationale for sample sizes ". I do not know which AQL and LTPD to use for my critical characteristics. And which sampling to use for small batch production...

Top Bottom